Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comedians funny (paradox?)

Options
  • 11-12-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are the some of our current comedians just simply not funny?

For example; Tommy Tiernan, his whole act is him pretending he is mad about various things and then he just shouts about it. Thats really it!!! His whole act, shouting!!!

Ed Byrne; I forget what was the last funny thing he said or done.

Delamere; same style of joke, different subjects, plus he laughs at his own jokes the whole time. A bit annoying.

Now I'm not saying all Irish comedians are not funny, Dylan Moran and Dara Ó Briain are very good plus Colin Murphy (possibly the only good participant on The Panal) can be funny but a lot of the othere just dont generate that much laughs anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Maxwell is the funniest member of the extended panel family

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andrew Maxwell is probably the best Irish comedian about now. Dylan Moran is excellant as is Colin Murphy but rest I can just take or leave. Tommy Tiernan I'd like to leave in a big hole in the Sahara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Ed Byrne is as funny as a dead spider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

must admit I like all the opinions thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

david o dohertys funny!
    he's f/cking hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Yeah I have to agree. Tommy Tiernans latest DVD isn't great tbh lots of shouting & laughing at disabled ppl :confused: used to be way better. Andrew Maxwell is definitely the most entertaining on the panel. Ed Byrne is absolute sh***!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Neil Tobin and Brendan O'Carroll FTW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tommys funny to us muck savages. I don't like Ed, Neal is funny, Andy is extremely funny on the panel but I've never seen him outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

While I can't speak for the Mrs Brown series, as I haven't seen it, I find Brendan O'Carroll hilarious!

Tommy Tiernan is alright, Ed Byrne is crap and I'm not a fan of Dara O'Brien at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Must of em are muck and have been doing the same act for years. Im looking at you Ed Byrne, Des Bishop and Karl Spain.
    Tommy Tiernan is not funny anymore
    Colin Murrey was never funny
    I really cant stand the smug twats in Dare Ya.

But I think Dylan Moran is fantastic, David o Dohertys completely off the wall. Maxwells not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Don't like Tiernan at all. As has been said it's all shouts and not much else.
    O'Doherty needs to change his act a little. Everytime I've seen him he plays that little casio. Twas funny the first time, but has gotten tiring. Although, I've not seen him in about 2 years, so maybe things have changed.

For me Maxwell is brilliant. I've no idea where he gets his ideas, coz some of it is way out there. I could probably make some suggestions as to where he gets them, but I might get in trouble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Ed Byrne makes me sad. Really sad.
    Maxwell is good.
    Tommy Tiernans first DVD was brilliant and I still like to watch it from time to time. His newer stuff is pretty poor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Ed Byrne; I forget what was the last funny thing he said or done.QUOTE]

It was high Im Darlene from Rosanne.

Rosanne hasnt been on Tv since 1997. I think he still includes it in his act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

johnp wrote: »
    Don't like Tiernan at all. As has been said it's all shouts and not much else.

For me Maxwell is brilliant.

Does nobody else think maxwell is pretty crap? He does the "shouting skanger" routine far too much.
    I like Tommy Tiernan, and think the shouting suits his style, but Maxwell just shouts too much. And when he's not shouting he's trying to be intellectual. He does know a ridiculous amount of crap though, I'll give him that.

Then again, what would I know? I like Ed Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Sofaspud wrote: »

Then again, what would I know? I like Ed Byrne.

yeah when you finish a post with that sentence, all previous comments are discredited!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

yeah when you finish a post with that sentence, all previous comments are discredited!! :D

I should've put it at the start to save you the bother of reading it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

Okay, it's therapy time...

Thank Christ, I'm not the only one - I can't stand Tommy Tiernan. I just don't get the appeal he seems to have for seemingly just about everyone in Ireland. He shouts and grimaces, he compares himself to Beckett and Lenny Bruce. He imagines himself to be some sort of rebel-poet/seanachai/rockstar but he can't even grow a decent beard for f**k's sake! He is the Robbie Williams of comedy (with the idea being that if you can't be brilliant, then you should instead focus on making the audience into your mates - hence the first name terms for Robbie and Tommy). Similarly he probably is due for some rehab right about now...

Dara o' Briain is alright, if a little too smarmy and self-satisfied for my liking (did I say a little?) He just smacks of the banking world and corporate gigs. Not my thing. But he is undeniably talented.

I know everyone knocks McSavage but I would still say he is good on occassions - UNTIL that is, you figure out that he is like a broken record with the same material over and over and over... Me and a friend of mine are planning a website on that very subject (and attacking Tiernan). Stay tuned for more...

I saw O'Doherty recently at the Dublin Arts Centre (he still has the casio). Still funny at times - when, coincidentally, he has the casio). But refreshingly different too. I like him. Truly it is DOD Time.

Jarlath Regan - I saw him do stand up last year and was very impressed. But then, having caught his Montreal (I think it was) gig on YouTube, I was shocked by just how wrong I had been. Weak presentation personified.

Des Bishop is an idiot. You're not a fish out of water after 15 years - you're just an irritating Mark Wahlberg wannabe. Shut the f**k up. And that goes for Bishop's embarrassingly untalented - but equally over-confident - brother too (who I saw bomb bigtime at Whelans last year). These guys went out of fashion with House of Pain.

Ed Byrne - "the voice of the car phone warehouse", as his most recent tour literature explained. Send out the torpedos...

Dylan Moran - perhaps our finest comedian. A truly gifted and original stand-up. 'Nuff said. The man is a comedy scholar.

Naked Camera guys - more paltry attempts by Irish people to be something they are not (i.e. proponents of cheesy hidden camera bollox). It's not funny and it's not desirable Jake.

Ardal O'Hanlon - his painfully self-aware and monotone act reaches for heights that his creative imagination is not capable of scaling. His gigs feel so unsatisfying as a consequence. Like being bored to death by a mildly amusing drunk or retarded uncle. SHUT THE F**K UP!

Barry Murphy - sadly overlooked in the fame game, but Murphy has got real talent.

Kevin Gildea - a lumpy bag of comic nonchalance. Gildea is comedy gilt, rather than gold. But still he shines.

Who am I forgetting?

Oh yeah, Declan Rooney - he's not that well known and he works in a call centre. But I saw him support McSavage at a charity gig at Whelans once. He came out and did this AMAZING version of Elvis' American Trilogy (and a host of other equally disturbing impressions). For my money it was the greatest thing I ever saw on an Irish comedy stage. But then again, I was really high at the time, so I don't know if that opinion would stand up to scrutiny. Either way, Rooney is overlooked (as shall be my comment about being really high at the time).

hey tempelton you forgot andy maxwell, colin murphy and karl spain (altho you seem to know a ting or two about comedy so i think i know the answer to that last one)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

hey tempelton you forgot andy maxwell, colin murphy and karl spain (altho you seem to know a ting or two about comedy so i think i know the answer to that last one)

Quite right sir. Not only that but I also mixed up the names of Neil Delamere and Jarlath Regan (now corrected above).

Hmmm, Andy Maxwell - Irritating git. A gnarled and malnutritioned looking ratface wanker of the highest order. Sure, he's clever (in a John Mills as the sly village idiot in Ryan's Daughter sort of way) but he is also instantly dislikeable in my humble opinion. I don't necessarily have to like a comedian to enjoy their work, but it helps if I don't want to bash their faces in with a hammer.

Colin Murphy - I like his TV shows for sure. But I'm not really familiar with his stand-up. I have witnessed the mediocre sight of him attempting topical satire on a number of panel-type shows (they all look the same these days). It weirdly made me pine for that little Tory wanker Ian Hislop. I don't like the satirical show format myself - too self-satisfied and oh-gosh-aren't-we-great-for-holding-the politicans-to-account by far.

As for Karl Spain, I know the name but not the material. Any good?

Another I forgot to mention is Jason Byrne - kind of like Tommy Tiernan's autistic brother, Byrne has a tendency to shout and wail a lot. Fake hands can't disguise poor material for long though. But I must admit there has been some evolution of his material over the last few years. But not really my cup of tea (I'd prefer cyanide to a JB gig).

• Advertisement

Tempelton wrote: »
    As for Karl Spain, I know the name but not the material. Any good?

let me put it this way, he's fat and thats what all his jokes are about!! "look at me, i couldnt do anything like that, coz im fat" sort of thing, he also laughs at his own jokes! (at least someone is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Oh yeah, I forgot about the guys that do Podge and Rodge. Jokes over lads the act is gone stale, (never that good in the first place imo). Time to retire the puppets and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I agree, the latest series of Podge and Rodge has been bordering on awful. I think its time their creators moved on and tried something new.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I agree, the latest series of Podge and Rodge has been bordering on awful. I think its time their creators moved on and tried something new.

hey they can still sell out vicar street, 36 shows last time, and 12 shows this time, apparantly (i havent seen it so i dunno) the stage shows are brilliantly funny, from what ive heard! but i agree with you both, the last good show they had was series 2 with johnny vegas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Brilliant:
    Tommy Tiernan
    Dara O'Briain

Okay:
    Neil Delamare

Crap:
    Andrew Maxwell
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne
    Des Bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

prospect wrote: »
    Brilliant:
    Tommy Tiernan
    Dara O'Briain

Okay:
    Neil Delamare

Crap:
    Andrew Maxwell
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne
    Des Bishop
    They are all crap Tommy Tiernan is top of the crap list he should be put out of his misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Tommy teirnan is so overrated, not funny in the least.

Ed byrne. complete insufferable bastard! he makes me angry, he's so unfunny.

the rest i can take or leave, some good, some bad.

Tommy teirnan is so overrated, not funny in the least..

dont you think that was a bit much, imo his first 2 shows were brilliant, tru his recent two havent lived up to that standard but that kind of shows just how good they were/are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

In my opinion,
    David O'Doherty and Dylan Moran are top class.
    Tommy Tiernan Ardal O'Hanlon, Jason Byrne and Dara O'Briain are good as well.
    The rest... are nothing special really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement