Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning Dublin slang/Irish accent

• 11-12-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi.

I'm in Ireland since five months and tryin' to master (probably too big word for now) your accent and slang. I think that it's crucial to use local language/slang wherever you stay longer. My sources are: Irish lads at work (mostly), radio, urbandictionary.com and of course everyday life (got through "Learn Dublinese" as well ;-D). But still have problems with understanding Irish-specific words and definitions.

Are there any books/web resources containing definitions of your slang?
    Which TV series should I stick to? Anything else?

Of course I mean the REAL Irish accent. I know that it's completely different for example in Cork but let's say - Dublin slang.

Cheers.
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

I'd say that you'll have a hard time naturally using an Irish accent. The longer you've lived in whichever country you're from, the harder it will be to lose your native accent, providing you lose it at all. Why are you trying to get an 'authentic' Irish accent if you don't mind my asking? I'd say also that there's probably too much slang for you to learn at once. You're better off slowly incorporating a small number of words at a time into your vocabulary...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hrwath

helios wrote: »
    I'd say that you'll have a hard time naturally using an Irish accent. The longer you've lived in whichever country you're from, the harder it will be to lose your native accent, providing you lose it at all. Why are you trying to get an 'authentic' Irish accent if you don't mind my asking? I'd say also that there's probably too much slang for you to learn at once. You're better off slowly incorporating a small number of words at a time into your vocabulary...

Well... I'm from Poland. It's obvious that I wouldn't speak with pure accent anyhow but as far as I know Polish language is one of the most difficult languages in the world because of the tongue-breaking stuff (I've heard that it's on 2nd place but I don't have a proof). I think that's a good base to use other accent. I know it's hard but I like the accent and I'll try to use it ;-)

That's why I'm looking for some resources.

Advertisement