Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT and Wireless Issues

Options
  • 11-12-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Hope you can help. I am on BT and have wireless set up to a few computers. At almost the exact same time each day (between 6pm and 6:30pm) the wireless drops and doesnt return until about midnight. Im starting to wonder do BT somehow cut off wireless capabilities during peak hours? Could well be a silly question but i dont know too much about this stuff. On Sundays also i notice it doesnt cut off which is why i ask. Otherwise would anyone know what could be causing it? The main computer i personally use is in a room directly above the router so shouldnt have any distance problems. Any help would be great guys. Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Technology has advanced a lot but I don't think BT are doing this.

Blame the neighbours for using microwaves, talking endlessly on cordless phones and watching filth using wireless video senders instead -- all this can interfere with your wireless network.

Try logging into your router's config page and change the channel used for wifi. I suggest trying channel 1 or 13 and see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Hiya, tried that but unfortunately with no success. Thx for the tip tho. Would it be worth trying the other channels? Possibly moving the router to another part of the room? altho the wires wont go too far from where it is now. I didnt think other appliances would affect it that much. Learn something new everyday eh? :) Also, the router im using is a Balkin one and a D Link USB wireless adaptor upstairs. Just in case there are any other settings that could be changed to see if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

It wouldn't disconnect at those times wirelessly, it's the connection dropping because of the contention.

Ring BT and ask them to do a Prequal on your line (make sure your line is capable of your speeds) and to see if your connection is intermittent. I'd say your setup in the house is incorrect (lack of filters, not connected to main phone point, bad wiring in the house).

PS: 3rd party routers don't work well with DSL, make sure the correct settings are input on the modem.

Mode: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

VCI and VPI are very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

All those settings are correct here. The actual connection is fine. Since about 6:20pm the wireless has been down here but im on the computer that directly connects to the router right now and the net is working perfectly. We have the filters on all lines etc.

Did you ring BT to check the Prequal and to see if your connection is intermittent?

Also, do you have any cordless phones in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

If the connection is OK up until 6pm then & also works using a wired connection after 6:30pm then the problem more than likely lies with the wireless router.

If the wired connection remains on then getting BT to run a Pre-Qual is not going to be any help. Their records will show the DSL connection remained on so that's all they will be concerned with.

If the DSL rather than the wireless connection is intermittent then its worth running a Pre-Qual test, not that it fixes anything though.

Reset your Belkin back to factory default settings & set it up again. If the problem persists then try & get a loan of a friend's wireless router.

juice79 wrote: »
    If the connection is OK up until 6pm then & also works using a wired connection after 6:30pm then the problem more than likely lies with the wireless router.

If the wired connection remains on then getting BT to run a Pre-Qual is not going to be any help. Their records will show the DSL connection remained on so that's all they will be concerned with.
    EDIT: Ah so he does, missed that post, apologies :P

Question for the OP... do you have cordless phones in your house? How many phone points have you in the house? Are they correctly filtered?

It could be a frequency clash with the wireless when the phones are in use...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

auggie2k wrote: »
    He doesn't have a wired connection

He does :
    nalced_irl wrote:
    im on the computer that directly connects to the router right now and the net is working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

have you got the security setup on the wireless box... sounds like someone is coming home from work and logging into your wifi... and turning off his computer at 12 - 12.30

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

don't think it will be the cause based on the cut off times you mention but the MTU is set wrong on the BT wireless routers

this should be 1492 whereas its set to 1500 (UK dsl spec)

would advise to tunr off the wirless for a few hours and see does your connection dump when connected just with an ehternet connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Is 1492 the MTU for all broadband in ireland ?

Advertisement