Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Soarer wrote: »
    Same applies here. The V5 is the official record of when the car is sold. If the official document doesn't suffice anymore, and what's required is some sort of handwritten/printed receipt from an unknown 3rd party from God only knows where, the system is deeply flawed.

Supply and change of ownership are 2 totally separate issues. The V5, the same as a VLC shows nothing but the date that the owner signed a document. A person need never change the ownership of their car in that case and we'd all be going around charging fines to the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

ninty9er wrote: »
    Supply and change of ownership are 2 totally separate issues. The V5, the same as a VLC shows nothing but the date that the owner signed a document. A person need never change the ownership of their car in that case and we'd all be going around charging fines to the previous owner.

I really think you're nitpicking over the choice of words. If I'm wrong though, I'll be the first to apologise. ;)

But explain to me what would happen if the car was purchased privately, and no receipt was given. What would be used as the, as you put it, supply date? They wouldn't use the date on the V5 by any chance?

Soarer wrote: »
    I really think you're nitpicking over the choice of words. If I'm wrong though, I'll be the first to apologise. ;)

But explain to me what would happen if the car was purchased privately, and no receipt was given. What would be used as the, as you put it, supply date? They wouldn't use the date on the V5 by any chance?

I'm assuming here but:

I assume they would ask for the seller to provide a receipt of sale and/or possibly a bank statement from the buyer to back it up. just the same as a credit union or bank require an invoice in the case of private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bank will (or used to until recently) give a car loan without even asking the make of car. OK, maybe not for an almost new BMW, but the point stands. And comparing the VRO to a bank is not a valid comparison anyway.

*kicks small roundy brown things away from door before exiting*

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Bank will (or used to until recently) give a car loan without even asking the make of car. OK, maybe not for an almost new BMW, but the point stands. And comparing the VRO to a bank is not a valid comparison anyway.

*kicks small roundy brown things away from door before exiting*

My dad bought a 2 year old Citroën Xsara privately in 2004 for €8k and was asked to produce an invoice from the private seller to prove what the money was for before it was released, I had to do similar in January before the €5k for my car was released in the form of a cheque to the dealer (what good would it have been to me, but I still had to provide the invoice)

If you saw the recent bull**** thread on a €3k loan being declined you'll see that it had nothing to do with his credit rating either.

It's about burden of PROOF. Revenue are entirely within their rights to charge VAT on the car in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The vehicle was 4 months old when supplied. To prove or disporve this a receipt would be required.

Revenue are just doing their job...or rather this individual is going aboiut his/her job in the correct manner. How inconvenient.

My understanding is that the taxation is calculated from the date of entry into Ireland. OP only brought the car into the jurisdication this week so should not be paying VAT. When they purchased is irrelevant. Age of car when it entered Ireland is what matters. OP: I also reckon this guy is bluffing. Appeal it if charged.

Age of car when it entered Ireland is what matters. OP: I also reckon this guy is bluffing. Appeal it if charged.

Pay up and appeal is the only option really

As regards not bringing the car in: there's obviously a burden of proof here on the OP agian that is impossible to prove, though it could be argued with a different VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Pay up and appeal is the only option really

As regards not bringing the car in: there's obviously a burden of proof here on the OP agian that is impossible to prove, though it could be argued with a different VRO.

He needs no proof that I can tell. If VRO believe he has brought it in earlier, it is up to them to prove that. He should go to a different VRO, as there's no way he should be paying. All the Revenue websites etc make no mention of time of purchase, only time of entry into Ireland.

He needs no proof that I can tell. If VRO believe he has brought it in earlier, it is up to them to prove that. He should go to a different VRO, as there's no way he should be paying. All the Revenue websites etc make no mention of time of purchase, only time of entry into Ireland.
    Read the quote above re: VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

quick one for yez lads....

I got an english import (2005) and the dublin garage registered it for me - they gave me a form that I have to use when taxing it but I can't really take a day off to go to my local tax office. Can I post it in to them with a cheque instead of having to physically go to their offices?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I think you can tax it online, and the PIN number to use is the last 6 digits of the chassis number.

It's something like that anyway. Someone will be along to confirm soon.

Just did a bit of digging and turns out you can't apply for your first tax online if it's an import - need to send in the rf100 form, bank draft and insurance details to the office by post and they sort it out from there.

Next tax due, I can do it online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

smokingman wrote: »
    Just did a bit of digging and turns out you can't apply for your first tax online if it's an import - need to send in the rf100 form, bank draft and insurance details to the office by post and they sort it out from there.

Next tax due, I can do it online though.

Spot on. If it is the first time the car is taxed in this country, you have to send it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

unkel wrote: »
    Spot on. If it is the first time the car is taxed in this country, you have to send it in.

I've always done it online -

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=firstlicensinginfo

all with imported cars.

No need to go anywhere once you have a Laser or Credit Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Just did a bit of digging and turns out you can't apply for your first tax online if it's an import .

Not True.

Thanks for the confirmation Paul. I coulda sworn you could do it online.

For clarification though, can you tell us how it's done? Is it the reg number first, then the last few digits of the chassis number as the PIN?

It'd be good to get the info onto this thread since it's stickied.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I've always done it online -

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=firstlicensinginfo

all with imported cars.

No need to go anywhere once you have a Laser or Credit Card.

Yep, you're right. I got confused with imported cars that have previously been taxed by the previous owner (as in my own situation). In this case you cannot tax it only. With any newly imported car you can:
    Taxing a new or imported vehicle is straightforward. You will need to have the following items before starting the process:
    Your RF100 form which you should have received either from your Motor Dealer or the Revenue Commissioners. This contains your vehicle registration number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) which are required to login to the service. Please retain the RF100 form carefully.
    Your vehicle insurance details (name of insurer, policy number and expiry date).
    Your payment card (Laser, Visa or MasterCard).

Please note that the motor tax payable online for a new or imported vehicle is calculated from the beginning of the month of registration and online applications may only be made from the next working day after the vehicle has been registered.

If you have recently become the owner of a previously taxed vehicle you cannot use this facility. In these circumstances you can only tax the vehicle online if you have received a motor tax renewal reminder notice incorporating a special PIN for its purpose.

It is not possible to tax a Commercial (Goods) vehicle online.
    The process is broken down into a series of easy to understand steps:
    Login at the foot of this page using the vehicle registration number and the PIN, which is the last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number, as printed on your RF100 form. For example, if your chassis number is KMHUD31LPXU478J27, your PIN is 478J27.
    Choose a tax class and confirm details of your vehicle - they will be displayed on the screen for you.
    Confirm your name and address - again, these will be shown on screen but you may record a change of address.
    Enter your vehicle insurance details.
    Select the period of taxation.
    Enter your card details for payment.

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. I got confused with imported cars that have previously been taxed by the previous owner (as in my own situation). In this case you cannot tax it only. With any newly imported car you can:
    PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Not True.

I stand corrected, cheers lads - that'll save me some time :)

that'll save me some time :)

In my case (where an imported car was already previously taxed by the previous owner) I couldn't officially tax the car online.

But a phone call to Shannon later, they'd agreed to send me a pin in the post, which they promptly did. So I DID tax it online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads one question, does it effect all cars that allready registered in ireland, will we be paying by old system or what? thank you.

• Advertisement

Lads one question, does it effect all cars that allready registered in ireland, will we be paying by old system or what? thank you.

Already registered 08 cars pay whichever is cheapest.

All other cars already registered...NO CHANGE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Already registered 08 cars pay whichever is cheapest.

All other cars already registered...NO CHANGE

ty m8. i am non english speaker, so reading a wall of text makes me confused :).

cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

hi just wondering can anyone make a few things clear. I'm thinking of importing a golf from the uk. its a 1.6 automatic 1999 & has a co2 of 201. the question is which road tax will i be paying. the old system or the new system. there's a big difference between the two.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As it is a used (pre 2008) car that you are importing then it will be on the new VRT but on the old motor tax rates.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Imagine the number of threads on this had the sticky not been made!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

hi just wondering can anyone make a few things clear. I'm thinking of importing a golf from the uk. its a 1.6 automatic 1999 & has a co2 of 201. the question is which road tax will i be paying. the old system or the new system. there's a big difference between the two.

must be a very special 99 Golf, ireland 2nd Hand Market is full of them. have you checked irish prices compared to UK?

I know yeah.
    Why can't people just read the first post of the thread?

P.S. That's not directed only at the bruno_12345, and no offence is intended. It's directed at everyone that has a question about the new VRT and tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Car Import Tips

1. Car Check
    Get the car checked, RAC or AA do it. You dont need the hassle of buying a banger.

2. Sterling exchange rate
    Shop around for your sterling. Contact your bank, another bank and currency.ie to see who offers the cheapest sterling. You'll save a few hundred euro.

3. Financing
    I almost bought a car, owner told me there was no financing owed. turns out their was over 20k owed which i found 2 hours before transferring. You dont want to find out you've just paid out to keep the banks car seat warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi Guys,

I wanted to pay my VRT for the last few months, but I am asking them to review the cost and wrote this letter. I don't want to make a big foss of it, I am keene to pay but I think they need to be fair.

To whom it may concern,

I wish to query the registration charge of my car. Last April I imported a 1981 Porsche 924 automatic, which is a classic car and will be a vintage in the next 2-3 years.

The car was not in driveable condition when I brought it in and had to be transported to my house where I planned to restore it. There is still electrical and lights work to be done on it.

The value given was around €2,800 as a car like this is only valued at most €1,000 with a MOT in the UK. I do not believe that there is a €1800 difference especially that my car was not in a state of driving so far.

The estimated value of the car also include the government tax as stated in your website, so on order to correctly calculate the VRT to be charged this should be deducted from the estimate value price which significantly reduces the amount to be paid.

Applying the maximum charge of 36% is unfair as I cannot be responsible because car manufacturers did not give Co2 emission readings 27 years ago. It is not fair practice to be accountable for a new regulation which did not exist twenty years ago, and especially when I am prepared to have my car tested any where in order to comply with the regulations. I paid around €500 for the car and did not expect to pay around €900 of VRT, especially for a collection car and vintage club registered.

I would like you to review the V.R.T rate that is being applied to my car and I have no problem bringing my car to an organisation approved by the Revenue Commissioners to have its CO2 emissions tested as per your document ANNEX D, if you could kindly tell me where I can get this done.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I would be very much obliged if you could help me as I am a law abiding citizen that wishes to pay V.R.T on my car but would like to get the correct rating for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement