Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

messed up order of speech

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    i didnt realise this subforum existed!
    i have a problem with my speech from time to time
    for example, this is one of many examples now, but here it is, i mean to say, 'as teh crow flies' and i said 'as the flow cries'

this happens to me a lot, and no i dont take any drugs, and never have, i also have a problem with word retrievel sometimes, simple words now, but words i woodnt use regularly
    any ideas what this might be ?
    its starting to worry me
    thanks very much
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

hi guys
    i didnt realise this subforum existed!
    i have a problem with my speech from time to time
    for example, this is one of many examples now, but here it is, i mean to say, 'as teh crow flies' and i said 'as the flow cries'

this happens to me a lot, and no i dont take any drugs, and never have, i also have a problem with word retrievel sometimes, simple words now, but words i woodnt use regularly
    any ideas what this might be ?
    its starting to worry me
    thanks very much
    ed

Welcome to the forum!
    Do you ever get block just before you say a sentence like the example above, by a block I mean when you go to say a word but nothing comes out only maybe a sound. I don't think it sounds like you have a stammer. I know a lot of fluent speakers who get sentences mixed up. People who stammer would use a technique called word substitution, if they think they're going to stammer on a word then they just avoid it and replace it with a different word, it doesn't sound like you have that problem though.
    I know I probably didn't help much, maybe someone else could offer more advice...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Spoonerism ftw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hey Blackhorse I had a look at that link and that sounds like more of an intentional speech occurrence.. or maybe I didn't interpret this properly.

Eurotrotter. This happens me the odd time! I was putting it down to how I visualise the words and that I've visualised the whole sentence before I've actually spoken it...I think it's thinking too fast?!! I used to have a stammer and so I thought this was part of the whole thing but if I'm thinking clearly it never happens and anyway when it does it's very occasional.

You know how they've identified dyslexia..well I wonder is that what this kind of problem is, just that it's in reverse and therefore harder to sort of classify?

Advertisement