Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing Belt & Tensioners need changing

Options
  • 11-12-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I`ve a 01 VW Golf. Need to get this sorted, its overdue & can be very costly if it goes, basically a complete engine rebuild...

Anyone have a VW & recommend a cheap reliable place in the city to get it done. What price did you pay?

Main Dealers will rob me blind:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

go to a VW dealer
    private companies tend to "find" problems

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

go to a VW dealer
    private companies tend to "find" problems

Very true, I got a quote of €600 for this from tha main dealer, that cant be right

Anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Sister works as a service manager in a main dealers in Galway , she reckons that price is about right for fitting the complete kit . I got mine done recently by a friend of mine that is a mechanic and he was saying that the water pump should always be done at the same time as the timing belt so might be no harm to look into that aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I know a decent mechanic behind the Kilmurray Lodge Hotel. He'll do what you ask of him and won't cost an arm and a leg.

PM me for his number.

Eammonn O'Carroll is his name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

whats ure mileage? Timing Belts are generally good to 100,000 miles. your car is an 01, have you over 100,000 up on it?
    are you a rep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Dont go near a main dealer they will rob you. You will get a better job done for a fraction of the price by a good local mechanic. The guy out in Ballyneety is very good and is very reasonable.

I got a 04 golf done for 200. The belts on these, as with most cars need to be changed at 60k.

The mileage is 75,000, Im not a rep. To the best of my knowldege the timing belt was done at 45,000 but I have no evidence of that, just a sticker on the timing belt with 45,000 on it. I was told that it must have been done or else it would have gone by now. So, the next one is due at 90,000. Probably get it done at 85,000 just to be on the safe side...

Someone mentioned there about the water pump also. Dont know much about the internal workings of the engine. Will this need to be done too?

Who is this guy in Ballyneety?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

You would be better off replacing the water pump with the timing belt to be on the safe side. It will save you the cost of having to replace it later on if it goes.

Also buy the parts yourself from a motor factors, NOT a main dealer. The motor factors on lelia street are very good for VW parts.

The guy in Balyneety is Rory Brown, its the garage beside Ballineety tyres.

pa daly wrote: »
    You would be better off replacing the water pump with the timing belt to be on the safe side. It will save you the cost of having to replace it later on if it goes.

Also buy the parts yourself from a motor factors, NOT a main dealer. The motor factors on lelia street are very good for VW parts.

The guy in Balyneety is Rory Brown, its the garage beside Ballineety tyres.

Thanks Pa

Advertisement