Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Cards; Did i just do something stupid?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I'm trying to install a basic AGP graphics card into a P4 computer with an Asus P4S800 motherboard. When i swap out the old card and install the new i get one long beep followed by three short beeps off the m/board and no signal to the monitor at all. So there is certainly a graphics problem.

The old card was an AGP Radeon 9600XT with 128mb ram, and looks a little bit like this...

10906.jpg

The new card is an AGP Club 3D 9600 with 256mb ram, and looks like this...

CGA_E966R.jpg

Note the difference in the gold contacts between the two cards. So did I just do something very stupid and buy a card that is not compatible with the m/board? They're both AGP 8x after all shouldn't one just plug straight in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/_NVPCX.JPG

think you've got two differnet cards there

there should be no way the wrong type of card would even fit at all though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I hope you got that card for free (Its about 3 generations out of date!)

It sounds like your Power Supply is having trouble powering it, that or the card itself is fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

It's alright, i won't be trying to run crysis on this card.
    ;)

I was buying a cheap like-for-like replacement (so i thought) for the computer as the existing graphics card seems to be on its last legs. There's a horrible noisy buzzing from the fan, probably a bad bearing or something.

Anyway, the PC is for my parents and will be doing little more then some word processing and internet access so the graphics card is not an important issue.

Both cards are supposed to be AGP, at least thats what i thought i was buying in the Club-3D 9600 and that is what it says on the side of the box. However the gold contacts don't match the old card and it doesn't seem to work in the motherboards AGP slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

your old card is a pci card the second one is an agp card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Grim. wrote: »
    your old card is a pci card the second one is an agp card

They both look like AGP to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

No like i said both are AGP.

Nevermind, i have the answer now. The original card ran on 1.5v and the Club-3D one runs on 3.3v. So it's just not going to work.

Anyone want to buy a cheap graphics card?
    ;)

Advertisement