Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a new car

Options
  • 11-12-2007 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a new car end of last month. Just got my registration cert in the door from the dept of the Environment today.

The tax is up at the end of this month.

Do I need to go into the tax office or can I do it online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can't tax a used car online unless you get a renewal notice in the post with the PIN on it. there is no other way to get the PIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

From what I can see I'm filling out this form and posting it in with a cheque.
    https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Anyone see an easier method?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Since this car has not been taxed by you before you need to either tax it in the tax office or through the post (recommend the tax office)

Then the next time it needs to be taxed they will send you out a renewal letter which gives you a pin to do it online!

Is there a particular reason you suggest to go to the tax office and not post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You'll get it faster, my wife went in and taxed our new car today and was in and out in five minutes with the disc. Obviously if you don't mind waiting a week and possibly explaining to numerous Gardai at checkpoints at this time of year why you've no tax, you can do that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

You CAN tax it online.
    Use the last 6 digits of the chassis number as your pin.

Edit: ooops sorry, missed that it was a used car. No, can't tax that without a PIN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You'll get it faster, my wife went in and taxed our new car today and was in and out in five minutes with the disc. Obviously if you don't mind waiting a week and possibly explaining to numerous Gardai at checkpoints at this time of year why you've no tax, you can do that :)

The OP's tax is up at the end of this month plus you generally get a months grace for renewal therefore I don't think there's a panic

I've posted the form in today with a cheque so I'm hoping I get it back by the end of the month. I really don't have time to be goiung into the office during the day.

This grace period, is it guarenteed? Or is it if the guards feel like doing the decent thing? i.e. can they screw me for it if I don't get the new disk by the end of the month and I'm driving around "waiting" in early Jan?

Advertisement