Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pamporovo anyone, or better suggestions?

• 11-12-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I'm looking to go skiing in late January with my gf. I've snowboarded before but she hasn't so i think we're both going to ski for the first time.

I'm trying to find a decent place for beginners and Pamporovo in Bulgaria was recommended by Thomas Cook. But i'm hearing varying reviews? Can anyone help on this or any better suggestions.

We wouldn't be manic skiers, so a spot with some decent apres ski would be good.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Soldau Andorra
    Livingo Italy

Both have good sking and Apres Ski.

Personally I found Bulgaria (Bansko) didn't have good Apres SKi but I suppose you make your own fun!

Book around the 26'th of January if you can, you will generally get a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭claw14

Sorry to ask a question "off topic" but I was wondering why is the 26th of Jan is off/low season. Just wondering as it seems to be a busy time based on when people on boards.ie are going......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 shaper13

Thanks

Yep, i've been looking at Livigno but flights are hard to come by for that particular weekend. I assume there's no reason not to go a week earlier or later - book your flights and you take your chances with the snow?

@claw14. I think its because Christmas/New Years in such a peak time and then in Feb you have all the European schools off so thats another peak time that around the 26th is generally just considered off peak. Alot of resorts also use the time if snowfall hasnt been good to give the parks a rest and use the snow/time to build the parks for the peak season..

@shaper13. Yeah I never really worry about the snow, you can never tell until you arrive. For instance Ive been looking at Val D'isere for the last few weeks on a daily basis, two weeks ago the Top was 15cm and the base was 10cm. I checked it today and its jumped to 150cm on top and 150 at the base with snowfall expected for the next three days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 shaper13

Cheers Static

I've booked a week in soldeu from January 19. Can't wait.

I didn't book any ski school or gear although i was given the option with topflight. Assume it's simple enough over there to do this - and possibly a little cheaper too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The reps will usually come through the bus during the transfer to try and sell you any extras that you need like the ski school, lift passes and rental gear.

Their prices won't be much different to getting it yourself in resort, it does take the hassle out of sorting it out yourself though. There are a couple of different ski passes that you can get, but unless your very adventureous outside of the lessons I'd expect that just the Soldeu/ El Tarter area one would do you, you can get the Grand Valiria one though that gives you access all the way from Pas de la Casa to El Tarter.

As Robinph mentioned, I would just go for the Soldau/El Tarter pass, its more than enough unless your very experienced. We always got the passes on the bus, the cost difference is very small, if any at all.

In regards to renting gear, we always did the following (Ive been to Soldau 5 times now) As soon as you get off the bus, drop your gear off at the hotel then go straight down to the Gondola, the rental shop is right beside the Gondola. Get your gear picked out and then go up one floor and rent out a locker for the week, its roughly €70 but it can store enough for 3-4 people. Its definitely worth it. The first day on the slopes be aware the queue for the gondola will be short to medium length because half the people will be the rental shop "trying" to get sized up. But on the second day the queue can be very long all the way up the ramp. If you arrive late and are stuck at the back you can get an elevator down to the ground floor walk across the bridge and get chair lift up, usually saves you allot of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I heading to pamporovo the first week in Feb....
    Anybody been there and have any hints/tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

Yeah Ive been there 3 years in a row. I really enjoy it over there. Ive been to France and Switzerland a on 3 occasions too. I have to say for beginners its a great place to learn to ski. For advanced skiers it can be a little boring as the slopes aren't the most challenging, although the "wall" is great.
    The night life is good by bulgarian standards. A few brit bars and a couple of irish bars. Ive always enjoyed it. One of the things i like about bulgaria is thats its just a bit of a strange place... off the wall if im honest. Loads of fun though.
    Its cheap enough too.. not as cheap as it used to be but still better than most places.

Check out

http://www.bulgariaski.com/pamporovo/index.shtml
    http://www.chepelare.com/

Advertisement