Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make a WORKING "Windows XP with SP2" Bootabe CD-ROM?

• 11-12-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have Windows XP with SP2 (the ISO) on a DVD. However, I cannot boot from it so I must burn this iso on a CD-ROM.

I tried doing it twice with Nero 7 but the installation always fails! Indeed, after deleting my partition, the Windows XP with SP2 CD-ROM installs all the required files. Then it reboots and I get the blue screen where you're normally asked to choose a PC name, set a password, etc etc. And it is at this stage that I get a fatal error. And it's frustrating the life out of me! :mad:

Now, I know for a fact the ISO I am burning is PERFECT. It comes directly from Microsoft so I know the ISO is NOT the issue! I actually tried burning 2 different ISOs and I got the same issue both times so I know I'm doing something wrong in Nero 7. I'm cr@p at burning normal CDs and DVDs and I'm even worse when it comes to burning ISOs! :(

So what exactly do I have to do in Nero 7 to burn a working bootable CD-ROM? Should I be using a different program perhaps? Will ISOMagic be better than Nero 7?

What I do in Nero 7 is this (from memory):

I close the window that pops up when I open the Nero Burning ROM
    Drag the Windows_XP_with_SP2.ISO file
    I then go to "Recorder"
    Select "Burn Image"
    Then I click "Burn"

Did the above twice with two different ISOs. Both failed. And I'm choosing a slow writing speed too (16x)!

So what am I doing wrong? Can anybody help me please? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It comes directly from Microsoft so I know the ISO is NOT the issue!
    Didn't know MS released ISOs (and with filenames like Windows_XP_with_SP2.iso) .... shows what I know.

Burn it at a slower speed (4x or 8x), just to be sure.
    Maybe your DVDs are bad quality?
    Does it pass if you tick the "Verify" box when burning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Mr E wrote: »
    Burn it at a slower speed (4x or 8x), just to be sure.
    Maybe your DVDs are bad quality?
    Does it pass if you tick the "Verify" box when burning?
    The CD-ROMs are of good quality and in perfect condition. I did indeed asked Nero to verify the data after burning the second CD-ROM and it was a Pass.

I'm lost... :(

I might try at the slowest speed possible on a different CD-ROM Drive. Might be the laptop I'm using...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Mr E wrote: »
    Didn't know MS released ISOs (and with filenames like Windows_XP_with_SP2.iso) .... shows what I know.

That's what I believe(d), too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the technet/msdn dvd your likely to be talking about is bootable...

if you cant get the boot menu (press 1 for xp, 2 for server....etc) then check that the booting from dvd is supported or enable in your bios.

if you still want to burn the files to disc use the cdburn.exe file in the windows resource kit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

use daemon tools and mount the iso within windows, see does that work

then use alcohol 120% to burn this iso, 16x is not actually a slow speed. when burning delicate things like important iso's use the slowest speeds, 16x is certainly not the slowest.

hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I had a similar problem before with a linux ISO. I converted it to a CUE/BIN file then burned the new files to disk and off it went no probs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Try to Open the ISO image with Nero in instead of doing what you are doing.
    Nero will then prompt you to burn immediately.
    I had similar issues with the way you described it.

Alternatively you can use nLite. This gives you the opportunity to customize the CD and also create a bootable ISO image and burn it.
    http://www.nliteos.com/

Got it sorted lads, thanks to Paul Thurrott's Tutorial on how to streamline XP and SP2.

The problem was I had to extract a hidden boot file called "Microsoft Corporation.img" with ISOBuster in order to create a proper bootable CD-ROM.

I had followed this very same tutorial over a year ago and I had managed to streamline XP with SP2 back then. Couldn't figure why I couldn't do it anymore! :confused:

All sorted now thank God! Don't have to deal will all that Vista cr@p no more! :D

Advertisement