Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers and Surveyors when buying a house

Options
  • 11-12-2007 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

You know the way you afre meant to get a surveyor to look over a house when you buy it?
    Well, I am plannign on buying a house in Galway which was built by the people selling it so thing I should get an engineeer to look at it too.

Can anyone tell me what each will do, what they should provide me, and roughly what I should expect to have to pay?

Many many thanks!

D2G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

An (structural) engineer is most concerned about the building not falling down. A surveyor is likely to give it a more holistic inspection, but won't be able to certify certain matters.

Given that it was self-built, be marginally more inquisative than if it was an estate house.

Your solicitor will have a check list of documents to get from the seller.

Prices will start at about €300, but again, the self build aspect may mean people will have to spend more time at it. If there are problems, expect to spend a lot more.

Advertisement