Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Alarm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Just got an alarm fitted a couple of days ago from caraudioclinic in navan. I shopped around for a while and his prices were the best i could find. www.autoaudio.ie is the website (not great but has contact details on it.)

Or 'eireal' on boards is runs incar.ie and is very helpful.

You won't go wrong with either of these guys. Unless you're going to fit that alarm yourself, or know an auto-electrician, you'll find it hard to get someone to fit it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

I wouldn't worry too much about Thatcham as it makes no difference to your insurance policy in Eire.

Paying extra for a Thatcham approved system in the UK is worthwhile as you can get substantial insurance discounts to offset the extra cost of your alarm/immobiliser purchase, this can add up big time over a few years.

Over here it's not worth paying extra for something Thatcham approved.

Meta is an ok brand of alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

What Securesounds said is true. I bought an alarm that is Cat 1 rated by Thatcham i.e. their highest rating, and fitted it to my car. When I rang my insurance to tell them, they said it would make no difference to my policy. Makes me wonder why they always ask if the car has an alarm and/or immobiliser for all those years at renewal time! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Having an alarm or immobiliser can sometimes get you a small reduction on your insurance but Thatcham approved alarms will get you no extra.

Next time your getting a quote for insurance and they ask does the car have an alarm, say yes it does, how much does that reduce my policy by, if they say it doesn't then say " ok I may as well take it off so " then see if they offer you a discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Britton insurance will offer a discount on thatcham approved alarms,there the only company here who will here afaik.

It may make no difference insurance wise but security wise a thatcham based alarm is better overall,some of the different features are the alarm brain is enclosed in a metal box and part/all wiring from the alarm will be black as opposed to coloured "standard" alarm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement