Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you regret your tattoo?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I think i want to get a tattoo, but i do still have doubts.
    Most people seem happy with their tattoo forever, so i was wondering is there anyone who wishes they never got a tattoo, or just got sick of the design.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

nope. though, i think it may depend largely on the reasons behind getting the tattoos. mine are all very important to me, and represent large parts of my life... i can't see why i would ever be sick of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

do i regret my tattoo - not one bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm not sure I'd agree with the statement that 'most' people are happy with their tattoo forever. My experience is purely anecdotal but most people I know with tattoos are bored of them after a few years- these people usually have small, unoriginal tattoos that they are now bored with, or wish that they had put more thought into. The people I know who don't regret their tattoos are generally the ones with larger, unique tattoos that they put a lot of thought and planning into and (this can be a huge factor) did NOT skimp on the tattoo, money wise, ie: settling for a smaller design or going to a crappy artist.

So from what I've seen, you can cut down on the risk of future regret by putting a lot of time and effort into your design- find an artist you're happy with and save up til you can afford the EXACT tattoo you like, and think about the possible impact this tattoo could have on your future (I've known several brides with visible tats who regretted them on their wedding day as they were 'too visible' with the dress- people don't always think about stuff like that) If you're 100% happy with the design and the experience I think you'll be way less likely to regret it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

but do ye have the tatts for long? im thinkin in like 20 or 30 years time i could regret it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭aido182

Not yet. Like Narco, mine kinda mark something important to me and a lot of thought and planning went into them so I cant really imagine ever regretting them.

BUT if you have doubts, wait until you are sure before marking your skin for life. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

well i have been putting some thought into the design, Its a design i'm putting together myself so i can be sure its what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What I did was I got the design I wanted, and I actually held onto it for two years or so to be sure it was exactly what I wanted!

My second one I saw on the day I was getting it done, but I put my faith in the artist, and had explained to him what I wanted, where I wanted it and how I wanted it to look, and he surpassed my expectations :D

Regrets? No, and I don't think I ever will have :)

ya, a lot of people say to look at the design every day for a few weeks to make sure u like it. 2 years seems a long time though lol. But at least u'd be sure u wouldnt get bored of it.

Exactly! :D

It was a combination of that and working up the nerve to get myself tattooed! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I regret mine, I don't like how it looks and it reminds me of a bad time in my life.
    I'm getting it lasered off in the new year.

• Advertisement

ya the working up the nerve to get it done is a major problem for me. Ive been thinkin of gettin a tattoo for years but this is the furthest iv got.

Can I ask what yours is eth0_ ? (as opposed to going trawling through the show you mine thread ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

What the others said. I waited a long time too and I am happy with my design even though the artist did make a rather large mistake. Too late now to complain eh!

Remember it's your body. If you're sure this is what you want then how can you have regrets? So time passes and your views may change but remember you really wanted it at the time and you put in the necessary effort. That's life. No regrets.

ya. i think its important where i get it. As some1 already mentioned it, i may not always want it on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

eth0_ wrote: »
    I regret mine, I don't like how it looks and it reminds me of a bad time in my life.
    I'm getting it lasered off in the new year.

:eek::eek: Isn't a comment like that enough to get someone de modded on this board. The right thing to say then would of been, "I'm getting it covered up with some big nasty looking koi carp and some stars cos stars are awesome" :P

what's de modded???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

eth0_ is a moderator. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My tats are reminders of people and places I love so, no I can't/ won't regret them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't regret mine, got the first one done 12 years ago, and there are times when I *still* think "I'd love a tattoo of ...<my tattoo> and then I remember I already have one and I'm chuffed. I have mine on my arms, and I forget they are there. Sometimes I'll see one when I'm in the shower and it's like seeing it for the first time again, I'll spend ages looking at it. I <3 my tattoos, honestly.

:eek::eek: Isn't a comment like that enough to get someone de modded on this board. The right thing to say then would of been, "I'm getting it covered up with some big nasty looking koi carp and some stars cos stars are awesome" :P

are... are you implying stars aren't cool?!:eek::(

• Advertisement

maybe he is,
    i think theyre done to death and very few are original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I waited a year before getting my first one. I was sure it was what I wanted. I was told on the day that I couldn't get it where I wanted, but I think I prefer it where it is now - on my left forearm. Its been two years since I got it and I still love it. Like tbh said, sometimes you look rediscover it while in the shower, writing or typing with your sleeves rolled up, or in photos. I don't think I'll ever get bored of it, but you'll have to check back in 20 or 30 years for a definitive answer. My only qualm with it is that the artist wasn't the best. It doesn't really impact the image (its a name in an ancient language, so it doesn't really matter if the lines are a bit wavy, uneven, and not of uniform thickness or lenght) but it did make me glad I didn't go for anything more complicated, because if the fella messed up on my incredibly simple tattoo I'd hate to think what he could do with something more complex.

My second tattoo I got over the summer, completely on impulse. I don't regret it yet, but I definately don't have the same attatchment to it as I have with my first.

narco wrote: »
    Wilburt wrote: »
    maybe he is,
    i think theyre done to death and very few are original

While I'm still on my mario galaxy buzz...

120px-Bluestarsmg.PNG

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

narco wrote: »

Having some star tattoo's myself puts me in the unique position to say yes stars are lame but mainly nautical stars and especially nautical stars on the elbow or neck. But I only get tattooed for my own amusement so i don't care that they are lame

edit: @ damo i really really really want a wii and mario galaxy, you baxtard

i did want to get a stars tattoo after i saw someone wit different colour stars on her foot but i changed my mind coz stars dont really have any particular meaning to me. Someone has a cool pic of some1s stars tattoo on show u mine if u show me urs thread

hehe, im well aware that stars in general, are not cool. im just joking, cos, obviously i have some, but it was something i decided in 6th class/first year that i wanted, and wehn i was 18, i was getting inked on me, and by the time i was 18, i still wanted it, and wasn't about to not get it just cos other people had something similar.

phi3 wrote: »
    Someone has a cool pic of some1s stars tattoo on show u mine if u show me urs thread
    Probably [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/119003/45555.JPG[/url]

edit: @ damo i really really really want a wii and mario galaxy, you baxtard
    It's awesome! Get it!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

No regrets in life, none for my tats either. It might be a factor that they are mostly on my back (different one on each shoulder blade and one up the spine), and therefore not starting me in the face ;) The 4th was originally for an ex, but is ambiguous enough that I've adapted the meaning to fit my life now. 2 were impulse tattoos, and 2 were planned and I don't think it has much of an affect on how I feel about them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I got my first tattoo when I was 14, I think my husband is more embarrassed of it than I am, Its a rose.....

Its 14 years old....

I have got another couple of tattoos since I love them all...

Its up to you, and what you like. Think what you gonna be like at 50 with a tattoo on you.

• Advertisement

yesh.....

Advertisement