Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Christy Hennessy

Options
  • 11-12-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Very sad to hear of Christie’s Death. He graciously allowed us to use his song “Remember Me” (which he recorded for a Garden of Remembrance in the UK) on our site - RIP.ie. I hope the words are some comfort to his family at this sad time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This the same guy who sang "I'm a messenger boy bringing my love to you" with his daughter on the late late? Not a fan of the music, but condolences to the family if it's the same guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ned78 wrote: »
    This the same guy who sang "I'm a messenger boy bringing my love to you" with his daughter on the late late? Not a fan of the music, but condolences to the family if it's the same guy.
    Thats him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, came across him again in the last few years, very very unusual voice, some lovely songs.

RIP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

He was a great singer. Not to mention songwritter - he wrote Don't Forget Your Shovel which Christy Moore recorded (and Ronan Collins starting playing it everyday on his radio show, driving people mad with it! - but Christy Moore attributes a lot of his success to that song). He also wrote All The Lies that you told me (again Francis Black had huge hit with this) and Messenger Boy.

My favouriter song of his, which is quite unlike any other song I've heard would have to be "I Am a Star"

What a writer...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Michael is that song not called "Roll Back the Clouds"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Great singer and song writer and a truely nice person. RIP.
    My favourite was "Sheila Doran"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

yop wrote: »
    Michael is that song not called "Roll Back the Clouds"?

Sorry yeh it's the same song, one album (Stories For Sale) calls it "I Am A Star"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

There was a great discussion on Liveline today and they played a song that was only recorded a few weeks ago that him, Luka Bloom and Christy Moore, it was excellent.
    Bill Hughes was on talking about a documentary that he was making of Christie and the album he was making of duets with different people. Well worth a listen if you are interested in him and his music!
    What a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

robo wrote: »
    There was a great discussion on Liveline today and they played a song that was only recorded a few weeks ago that him, Luka Bloom and Christy Moore, it was excellent.
    Bill Hughes was on talking about a documentary that he was making of Christie and the album he was making of duets with different people. Well worth a listen if you are interested in him and his music!
    What a shame!

Indeed. The link for anyone that's interested is http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-liveline.smil

RIP Christie. A guy with a real talent who wouldn't consider himself a celebrity. A rare species. He'll be sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smythink

I wonder does anyone have a copy of The Green Album by Christie Hennessy to sell; his debut, released in 1972... I heard it once and it is seriously good. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Did anyone watch the programme on RTE 1 last night about Christie? He looked so thin in it, but his personality and character was bigger and brighter than ever. Physically the man was deteriorating but he still had a great love for music and amazement that people are interested in doing duets with him.

It was very well done.

Advertisement