Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City Storm VS DKIT Ravens

• 11-12-2007 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Kilkenny City Storm VS DKIT Ravens
    WED 12/12/2007 ~8:30pm
    Dundalk IceDome
    This will be my first Kilkenny city game so I am wondering if there is a bit of a crowd that travels up with the team? The DKIT Ravens brings a good crowd so I'm hoping their be a good atmosphere.

Entry is free and DKIT are playing so the drink will be cheap :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

what game is it? ice-hockey? [pardon my ignorance]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Yes it's ice hockey. This is the first year if the new Irish Ice Hockey league (IIHL) and the Kilkenny city storm play in the IIHDL, which is the development division designed to help new irish players improve their game while they aim to play in the IIHL at a later date.

Kilkenny city storm had been around for a while though. They also play inline line roller hockey.

I hope some from Kilkenny will make the trip to to see the team and check out the facility in Dundalk. Rumour last year was that the council rejected plans to build a multi million € facility in Kilkenny, these plans also included and ice rink.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ice Hockey....Kilkenny....Ice Hockey...the mind boggles!

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ice Hockey....Kilkenny....Ice Hockey...the mind boggles!

Why whats up with that? It's great to see. Surely if a few of your hurlers could ice skate they'd have a great advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the mind boggles because they've nowhere to skate here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Stephen wrote: »

To be fair now, it was very cold last night, so maybe they got a bit of practice in this morning before it thawed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

KevinMc wrote: »

I hope some from Kilkenny will make the trip to to see the team and check out the facility in Dundalk. Rumour last year was that the council rejected plans to build a multi million € facility in Kilkenny, these plans also included and ice rink.

far as i know the council still have to decide if there going to rezone land for the sports complex to go ahead out beside the new mart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote: »

Glad somebody got what I was getting at :)

far as i know the council still have to decide if there going to rezone land for the sports complex to go ahead out beside the new mart

Why wouldn't they. it's a great idea and i'm sure it would do a business since it's quite a bit away from dundalk. The people in Dundalk are working really hard to get a new generation of Ice Hockey players and figure skaters but the country need more ice rinks.

I hope some of you on here from Kilkenny are thinking bout going up this evening.

So whos going, would be nice to see so Kilkenny flags in the stands. ;)

• Advertisement

Kilkenny City Storm 4 -DKIT Ravens 1
    Kilkenny City Storm beat the DKIT Ravens at the Dundalk Ice Dome last night is what was, despite what the score line suggests, a closely fought contest. Kilkenny started strong, playing most of the first period in their offensive zone and the Ravens goalkeeper was called on a few times to make good saves. But Kilkenny drew firsty blood a minute from the end of the period, making 1-0 going into the first intermission.

The second period was a little more even as the Ravens found their legs and started to move the puck about, creating a few chances. They managed to find the equaliser as the period got more physical and a few of the players looked like they might be up for a fight.

Kilkenny took an early 1 goal lead in the final period and never looked back, scoring another 2 before the end. There was a good atmosphere at this one with the students taking advantage of the free entry and reduced drink to come along and support the Ravens.

Well done to both teams. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Just to give people a history of Irish Ice hockey!

There are two full rinks in Ireland Dundonald in Belfast opened in 1986 and Dundalk ice dome which open in December 2006.

Since the Ice Dome in Dundalk opened it has created a new sport and for me to get hit in the head with pucks as i am the Ravens goalie!

For some people including myself Dundalk is a unique opportunity to play a sport that is so fast and intense.

Kilkenny are a roller hockey team who have huge experience with Roller hockey and took to ice in the B league!

It would be great to see as many people as possible from Kilkenny to come up and support their team and even go for a skate. As i for one am looking forward to our next game.

Below is the history it is a bit out of date but makes for a interesting read. Irish have been promoted to Div 2 after the world Championships in Dundalk in April

Some useful links

Dundalk ice dome: www.dundalkicedome.com
    Irish Ice hockey ASs: www.iha.org

History of Irish Ice Hockey

International ice hockey has established its place for decades in the world of sport, and it is no wonder that Ireland with its proud history of athletic prowess has recently joined international competition on the ice. In May 1996, at the prestigious General Congress of the International Ice Hockey Federation, the Republic of Ireland was nominated by Fredrick Meredith of Great Britain to be accepted as a member to the world governing body of ice hockey. The second nomination was voiced by Murray Costello of Canada. The vote was put forth to the 54 member countries of the IIHF, and in a historic moment, Ireland had earned a place on the international ice hockey scene. The membership to the IIHF was the culmination of years of commitment, dedication, and more than a little love for the development of ice hockey within Ireland.

As history often relates, ice hockey in Ireland has not always run so smoothly. After many years of ups and downs, Irish ice hockey has survived in Dublin despite inadequate facilities and lack of professional instruction. Today the IIHA holds over 100 members of old and young alike whose love for the game has compelled Irish ice hockey to finally compete at the international level. The IIHA has undoubtedly earned its success, and managed to become the best thing to happen to ice hockey in Ireland. The following history is only an icy taste of over two decades of pure admiration, unbridled enthusiasm, and unlimited commitment to the sport of ice hockey. These pages contain the beginnings of a proud tradition in a novel Irish sport, and represent the dreams of a few highly motivated Irish ice hockey players.

Ice hockey has existed in Ireland for almost 25 years, yet its exact birth is unclear. Some athletic historians have reported that the first rink was built over 40 years ago in the West Coast of Ireland, but these accounts have yet to be substantiated. The first documented ice facility built was The Dublin Ice Rink located on the south side of the city in Dolphin's Barn Rialto. The rink was converted from an old cinema, and originally catered primarily to public skating. The ice surface was quite small compared to today's standard; it was roughly only 1/3 of regulation size. When the doors were open to public skating, the rink was inundated with people who wanted to learn how to skate. Due to enormous interest in the new facility, it was not long before rink management discovered ice hockey could be an additional source of income, and the first Irish ice hockey players took to the ice. Irish ice hockey was born.

Most of the first hockey sessions were local kids who were just learning how to skate. Children shared sticks and pads as ice hockey equipment was very hard to obtain. The young Dubliners played a rudimentary version of hockey, but they had no experience in the sport. It was only a matter of time before Dolphin's Barn lured experienced hockey players from abroad. After a few years of the local lads fending for themselves, the rink finally attracted some Canadian players studying medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. The Irish had the desire and the enthusiasm to learn, and now they would be taught ice hockey by true Canadians, the leaders in the sport.

This was unquestionably a huge step forward for the sport as the kids were given the opportunity to see a higher standard, learn the rules, and test their skill against the Canadians and their team, the R.C.S. Blades. It was apparent the Irish talent was a level below the foreigners, but this motivated the young players to excel and form a new team that strived to pick up their standard of play. Despite only basic equipment, sticks, and skates, and insisting on playing full contact hockey, the Dublin Ice Hockey Team became the first Irish team to take to the ice. Players scraped together equipment, and even the goaltender had a home made stick consisting of aluminium and concrete and leg pads kept intact by string and tape. Bruises and cuts were commonplace, but the boys took their team seriously. From time to time, the club canvassed north and south Dublin for new players to complement the core of regulars. Some of these regulars are still members in the club today. Much of the progress of Irish ice hockey can be attributed to these original members of the Dublin club who still get excited when ice hockey is on in town.

By the mid 1980's, the Dublin club was maturing and local competition was not enough. The Dublin Ice Rink in Dolphin's Barn was still the only ice rink in Ireland. The team had to look to Britain for competition, but finances unfortunately kept them from travelling. Since inviting teams for home matches were out of the question due to the facility, the team lost momentum and the players started to leave. Ironically, even after interest in hockey was fading, an ice rink in the north side of Dublin was opened in 1987. Another converted cinema became the Silver Skate Ice Rink in Phibsboro, and rumour has it that the plans for the facility were based upon those of a swimming pool. This new rink was again well under regulation size, but this did not deter players from bringing ice hockey to the new Pool. Ice hockey now had a fresh boost as the new rink led the way for competition in Dublin. A team from each rink reformed and Dublin had itself its own hockey rivalry. The revamped Rialto Rockets of Dolphin's Barn faced off against the converted Phibsboro Flyers. The new rivalry was ambitious and intense. When games were played, the team with most physical presence on the day usually came out the winner. The Irish standard of skill had improved and the inner city matches were hot tempered and hard.

As the 90's approached, both teams found difficulties maintaining player lists and trouble keeping in the good favour of both rinks' management. Since demand was high for general public skating, ice hockey often took a back seat at times. Both teams were apparently headed towards folding, but in retrospect this was probably for the best. For a few Irish players committed to the sport, new challenges arose to keep hockey alive in Ireland. The core players of the Rockets and the Flyers united in an effort to continue the progress of Irish ice hockey, and the new and reformed Dublin Flyers were created.

The Dublin Flyers have set the standard for ice hockey in Ireland. They have been successful as the longest running team in Irish hockey history behind the original core of players. With the skills of the Irish developing each year, the Flyers brought their game to tournaments in Scotland. At first the competition was overwhelming, but again the Irish love of the game and determination to improve eventually paid off. In 1995 and 1996 the Dublin Flyers won the Glenrothes Winter Challenge Cup and in 1997 the coveted Scottish Cup left Scotland for Dublin for the first time in its history. With the success of the Flyers in its prime, the Irish Ice Hockey Association was the direct result of their momentum.

The IIHA with the support of the international body and a hard working experienced staff can now develop youth hockey with professional instruction, and provide a solid foundation for the future of Irish ice hockey. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, the establishment of the IIHA has proven that ice hockey certainly has a place in Ireland, and the commitment of a few individuals has been gladly rewarded with the formation of the first ever Irish national ice hockey team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

where is there info for the kilkenny team? - we had like 20 canaidans working with us all last year and they were going nuts without ice hockey.

Kilkenny city Storm VS Latvian Hawks 'B'

Latvian Hawks 1
    Kilkenny City Storm 5

I didn't make the match this week but from what I hear it was very good. Will done to Kilkenny, Now joint top of the league with the Dublin wolves.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 raptor_strife

Hi all, goalkeeper and webmaster for the Storm here. KevMc, thanks for drawing my attention to this thread :)

You can find info on the Storm here:
    http://www.kilkennycitystorm.com/

It's only been put up tonight as a temporary page, there'll be a full website up by the end of the month. If you want anymore info, you can PM me here or use the e-mail address provided on the website.

Our next game is against the Dublin Wolves on Saturday Jan 12th at 10.30pm, and should be a great one - we're tied for first place in the league with them so it should be lively! If anyone from KK is at all interested in the sport you should definitely come up and take a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

fair play to ya raptor yerself and the lads.
    top of the table, there may be an alternative to hurling down here after all.

fair play to ya raptor yerself and the lads.
    top of the table, there may be an alternative to hurling down here after all.

There's no reason why the Kilkenny hurlers can't play a bit of the Ice Hockey on the side. I know they are totally different sports but the hand I co-ordination from Hurling is bound to be useful on the Ice. It would be good to see the a rink opening in Kilkenny tho, cos it's a long track up and back.

Some of the Hurling teams could arrange a bus up for a wee skate to check out the place and the skating. I'm sure it would be good craic.

Anyone from Kilkenny heading up to Dundalk for the match tomorrow night? It's a big night for Belfast fans with the Elite Ice Hockey League Belfast Giants playing the Edinburgh Capitals and then The Belfast Eagles playing Kilkenny City Storm. Would be nice to see some of the Kilkenny supporters up for the game cos there is a HUGH crowd coming from Northern Ireland!

I'm sure county Kilkenny flags would be very welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 raptor_strife

Bump :D

For anyone interested in how the team is getting on, we now have a full website at www.kilkennycitystorm.com with info and pictures.

We're currently top of the league, halfway through the season. It's close though, with the Dublin Wolves being only 1 point behind us with a game in hand.

We're playing this Saturday vs the Blackrock Whalers, a team that's really improved in recent weeks and should give us a run for our money! It should be a good hard match if anyone's interested ;)

Advertisement