Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on Drill!

Options
  • 11-12-2007 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi All

I am a casual DIY person that needs to purchase a hammer action drill with some power. Have a Black and Decker cordless one at the moment but its breaking my arm trying to put up a curtain rail. What I am looking for is something robust that will go through a 30 year old concrete wall pretty easily. As this will only be used off and on I would like suggestions on under €200 category with a few masonry bits included.

Does anyone have a model and store available?

Your help would be much appreciated.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I bought a bosch sds drill from Argos. Will go through wall like nobodys business. About 120 I think. Also can be used for light jack hammer work like taking off tiles.
    A bit like this one from their uk website.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7105159/Trail/searchtext%3EBOSCH.htm
    Comes with some drill bits as well.
    SDS drill bits won't slip or turn when in the chuck so are much easier for drilling walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Souness wrote: »
    Hi All

I am a casual DIY person that needs to purchase a hammer action drill with some power. Have a Black and Decker cordless one at the moment but its breaking my arm trying to put up a curtain rail.
    S

Having been in a similar situation - domestic codless types are just rubbish at hammer action - I bought an B&D 700W corded drill. The difference is incredible. Bascily the bigger Wattage means more power, so anything 'big' will do. Cost about €90 + bits

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Thanks lads, apppreciate your help.

Will drop into Woodies on the way home!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Use a Bosch SDS hammer drill myself too, find it excellent. Don't know the model offhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Have a Bosch SDS also with chizel function. Great for chasing wall for installing cables for lcd tv. Would highly recommend. Was 150euro in Argos a few years ago.

(Aldi have regular offers on SDS bits)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I got an sds cord drill in aldi for 30 euro
    best drill ever better than my cordless dewalt 18v which cost over 400
    goes through walls like they were butter

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I had the same problem recently trying to drill into a 40 year old concrete lintel putting up a curtain rail. My old super cheap Black & Decker corded drill got there in the end, after destroying a couple of bits! I think the cement used was originally intended for nuclear missile silos, or something, ffs!!!

I have a Bosch 24V cordless non-SDS drill which is great for nearly all jobs, apart from the very very toughest hammer drilling jobs. Would've done it but would have had to stop to charge it. Also a keyed chuck is more hassle, but can be tightened up more to stop the bit slipping. Dunno if the average home user can reallly justify an SDS drill. How often will you be drilling into reinforced concrete? Normal cement blocks, bricks, etc. are nothing like as tough. SDS bits are expensive, too.

In the end, depends on what you'll be doing and how much you want to spend, but sometimes more than one tool is the best way to go and cheaper than trying to get one super-duper tool that can do everything.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

TBO for a casual DIY like meself just get the Cheepo from Argos and then for the extra 9 euros get the 3 year warrenty. This is my second drill free from them the battery always goes within 3 years ...
    :D:D:D

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Buy decent masonry bits, usually the ones that come with the drills or in sets are pure sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I bought the Challenge SDS corded drill from Argos a few years back. I wouldn't take the warranty on it.

It's a marvellous piece of kit, if a bit heavy. You can drill nearly anything. And if you ever need to knock out concrete or break paths or anything like that, you've got the tool for the job. A professional sparks who borrowed it one day was pretty impressed. Granted, it probably wouldn't last all that long if you were using it every single day, but for the recreational user, it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

get yerself a Bosch 48v SDS drill and you'll never look back. Theres a reasonably priced model that comes with one battery but recharges in 15mins. Best yoke I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I would drive on past woodies first of all and i would go to mcquillans

I wouldnt use a hammer action on a DIY chordless

I WOULD use a bosch chord drill coz I've had one for ten years already (CSB 550-2w) and tonight it burnt out its latest masonry drill bit (8mm) which I only bought tonight and wasnt cheap.

I'd hire a kango for paths

Advertisement