Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im going down to get my car taxed tommorrow, i need to bring the insurance certificate but that still has the english plate number on it, that wont cause a problem when taxing it will it?

Still havent changed over to my Irish plates, am waiting till tommorrow when i have it taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You must change the plates within 24 hours iirc

Dont know how you will get on re the tax, dont think you have to show your insurance cert anymore though, just fill in your policy number, been a while since i taxed anything so I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Im going down to get my car taxed tommorrow, i need to bring the insurance certificate but that still has the english plate number on it, that wont cause a problem when taxing it will it?

Still havent changed over to my Irish plates, am waiting till tommorrow when i have it taxed.

I'm open to correction but I think the plan is New Plates first.

You can't really pay Irish Tax on a UK registered vehicle now can you?

Also you can do your tax online when you get the R100 form I think it's called so still only one 'visit'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hurley12

Hi,

I have a BMW that I want to clear and I have two values for the CO2 emissions.

Urban conditions 249 and extra urban conditions 147 it then states that the combined value is 185. Obviously I like the 147 number the best. Any-one know what is the suss ?

regards

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

slideways wrote: »
    You must change the plates within 24 hours iirc

Dont know how you will get on re the tax, dont think you have to show your insurance cert anymore though, just fill in your policy number, been a while since i taxed anything so I could be wrong

It's 3 days. You need to display irish plates 3 days after registering it. As you say, you can fill in your policy number on the motor tax online rather than present the cert. Your motor tax online pin should be on the receipt from the VRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

hurley12 wrote: »
    Hi,

Urban conditions 249 and extra urban conditions 147 it then states that the combined value is 185. Obviously I like the 147 number the best. Any-one know what is the suss ?

regards

Brendan

if its new check www.bmw.ie.
    if second hand check:
    http://www.smmt.co.uk/co2/co2search.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

hurley12 wrote: »
    Hi,

regards

Brendan

It's based on combined afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

hi im not sure if this has been covered but i have a 01 seat leon 1.9 diesel currently paying 560e road tax a year, i was to take my car into the north i have access to northern address transfer reg its about 50e roughly keep car on yellow plates for a few months than transfer it back to southern plates i should be able to avail of cheaper road tax 150e a year would i get away with this and would i have to vrt the second time for transfering car as it would have been originally reg in south if i have to pay its only 600e so i think its worth a gamble

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

deaglan169 wrote: »
    hi im not sure if this has been covered but i have a 01 seat leon 1.9 diesel currently paying 560e road tax a year, i was to take my car into the north i have access to northern address transfer reg its about 50e roughly keep car on yellow plates for a few months than transfer it back to southern plates i should be able to avail of cheaper road tax 150e a year would i get away with this and would i have to vrt the second time for transfering car as it would have been originally reg in south if i have to pay its only 600e so i think its worth a gamble

Nice try.....

The new CO2 based road tax is only applicable for cars first registered in 2008 (irrespective of where they are registered). You'll still pay road tax on the old CC based rate.

We'd all be doing something similar if it was possible.......

S.

my understanding was if i bought a secondhand car up north or uk and had v5 or whatever its called stating its CO2 emissions then when i take it over here and pay vrt its put on the new tax system, maybe ive got it completly wrong

• Advertisement

my understanding was if i bought a secondhand car up north or uk and had v5 or whatever its called stating its CO2 emissions then when i take it over here and pay vrt its put on the new tax system, maybe ive got it completly wrong

No- thats correct- but its only for cars first registered in 2008 (irrespective of where they were first registered).
    Any cars from 2007 or previous- are still road taxed on a cc basis.

oh so even i buy say a 04 uk reg car im still gonna be paying the old tax rate like if its a 1.9 560e..............

oh so even i buy say a 04 uk reg car im still gonna be paying the old tax rate like if its a 1.9 560e..............

Yup......
    Its a bummer......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cars first registered before this year will NEVER pay €2k road tax, no matter how much CO2 they pollute. I had thought that this had been put to bed ages ago, but clearly I was wrong.

To answer AudiChris's question, CO2 is based on the combined cycle fuel consumption.

It's 3 days. You need to display irish plates 3 days after registering it. As you say, you can fill in your policy number on the motor tax online rather than present the cert. Your motor tax online pin should be on the receipt from the VRO.

Its 3 working days - it will take Quinn more than 10 days to send me the polciy with my new plate number on it, but that wasnt the problem.

I declared it off the road for June as it wasnt driven in june (even though it was VRT'd on the last day of June), had the Garda stamp the form. Brought all the stuff up and the lads in the motor taxation office wouldnt tax it as I only had an RF100A form rather than a RF100 form (which the VRO office were supposed to give me) and the reciept and form the VRO office give you with your new reg. The form the VRO office gave me was the one with the new reg etc and PIN number to tax it online.

They said I could go and Tax it online no bother, but I couldnt tax it in the office without that RF100 form (which the VRO office where supposed to give me) and therefore they couldnt do it there. So now I have to go tax it pay the extra month, even though i'll be selling it soon, really annoying ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Just download the RF100 form from www.revenue.ie

Not your ornery onager

I know this has been answered already, but just want to point out to you that an existing irish car that is exported and later re-imported will get its old registration number back.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Quick question:confused:
    I have a car to clear that i brought in from the North. The vehicle reg cert was incorrect when i got it (it was down as a lower spec model) and had to be sent back to DVLA in Colleraine to be ammended. The cert also has higher Co2 levels than what Parkers etc.. is saying ( 145gms/Km versus 139gms/Km) . The dealer says he can't get the CO2 info changed.

If I go to the VRO with car, invoice for proof of purchase and print out of CO2 data (ie 139gms/km) from a recognized site as stated on this thread will they accept that. I would just tell them the log book is with the DVLA being ammended. It would bring the car into a lower vrt band (16% from 20%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

Its 3 working days - it will take Quinn more than 10 days to send me the polciy with my new plate number on it, but that wasnt the problem.

I declared it off the road for June as it wasnt driven in june (even though it was VRT'd on the last day of June), had the Garda stamp the form. Brought all the stuff up and the lads in the motor taxation office wouldnt tax it as I only had an RF100A form rather than a RF100 form (which the VRO office were supposed to give me) and the reciept and form the VRO office give you with your new reg. The form the VRO office gave me was the one with the new reg etc and PIN number to tax it online.

They said I could go and Tax it online no bother, but I couldnt tax it in the office without that RF100 form (which the VRO office where supposed to give me) and therefore they couldnt do it there. So now I have to go tax it pay the extra month, even though i'll be selling it soon, really annoying ...

Did you not fill out an RF100 form with the vehicle details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Nodnedlog wrote: »
    Quick question:confused:
    I have a car to clear that i brought in from the North. The vehicle reg cert was incorrect when i got it (it was down as a lower spec model) and had to be sent back to DVLA in Colleraine to be ammended. The cert also has higher Co2 levels than what Parkers etc.. is saying ( 145gms/Km versus 139gms/Km) . The dealer says he can't get the CO2 info changed.

If I go to the VRO with car, invoice for proof of purchase and print out of CO2 data (ie 139gms/km) from a recognized site as stated on this thread will they accept that. I would just tell them the log book is with the DVLA being ammended. It would bring the car into a lower vrt band (16% from 20%)

You need the logbook to register it

• Advertisement

What if the log book was "lost"

What if the log book was "lost"
    Well then you will have to send to Swansea for a new one and will be given a letter to say you have tried to clear it from the revenue

Well then you will have to send to Swansea for a new one and will be given a letter to say you have tried to clear it from the revenue

Will they automatically take the co2 levels from the logbook or will they accept an alternative source if you have a proof from one of the recognised websites?

I would imagine they will end up taking which ever one is higher

esel wrote: »
    ^ Just download the RF100 form from www.revenue.ie

I cant, only the RF100A form is there to download, afaik the RF100 is avaialbe from dealers and the VRO when your buying your car/registering it:mad:. The Vro told me to get it off the dealer, them ****ers were meant to give it me. why does it all have to such a hassle

I would imagine they will end up taking which ever one is higher
    Wtf? Why would a person try to prove that the VR5 CO2 figure was too low? The figure from the VR5 will apply. :D

Not your ornery onager

Wtf? Why would a person try to prove that the VR5 CO2 figure was too low? The figure from the VR5 will apply. :D
    There is all sorts of stupid people out there.
    If you didnt realise that your co2 emissions were stated on your VR5 and got a printout from simi or the like, that stated it to be higher than was printed on your Uk documentation, i'd bet a years abstinance from nookie that they would take the higher figure

You wouldn't. read the previous posts. You would however be entitled to try (probably in vain) to prove the V5 document was too high and thus save a few quid.

BTW is there an independent co2 test that can be carried out or is it co2 at time of manufacture?

..... read the previous posts.
    I have been following the thread from the beginning, thanks.
    BTW is there an independent co2 test that can be carried out or is it co2 at time of manufacture?
    You cannot use an independent test figure, and even if you could, you would be very hard pressed to improve on the manufacturer's figure.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rocha

Hi folks,

I've tried to read all previous posts and a question as arose,

from what i read on the first thread, it it written there:

The new VRT system is applicable only to cars bought new in this country or imported from another country (new or second hand) and registered after 01/07/2008

- my question is, I've been reading on this same topic speaking about importing cars with over 1 year (particularly diesel) to make the most of the new tax system. So.. is the new tax system also aplicable to old imported cars?

I'm considering importing a 2002 seat leon tdi from the UK, but only if i'll take advantage of the new tax system.

Could someone clarify?

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement