Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Update Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

• 11-12-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello guys

Since Microsoft didn't want to give me support I hope that someone here knows the answer.

I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium installed and bought
    Vista Ultimate directly from Microsoft in Sandyford - no update but the full boxed version. How can I update my existing version to Ultimate without losing any data? My Ultimate DVD complains that a later version of Windows is already installed and it abort the installation process. I wonder what happens if I simply boot from the DVD and start the installation using the existing partition etc. Will I lose my settings or will only different files be updated? Exchanging the serial number did not work.

Just for clarification: I did not buy the AnyTime Upgrade which I heard would come with an update tool. I might need that particular tool as well but can't find it and don't want to try it and lose all my data.

I hope that my situation isn't too unique and someone will have experience with that or at least an idea whom/where to ask.

Thanks a million for any help!
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

iirc vista saves all your data to a file called windows.old if you do a fresh install so id imagine all your data would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daniel1974

Well, I don't only want to lose any data but also want to avoid having to install every single app again and configure it again. If I understand that feature right it would only save my data and not preserve every file and cfg.

The question is simply: How can I install a full version of Vista Ultimate on top of an existing Vista Home Premium without having to reinstall and reconfigure anything?

Even shorter: How to leave Windows as is but add the Ultimate-only features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Daniel1974 wrote: »
    I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium installed and bought Vista Ultimate directly from Microsoft in Sandyford

From the employee's shop?
    If so I find it hard you have not been able to get support...

Well, MS employees can get a certain number of products and are allowed to give them to their friends which is what happened here.
    I initially used the official MS support website and got an automated reply last week that I'd get a reply within 1 business day but haven't heard from MS since then. Therefore I hope(d) to get an answer here. If I had been an MS employee I surely would have used internal resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

How are you trying to do it?

It won't work if you boot the laptop into windows and insert the DVD.
    Boot from the DVD and select the 'Upgrade' option if it's available or select the advanced option and see if the upgrade option is there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply, kaizersoze.

First I tried it under Vista and got the error message that a newer version of Vista was already installed.

I also booted from the DVD and can't remember having seen an Update/Upgrade option but only Install/Setup so I canceled it not to see after a few hours that I actually broke my running system. I'll check that again tonight. Have you done a successful update this way?

Well, I might give it a try at the weekend after having done a full backup with Acronis. I heard it could easily take 3-5h so giving it a try after work might not be the best time.

Advertisement