Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB setup query

Options
  • 11-12-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I have IBB 3 meg dsl. I have a bog standard netgear dsl modem which is plugged into a belkin wireless access point. The belkin lets me connect wirelessly, and lets the netgear handle the dhcp. When I'm connected, i usually get an ip of 192.168.0.5, with the gateway being 192.168.0.1 - this is the netgear router.

If another client tries to connect they get an ip address conflict error message. So, if I set them up manually with similar ip settings as myself (diff ip address in the same range, same netmask and default gateway), they can connect to the router fine - but they can't view web pages. It's not a DNS issue as they are using the same DNS settings as myself, I've tried the DNS servers on the router too - and they can't connect to IPs online either.

Have IBB restricted me to one client connect for this modem? If so, I'll be pretty annoyed.

Can I get the belkin access point to take care of the DHCP for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

if you define IP and DNS statically you must set gateway too, 192.168.0.1 or else nothing gets to talk to Internet.

Make sure any DHCP server is turned off on Belkin. You can't have two DHCP servers on the same LAN.

The Router should be Automatic for DNS, thus getting IBB's DSL DNS IPs as well as DSL IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

watty wrote: »
    if you define IP and DNS statically you must set gateway too, 192.168.0.1 or else nothing gets to talk to Internet.

Make sure any DHCP server is turned off on Belkin. You can't have two DHCP servers on the same LAN.

The Router should be Automatic for DNS, thus getting IBB's DSL DNS IPs as well as DSL IP.

You may have misunderstood me. I did set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 as well when I created it statically. Sorry for not being clear. :)

DHCP is off on the Belkin.

It should be automatic, but it's not unfortunately. It's fine for one client but not for any more than that. It won't assign IPs for more than one client. I've telnet'd to the modem and I can see it allows 254 clients to connect, and that the IP leases are good for 300 hours.

What I'm wondering is, if I turn off DHCP on the Netgear, and turn it on on the Belkin would this resolve this issue, or do Irish BB only give an IP address to one client.

Thanks.
    pid().

Belkin access point doesn't have DHCP. Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Yer only gonna get one ip from IBB. That's not to say that you can only use one machine at a time. What's the model of the Belkin? Is it a full router or just an access point? really what you need to do is set the Belkin up as the gateway, getting the public ip from the modem via dhcp and then serve private ips to the rest of your network. If the Belkin has no routing capabilities yer on to a loser.

moynihan wrote: »
    Yer only gonna get one ip from IBB. That's not to say that you can only use one machine at a time. What's the model of the Belkin? Is it a full router or just an access point? really what you need to do is set the Belkin up as the gateway, getting the public ip from the modem via dhcp and then serve private ips to the rest of your network. If the Belkin has no routing capabilities yer on to a loser.

Cheers moynihan. I'm going to have to get a wireless router as the Belkin is just an access point and as such it has no DHCP server on it.

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the Netgear has multiple ethernet ports and is a router rather than DSL modem only, then your setup should work. If the netgear is only a modem, then you need something different.

Yeah it's a modem only watty. Just the one ethernet port on there. It's fine - I have a router in Shannon. I'll bring it up after Christmas.

Advertisement