Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swift ammo

• 11-12-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi lads i was wondering what do you think is the best ammo for a 220 swift

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

hello there
    I have a Remington VSSF II in .220swift and i found the Federal 52g bthp to be the most accurate. the remington 50g psp are ok but i find the federals better espically if it is a bit windy..
    Remington premier 50g balistic tip are ok too..

i do find that there are not that much of a range of ammo for the swift
    a mate of mine has a .223 and there are a very good range availible..

but then again a swift is a awsome caliber no matter what round you use:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

What are you using it for, paper or varmints?

Hornady Varmint Express, 50 gr. or 55 gr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I Have a old 700 VS and i use Federal 52gr as i also find it the most suitable fodder for my swift. Its is expensive at 40euro a box. I generally have a few Winchester silver tip 40gr is the safe for long range bunny busting (only 35euro a box:))

As Tom said the .223 has a much better range of ammo, but i still reckon the swift is a far superior round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hornady 50 Gr or federal 52 gr. Paul in Drangan had federal for €140 per 100

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Hi lads i have used the federal 52gr bthp before bt couldnt hit the wide side of a barn with them even thought my sights were off, so i went back to the remington 50gr psp and everything was hunky dory again, i read on some website that boat tail bullets were for long range shooting cause they come out of the barrel wobbley and take a while to staighten up,the ammo ive used is hornady 55gr v-max moly, federal 52gr hp,federal 52gr bthp and remington 50gr psp and have found remington to be the best the seem to do the most damage, i would like to try winchester silver tip 40gr are they any good...

And i only shoot foxes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

swift220 wrote: »
    i read on some website that boat tail bullets were for long range shooting cause they come out of the barrel wobbley and take a while to staighten up,

The boat tail is designed to have less drag on the bullet which tends to make them very flat shooting they seem to drift a lot less in the wind as well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

tikkamark wrote: »
    The boat tail is designed to have less drag on the bullet which tends to make them very flat shooting they seem to drift a lot less in the wind as well:)

AFAIK the boat-tail is for aerodynamics has nothing to do with flat shooting

Advertisement