Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

port wrote: »
    Thanks E92,great work.Please post spread sheet for BMW.

bmw was one of the first ones done, have a look back a few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

i've seen the light :confused: 16% is realy 19% and i am going to save e2,500 instead of previous e1,700 :D:D thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

copacetic wrote: »
    bmw was one of the first ones done, have a look back a few pages

Cleaned my glassess and found it,thanks.

Thanks again E92,great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

comment on what? it's sums. the only comment they can make is whether they are planning to shaft people or not.
    In the immortal words of Van Halen: that which is understood need not be discussed: shafting is one of SIMI's core values.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fair play E92; some top notch work.

On the price pass on, i reckon rather than bottom out the price we're more likely to see the end of steel wheels, wind down rear windows, cars without traction control, anything without fog lights etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Fair play E92 - great work

Somewhat worrying tho' as an owner of a 520d M-Sport that it should drop by up to 10k!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

TheBazman wrote: »
    Somewhat worrying tho' as an owner of a 520d M-Sport that it should drop by up to 10k!

It will drop by at least 10k, and that's before you start adding options to it(in which case the saving gets bigger and bigger). Assuming you've got the manual version. The Auto will only be in the 20% VRT, so the drop for these won't be quite as dramatic, but I don't think BMW will sell too many Auto 520d's after July, because relatively speaking a 520d with an Autobox will be very expensive indeed.

And thanks to all of you for your positive comments:)!

@essl: the calculations are done calculating VRT the proper way(the way so many people thought was wrong)!

ninty9er wrote: »
    On the price pass on, i reckon rather than bottom out the price we're more likely to see the end of steel wheels, wind down rear windows, cars without traction control, anything without fog lights etc.....

That I would say will be highly likely, so I wouldn't rule out the notion that some cars won't drop their price at all, but instead have far more kit as standard.

If cars come with more kit after July, I don't see how people can complain about that.

Last ones for sometime(won't be able to do them for another while I don't think).
    Ford seems to be similar enough to Toyota.
    Honda Civic is an excellent performer it must be said... they(non Hybrid ones) give you BMW EfficientDymanics style low emissions, as long as you stick with the hatchback and avoid the Type-R.
    And the Focus prices are for the Mk2 Focus, a Mk3 is on the way very shortly(I don't have the prices for the Mk3 Focus), and as it is almost mechanically identical to the Mk2, so the prices should be viewed as a good guess for July(excluding the 1.6 TDCi 90 PS whose emissions are going down to 119 g/km for the Mk3 and hence 14% VRT).

I posted this last night, but I made a couple of errors, the Accord Autos, and I also forgot about the FFV Fords getting a 50% VRT rebate.

A couple of people asked about VRT and motor tax.

Old system: Based solely on engine size nothing to do with emissions.

Band A1: <1401 cc, 22.5% VRT i.e. anything 1.4 or lower except for the Mazda RX-8, which is for taxation purposes a 1.8(1755 cc) in spite of having a 1308 cc engine
    Band A2: 1401-1900 cc, 25% VRT i.e. 1.5 -1.9 cars, with the exception of Saab, Opel, Fiat and Alfa 1.9 diesels(1910 cc)
    Band A3: >1900 cc, 30% VRT, everything else

Exceptions: Hybrids and FFV's, 50% VRT rebate i.e. the VRT rate is the same as before divided by 2. Example: Ford Focus 1.8 FFV. Normal VRT rate is 25%, but ecause it's an FFV, this is divided by 2 and therefore attracts 12.5% VRT

Road tax calculated on engine size, no exceptions or special discounts for hybrids, FFV's etc, apart from the Mazda RX-8(see above)

New system: nothing to do with engine sizes, everything to do with emissions.

Band A: 0-120 g/km, 14% VRT, €100 road tax
    Band B: 121-140 g/km, 16% VRT, €150 road tax
    Band C: 141-155 g/km, 20% VRT, €290 road tax
    Band D: 156-170 g/km, 24% VRT, €430 road tax
    Band E: 171-190 g/km, 28% VRT, €600 road tax
    Band F: 191-225 g/km, 32% VRT, €1,000 road tax
    Band G: >225 g/km, 36% VRT, €2,000 road tax

And a rebate of up to €2,500 for hybrids and FFVs, exact details yet to be confirmed by the Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Excellent work E92.
    A current E90 driver who could possibly be tempted back to my GTi days (size wise) if the 123d coupe comes in at generous pricing..

alpina wrote: »
    A current E90 driver who could possibly be tempted back to my GTi days (size wise) if the 123d coupe comes in at generous pricing..

You don't know the prices of the 1 series Coupé by any chance?

The 123d 5 door SE can be had for under 40 grand if that's any good to you after July.

What about a petrol 325i? Straight 6 noise, and going down by at least 4,170 after July, 24% VRT and €430 tax(compared to 1290 now)(it will be cheaper than a 320d is now)? I think that's what's called having your cake and eating it.

Sorry no accurate pricing, but off hand believe coupe's starting at 46k for 120 & 50k for 123d.

Again don't take as concrete..

alpina wrote: »
    Sorry no accurate pricing, but off hand believe coupe's starting at 46k for 120 & 50k for 123d.

Again don't take as concrete..

They sound believeable, having checked the prices of the 5 door 120d and 123d.

If the 123d costs €50k now, with 16% VRT you're talking about €41,667 being the entry price for a 123d not to mention €150 road tax.

Sure is tempting for a car that should be a blast to drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

With my e46 325i from 2004 my understanding is that I would have to pay 1000 quid because it is supposed to produce over 200g/CO2
    But my car is a SULEV and I keep reading it produces less CO2 that a normal E46 325i, without having the chance to actually see how much.
    I have to get this from the dealer if I want to escape the SUPER 1k tax.

Anyone working at BMW?

mick.fr wrote: »
    With my e46 325i from 2004 my understanding is that I would have to pay 1000 quid because it is supposed to produce over 200g/CO2
    But my car is a SULEV and I keep reading it produces less CO2 that a normal E46 325i, without having the chance to actually see how much.
    I have to get this from the dealer if I want to escape the SUPER 1k tax.

Anyone working at BMW?

are you bringing it in after july? If you currently have it you are fine. The changes are only for cars bought or imported after July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

are you bringing it in after july? If you currently have it you are fine. The changes are only for cars bought or imported after July

Arf yeah ok sorry thanks
    In that case I am getting closer to the 1000 lol. I was hoping to pay 500.
    Will be a bit about 900 I have read.

Here is another one, of course we already know that the VRT savings on the Punto aren't going to be fully passed on, but I put in what they should be costing in July anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

comment on what? it's sums. the only comment they can make is whether they are planning to shaft people or not.
    That, I guess, was my point. I wouldn't assume that because what the price should be is what it actually will be and I'd be curious as to the reasons.
    Anyhow, a number of manufacturers keep an eye on the various motoring forums, I'm sure some of them are aware of these price lists.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    That, I guess, was my point. I wouldn't assume that because what the price should be is what it actually will be and I'd be curious as to the reasons.
    Anyhow, a number of manufacturers keep an eye on the various motoring forums, I'm sure some of them are aware of these price lists.

yes, but they are hardly going to say that to someone from the internet who sends them a excel spreadsheet! I don't think anyone is assuming these will be the actual prices, but they are what the prices should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chazwazza

Im about to buy a 01/02 Alfa 156 1.6 Sportivo could anyone please let me know what the expected new tax rate will be in Summer 2008?

Thanks

chazwazza wrote: »
    Im about to buy a 01/02 Alfa 156 1.6 Sportivo could anyone please let me know what the expected new tax rate will be in Summer 2008?

Thanks

See the first page of this sticky. Its only anything registered after July this year that's changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

E92 wrote: »
    See the first page of this sticky. Its only anything registered after July this year that's changing.

I though 2nd hand imports from the UK (and elsewhere, obviously) were also effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

chazwazza wrote: »

If you are importing it into Ireland and registering it here after 01/07/2008 then the tax rate will be €1,000 per year. If you are buying it in Ireland or importing it before 01/07/2008, the tax rate will be €426 per year. The CO2 rating is 195g/km

Anyone know what diesels are going to be offered?

I know the 1.6 with 89 bhp is coming.

And the ECOnetic with 108 bhp is coming.

But are they now going to bring in the 2.0 TDCi as it will now qualify for 20% VRT in July, and will they still bring in the Lynx diesel 1.8 TDCi 113 bhp and 139 g/km CO2 and 16% VRT, or will they bring in a non ECOnetic 108 bhp of the 1.6 which pollutes 20 g/km less and would therefore get in with 14% VRT and €50 less road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

hi lads

girlfriend just went out and is about to buy a hyundai santa fe 2001 petrol -

looking for the co2 emissions on the net and cant seem to find the correct one -

anybody shed some light? dont want to be forking 2k per year tax

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Brianz - it won't make a difference to her - the new tax rates only apply to vehicles bought new or imported after July. She will pay the current tax (which will increase anyhow soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

thats brilliant

thanks mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Currently Revenue quote OMSPs for a range of cars.
    I'm wondering will there be any immediate downward shift after July to cheaper OMSPs?

E.g. take in a late '07 520d (with 16% VRT) from the UK after July 1st, what are revenue going to be basing the OMSP on? Surely their total should be calculated from the 16% VRT included figure (for the brand new model) instead of the 30% estimate (most 2nd hand models) to give you the OMSP?
    Of course I assume you will be quoted 16% of this figure as the VRT payable but I'm not sure if the OMSP will be the correct amount.

Unless they are going to do a shed load of work late June to recalculate all the OMSPs? I can't see it happening if the majority of these models on Irish roads will still be proportionally dearer version.

Also, E92, from your spreadsheet RS4 cab down about 30k? Am I dreaming?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement