Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signal Problems with Netgear Router

• 11-12-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a noobie to wireless networking, so apologies if this is stating the obvious.

I recently got a netgear wireless router attached to a 2mb NTL modem. My PC is setup upstairs from the connection, and the signal continually alternates between good and very low.

Is there any way to ensure a more consistent signal? I don't really have much scope for moving the PC or modem.

I've heard repeaters can do the job but I was hoping for a cheaper option. I recently updated the firemware on the router which helped a bit.

Is is possible to buy a better aerial for the wireless networking card?

Finally, a stupid question: if my signal varies in stenght will this affect my download speed much. On occasions the connection has struggled with streaming videos on Youtube! Can you download effectively with a low signal?

Many thanks.

Comments

i have the same problem but i have noticed electrical interference has a part to play in bad signals. ie.. tv, radio and other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AndymanOnFire

Maybe try changing the channel on the router? Go to internet explorer, type in 192.168.1.1 (or might be 192.168.0.1 depending on the Netgear router). Username and passowrd is 'admin' and 'passowrd' respectively. Go to wireless settings on the top left and change the channel to either 6 or 11, or try the others anyway to see if there's any difference.

And don't mean sound patronising, but try move the the router closer or move the aerial around. :)

Advertisement