Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 2 Now

• 11-12-2007 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Is Dunphy full?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its the rant to end all rants. I love how he slates players that Rafa has signed(Kewell??????) but doesnt mention the likes of Reina, Agger, Torres etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

When did he start to rate Rio Ferdinand? Always slagged him off and bummed Carragher now he seems to of done a 180 degree turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

reina-agger-gerrard-finnan-torres-babel-mascherano-lucas-carragher

would all feature in any of the other top 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh jesus, now Giles has started saying Benoit Cheyrou is the lad that played for us a few years ago. Do they do any research at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

lol i'd say every Liverpool fan in the country was shouting at the tv after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Melion wrote: »
    Oh jesus, now Giles has started saying Benoit Cheyrou is the lad that played for us a few years ago. Do they do any research at all?

lmao

just like every Irish commentator/pundit

no clue about world football

why!?!?!?:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »

first 11 or squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    first 11 or squad?

all opinions, but i certainly wouldn't put carragher, agger, babel or lucas in the United first 11.

Finnan would get in cause Neville seems finished with his injuries, Reina and van der Saar would be a tough one, as would mascherano and hargreaves, and torres is pretty damned good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

first 11 or squad?

indeed, I think from that lot, only Gerrard & Torres would make the other 3 teams XI, although some smaller arguments for Reina, Finnan, Alonso & Mash making the other teams, but saying Lucas or Babel would is ridiculous even by Mr Alans standard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

9 Liverpool players would walk into the other 3 teams first 11?
    Not a chance.
    Gerrard, Torres. That would be about it.

Anyway, apologies for going off topic.
    I assume Dunphy is saying it as it is on RTE??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahahaha

2-0 to liverpool there now.

dunphy once again prooving that hes there to sell tabloids

remember folks - thats your licence fee at work there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Why no sponsors on the LFC shirts?

Jazzy wrote: »
    hahahaha

2-0 to liverpool there now.

dunphy once again prooving that hes there to sell tabloids

remember folks - thats your licence fee at work there
    Okay,
    I havent heard the rant but lets put this in perspective.
    Liverpool found themselves in one of the easier groups in the CL and still managed to let it get to the last game of the group having already been beaten by these relagation fighters in the French league.
    Dunphy is entitled to his opinion, and I assume you pay a license fee as well?

French ban on beer sponsorship I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No drink sponsorship in La France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dunphy's great. If he was slagging off some other team Pool fans might be able to appreciate him for his entertainment value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Liverpool fans repeat verbatim what Dunphy has to say about Ronaldo ffs

kippy wrote: »
    Okay,
    I havent heard the rant but lets put this in perspective.
    Liverpool found themselves in one of the easier groups in the CL and still managed to let it get to the last game of the group having already been beaten by these relagation fighters in the French league.
    Dunphy is entitled to his opinion, and I assume you pay a license fee as well?

yes, so he gives a big massive rant which is hugely unfounded, are valencia that crap for already being knocked out that they deserve as big a rant? what about ac milan for losing to celtic? he isnt fair or even in his analysis hence why his opinions are coloured & biased bs. he is just playing the controversey card. as royal says he is funny and entertaining, but so is dale winton in some circles - doesnt mean he should be a pundit.

and i dont just give out about for his anti-pool rants, im fair and even and pick him up for every bit of sh1t he talks. read my sig for an example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Actually if Dunphy's only value was to have people create threads like this because of what he says on tv then he'd still be worth the licence fee, alone.

Dunphy, the world's greatest troll

yes, so he gives a big massive rant which is hugely unfounded, are valencia that crap for already being knocked out that they deserve as big a rant? what about ac milan for losing to celtic? he isnt fair or even in his analysis hence why his opinions are coloured & biased bs. he is just playing the controversey card. as royal says he is funny and entertaining, but so is dale winton in some circles - doesnt mean he should be a pundit.

and i dont just give out about for his anti-pool rants, im fair and even and pick him up for every bit of sh1t he talks. read my sig for an example
    Again, I assume you pay some form of a licence fee as well?

Valencia and AC Milan are not the main subject of the Irish publics affections, hence the lack of Dunphy giving too much of a toss about them.
    Hes a far better pundit than 90% of the crap that appears on Sky, BBC etc.
    Kippy

• Advertisement

sorry, thought this was obvious - but yes if ur asking.

aye that's true about milan and valencia, but again - he talks nonsense about loads of teams/players and that's where i have my problem. carrick is apparently a nothing player... sure forget his pass completion rate being one of the highest in the league for the past two seasons (highest in 05/06, second highest in 06/07) and tackle completion and vision... hes nothing sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

aye that's true about milan and valencia, but again - he talks nonsense about loads of teams/players and that's where i have my problem. carrick is apparently a nothing player... sure forget his pass completion rate being one of the highest in the league for the past two seasons (highest in 05/06, second highest in 06/07) and tackle completion and vision... hes nothing sure

Carrick is crap to be fair.:D

I find them a lot more palletable than the english channels.
    Sure all they do is moan,but at least they try to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

first 11 or squad?

I aint saying definatively...cause its a matter of opinion, BUT

Torres, Gerrard could and would feature in any of them first 11.

Carragher/Vidic - nothing in it
    Lucas/Anderson - nothing in it
    Babel/Nani - nothing in it
    Finnan/Neville - nothing in it
    Reina/VDS - nothing in it
    Mascherano/Hargreaves - nothing in it

the above, are all about personal preference or very close decisions.

thats leaving out Agger and Alonso, who are also good enough to feature in any of the other top 4.

In short, Dunphys comments were nonsense.

But that is a suprise to no one.

Fair enough on the licence, you should make it more obvious then that it's not just YOUR licence fee (as stated above) but OUR. From the outside it looks like you believe yourself to be outside if the group that pay the licence fee.

He does, at times spout nonsense, however as I said I prefer him to a lot of the "yes men" on other channels and the general RTE lineup of himself Brady and Giles beats the crap out of anything else available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

in fairness he regulary rights off the finest of teams, aresnal, man utd, ac milan etc, only about month ago he completely wrote off barcelona and said seville will win the champions league. you see dunphy dosnt do research, he dosnt do considered thoughtful philospohical arguements about anything. he watchs football on the telly, probably in a pub with the volume down (hence why he dosnt realise who is who when hes playing!!)

someone said hes irelands biggest troll, great call, he even looks like one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Valencia and AC Milan are not the main subject of the Irish publics affections, hence the lack of Dunphy giving too much of a toss about them.
    Kippy

I'll have to agree with ya. I'd rather listen to him than maybe any other pundit in the UK. But he's been sticking the knife in more and more now lately. He even had Souness singing from the same hyme sheet tonight. Credit where credit is due like.

To win our last three group games the way we did, despite the start. Deserves credit. But no, in all those games the opposition simply crumbled.

And then the cnut has the cheek to say that he 'worships' Liverpool!!

And I'm not even going to touch on what he said about our signings. It's easy when you can blow 20 or 30 million on a player whenever ya want.

For the record. I wouldn't swap Reina, Carra, Agger, Finnan, Alonso, Gerrard or Torres for any player in the same position from other 3 sides.

id swap agger for vidic, terry or even big rio.
    finnan is at the same level as the other 3
    id take essien over alonso if i was to be honest
    id take cech over reina
    thats about it.

id swap agger for vidic, terry or even big rio.
    finnan is at the same level as the other 3
    id take essien over alonso if i was to be honest
    id take cech over reina
    thats about it.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. But anyone who picks Terry over Carvahlo, or Rio over Gallas don't really know too much about the game. IMO only! Or at least views the game in a very different way to me.

Essien over Alonso is subjective of course, we have an Essien already, a better one, Gerrard!! Cech hasn't quite been the same since the injury and Reina is a better fit for Liverpool anyway.

On second thought, I'd have Sagna over Finnan. And maybe Gallas over Carra.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

terry and rio arent anywhere near carvalho and gallas it's ridiculous and tbh agger is the best footballing CB i've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Just one other thing on the pundits. It was at it's craziest when they said they couldn't see any of the Italian or Spanish teams beating either Arsenal United or Chelsea. I don't even care that they left Liverpool out. But who in their right mind would rule AC out of beating United...again!?! Or Inter beating Chelsea. Or Barca beating Arsenal.

Absolute madness and I'm very disappointed that Giles just sat there and didn't say anything. He's the only one who i actually respect. But my thinking is that he probably doesn't watch much Italian or Spanish football so decided to keep quiet while Souness and Dunphy pretended they go to the Bernabeau every other week.

mayordenis wrote: »
    terry and rio arent anywhere near carvalho and gallas it's ridiculous and tbh agger is the best footballing CB i've seen in a long time.

But they're English mayordenis so they're the best CB's since sliced bread. :o I think they're great players but Carvahlo and Gallas just have so much more about them. They can actually play football, which is why i rate Agger so highly, who for me is the best CB in the world at his age.

Just for the hell of it. This would be my team from the top four.

Reina

Sagna---Gallas---Agger---Evra

Mascherano
    Fabregas
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo

Rooney
    Torres

Think this just proves what a ridiculous statement it was in the first place. You could probably swap 6 or 7 seven players out of that team and it would still be top class.

im thinking the better CB to put with Carra and i think that terry is better then gallas, tho not by much. carvalho on second thoughts is prob a better bet then rio, although i still rate rio very highly. its not like alex ferguson is completely stupid and misguided when he rates him so highly and is probably, along with rooney and ronaldo one of the first names down on the team sheet.
    ppl like to give him stick cos hes a plonker, which he is no doubt - but so is G-Unit

and...
    el dude wrote:
    But anyone who picks Terry over Carvahlo, or Rio over Gallas don't really know too much about the game.

do i not? cos of that yeah? i didnt know... think i might go bang my head off a wall cos im so thick and dont know wat im talking about. we are talking about football here ya? gallas is a pretty good quarter back and he is great at punting the ball to the wide recievers whereas terry is a solid linebacker. Essien is brilliant in the offensive tackle position too......

i still think ur top 4 team idea is good tho so here goes:

Cech

-Finnan--Carvalho-Terry--Evra

-Ronaldo--Gerrard-Fabregas--J.Cole

Torres
    Drogba

its a tough team to pick and the real test would be how fabregas and gerrard play together. they both like to make runs and get forward but the amount of killer balls you'd see would be amazing. they can both tough it out defensively too... except when G-Unit goes wonky and plays through balls for the attackers. ronaldo and joe cole would make full backs cry whereas drogba and torres wouldnt be able to stop scoring together

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Kippy

Nah, he's just as bad as the pundits on Sky and BBC. They are polar opposites in that Sky are overly positive while RTE are overly cynical. On the one hand you have Jamie Redknapp talking about what a brilliant season Steve Howard is having at Derby, while on the other hand you have Dunphy ranting about how he doesn't rate Ronaldo because he's a puffball. 'The Truth' lies somewhere in between Sky and RTE. That said, I'd listen to RTE over SKY etc for entertainment value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah sure while we're at it, I think is the current best eleven from the Top 4 based on current form:

Reina
    - Arbeloa - Ferdinand - Gallas - Evra --
    --- Ronaldo - Gerrard - Cesc - Hleb --
    Torres - Tevez

Agree / disagree ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

SofaKing wrote: »
    Ah sure while we're at it, I think is the current best eleven from the Top 4 based on current form:

Reina
    - Arbeloa - Ferdinand - Gallas - Evra --
    --- Ronaldo - Gerrard - Cesc - Hleb --
    Torres - Tevez

Agree / disagree ?
    Well Cesc hasn't played the last number of games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I agree with u on current form, maybe Rooney for Tevez and Sagna for Arbeloa?

This would be my 1st choice overall, playing to the best of their ability

Cech
    -Sagna --Carvalho--Toure--Riise-

-Ronaldo--Fabregas--Scholes--Rosicky

- - - Torres - - - Drogba - - -

Bench:
    Reina
    Gallas
    Gerrard
    Van Persie
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

isn't Dunphy some prat all the same? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

armour87 wrote: »
    I agree with u on current form, maybe Rooney for Tevez and Sagna for Arbeloa?

This would be my 1st choice overall, playing to the best of their ability

Cech
    -Sagna --Carvalho--Toure--Riise-

-Ronaldo--Fabregas--Scholes--Rosicky

- - - Torres - - - Drogba - - -

Bench:
    Reina
    Gallas
    Gerrard
    Van Persie
    Rooney

someone hasn't seen Riise play in a long long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

No one rate Flamini then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

read my sig for an example
    "c'mon barbie, lets go party" ???
    Jazzy wrote:
    carrick is apparently a nothing player... sure forget his pass completion rate being one of the highest in the league for the past two seasons (highest in 05/06, second highest in 06/07) and tackle completion and vision... hes nothing sure
    Means nothing really. Backward passes and passes to people 2 feet away from you count too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Actually if Dunphy's only value was to have people create threads like this because of what he says on tv then he'd still be worth the licence fee, alone.

Dunphy, the world's greatest troll

Best post in ages! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

From the top four Id pick

Cech
    Gallas Vidic Carvalho Evra
    Ronaldo Fabregas Gerrard Rosicky
    Rooney Torres

Hyzepher wrote: »
    No one rate Flamini then?
    Well he wouldn't get in my team so that means he's ****e! Just kidding. Very handy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I understand differences of opinion and all that, but seriously, how could anyone pick Riise ahead of Cole or Evra or even Clichy?
    How could anyone pick Rosicky ahead of Hleb?

do i not? cos of that yeah? i didnt know...

Gerrard-Fabregas

Those two would never be able to play together. I've purposely left out what you went on to say seeing as you done the same to my post.

PHB wrote: »
    I understand differences of opinion and all that, but seriously, how could anyone pick Riise ahead of Cole or Evra or even Clichy?
    How could anyone pick Rosicky ahead of Hleb?

Yep, it's very worrying. I wonder if these people watch any football at all. Or just get all their analyse from Andy Gray. Riise's a donkey in all honesty, yet so many fans of other teams rate him so highly. Baffling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thats leaving out Agger and Alonso, who are also good enough to feature in any of the other top 4.

but you are only comparing to united there

i wouldnt have lucas, babel, reina, mascherano or agger in chelseas team.
    and i dont think carragher or agger would get into arsenals team, or lucas for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lucas can't even get into the Liverpool team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In short, Dunphys comments were nonsense.

But that is a suprise to no one.

Your having a laugh, right? Why are you just comparing, somewhat wrongly, with united players? The debate covers the top 4 teams.

Vidic > Carragher as are terry, gallas and carvalho.;)

If Lucas is so good why doesn't he play every week for liverpool:confused: Lampard, hargreaves, essien all better than him, as is gerrard who you haven't mentioned in this post.

Babel :rolleyes: mostly a benchwarmer for pool and why compare him to nani, why not with giggs, ronaldo, cole, hleb?

I agree about finnan and neville

Reina is a very good keeper as is van der saar, but neither are as good as cech

Mascherano and hargreaves not as good as essien

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

reina's record speaks for itself as does cech so for me its to close to call outfield carra, gerrard and torres would get into an outfield 10 from the top 4 and that to me would make the spine of the team all liverpool i'm happy with that.
    and people obviously haven't really watched masch play he's the best defensiv midfielder in the world, factor in that he's so young got so much experience already, and that he costs less than either carrick hargreaves or essien and business wise is one of the best buys(if it goes ahead) of the recent past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement