Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluebottles still buzzing around

Options
  • 11-12-2007 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Hasn't anyone told the blighters they're all supposed to be like dead and stuff,
    can't say I remember them being around in December before but maybe I just wasn't paying attention, or it could be Global Warming dun dun dun

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

look around over the past 5 years and you'd find all sorts of bees etc flying around in the month of DEC and jan... the likes of which I'd never seen.. i work on the building sites and with the hi viz vest on the little follow are attracted over.. did you hear that the government want to ban all sales on the standard light bulb... it seems that they only make easy calls for the environment, call which cost them nothing and are easy to introduce with a new legislative bill.... if thats there reaction you,ll be seeing the bees and blue bottles ever year and soon the tigers and snakes will land and on the back and out of the suitcase of the jet set ( 4 holidays a year) will crawl the killer spiders--- soon I'll see mosquitoes here all year and not just and summer.. its all about to change... ( i see dead people!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We had a butterfly fly into the house on Saturday.
    I have to say that I've never seen one in December before.

The world's gone mad I tells ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Good Job It Was Not A Polar Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Bluebottle actually flew into my house a few days ago.Was bizarre.

Also,you'll see from time to time,wasps crawling on the ground in November and even December.Thats when they are at their most dangerous.Love stamping and squishing the little bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I was talking to a bee keeper there a couple of years ago and he said it's very normal to see bees out on any fine day at any time of the year. They basically leave the hive to go for a leak whenever they get the chance. As long as it's sunny they're happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I noticed a big fly of some description, probably a blue bottle, in the kitchen yesterday now you mention it.
    Roen wrote: »
    I was talking to a bee keeper there a couple of years ago and he said it's very normal to see bees out on any fine day at any time of the year. They basically leave the hive to go for a leak whenever they get the chance. As long as it's sunny they're happy.

I've started keeping bees this year and up until a couple of weeks ago they were quite active but this wet wndy cold spell seems to have put paid to flying and I haven't seen any this week. If I put my ear to the back of the hives in the evening the loud "hum" as they beat their wings to maintain a constant temperative is amazing. There are hopefully about 20,000 in each hive right now but in the summer there are anything up to 60,000 bees in a hive.

They do go on cleansing flights in the early Spring to rid themselves of droppings apparently but its my first year keeping them so will have to wait and see what they do and when.

Advertisement