Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Parties

Options
  • 11-12-2007 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of political parties that have a platform of protecting immigrants rights in Ireland and are actually doing something and not just talk?
    The way we are being treated is increasingly hostile and bordering on criminal by the INIS/GNIB and DOJ and I want to do something about it and join people that are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Shouldnt we have one to look after the rights of indigenous Irish people first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Shouldnt we have one to look after the rights of indigenous Irish people first ?

A constitutional party? Not much need really........
    Does anyone know of political parties that have a platform of protecting immigrants rights in Ireland and are actually doing something and not just talk?
    The way we are being treated is increasingly hostile and bordering on criminal by the INIS/GNIB and DOJ and I want to do something about it and join people that are.
    Heh, just look at the patterns in other states, you'll more then likely find anti-immigration platform partys taking off. But I hear Sinn Fein are the wonderkind for these kind of Issues nowadays ;)

Other then that, you could try diy.....whats to stop you?, and why should someone else have to do it first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

You Suck! wrote: »
    A constitutional party? Not much need really........

Heh, just look at the patterns in other states, you'll more then likely find anti-immigration platform partys taking off. But I hear Sinn Fein are the wonderkind for these kind of Issues nowadays ;)

Other then that, you could try diy.....whats to stop you?, and why should someone else have to do it first?

I am trying that as well, although I haven't gotten very far. I can't vote and a lot of immigrants cant' so we need people that can who also know the reality of being an immigrant and empathize.

Morlar wrote: »

Well if you are indigenous then you already have several choices and you can vote as well. I would imagine a party that has a platform for immigrant rights is also looking after the rights of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

sovtek wrote: »
    I am trying that as well, although I haven't gotten very far. I can't vote and a lot of immigrants cant' so we need people that can who also know the reality of being an immigrant and empathize.

You can't vote? Damn....had taken it for granted that you were Irish(or is it due to age?). None the less, it's an networking Issue, Many people work in fields that concern Immigrant rights and a good deal more have had the experience of past immigration to understand the Issues that Immigrants face. It's not my concern, so I hope you'll forgive my lack of knowledge, but it might be a start to get in contact with groups such as the Irish civil liberty's council, amnesty and son on. And as opposed to a political party, a lobby group would be more successful imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sovtek is American (I'm near certain) so can't vote in any elections.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sovtek is American (I'm near certain) so can't vote in any elections.

Mike.

Yup on both counts...with the exception of local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Locals? Oh thats alright then! ;)

If you someone is officially resident then they should have the right to vote in all elections and referendums.

Mike.

You Suck! wrote: »
    You can't vote? Damn....had taken it for granted that you were Irish(or is it due to age?). None the less, it's an networking Issue, Many people work in fields that concern Immigrant rights and a good deal more have had the experience of past immigration to understand the Issues that Immigrants face. It's not my concern, so I hope you'll forgive my lack of knowledge, but it might be a start to get in contact with groups such as the Irish civil liberty's council, amnesty and son on. And as opposed to a political party, a lobby group would be more successful imo.

You are probably right about the lobby group. I'm not sure of how many there are though. The only one I know of is Immigrant Council. I'm looking to join a party though as I want the experience of organizing...etc etc. I'll check out Irish Civil Liberty's council. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

Morlar wrote: »

do they not already?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Locals? Oh thats alright then! ;)

If you someone is officially resident then they should have the right to vote in all elections and referendums.

Mike.

I agree but I don't think someone on LTR (which takes over a year now to process) can vote in anything other than local elections. Only until naturalisation (taking about 3 years to process now) can one vote in all elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

i think sinn fein have some policys on immigrants but that could be geared more towards eastern europeans and africans
    worth a look though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Sovtek, (being a foreign national waiting for naturalisation process) I was wondering about the same thing. Let me know if you find anything. I've PMed you my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Sovtek, There are no immigration rights and there won't be any.
    I've been living here for over 12 years and have fought the state over my naturalization application for 5 years and still fighting. One would think I would get some sort of rights by living over a decade in the state!?.... but NO.

Trust me when I say that the state officials are "Cowboys Ted,...a bunch of cowboys".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the op is talking about improving working conidtions for immigrants this also improives working conditions for irish aswell, (for temp workers etc), it reverses the trend of FF/PD/FG business type importing labour via agencies cheaply,

looking for pro-immigration parties, well FF/PD?FG are your guys, looking for parties that will more likley (well only slightly ) protect working standards go LAB/SF etc

Advertisement