Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats better drumroe? or thomond?

• 11-12-2007 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I just reserved my spot in thomond, but for some reason my friend whent for dromroe or drumroe whatever it is. Anyways. now we have come to a crossroads to wich one of us should switch reservations so we can be in the same dorm. They say both of the accomodations are the same, but is it really? Or how about location wise. Is being closer in D better? or being farther away where it seems more quiet in T better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I just reserved my spot in thomond, but for some reason my friend whent for dromroe or drumroe whatever it is. Anyways. now we have come to a crossroads to wich one of us should switch reservations so we can be in the same dorm. They say both of the accomodations are the same, but is it really? Or how about location wise. Is being closer in D better? or being farther away where it seems more quiet in T better.

Not having lived in either, but having visited both

If you're for big noisy house parties stay in Thomond...if you likle hous perties but not on the very very rowdy side stay in Dromroe...it's closer which is the main consideration really...what course did you apply for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

well since its not CAO filling out time yet i have not applied for an acuall course, but when i do ill be going for either the creative media or the games developement. I think most likely the games developement as it more rounded for my interests. I know most people would say do the computer science course instead but i think i would find that too...... hm how do i put this...... Binary? im very good at thinking outside the box but im also very asthetic, so pure programming may bore me. also i am very good at space relations so hopefully after i want to do 3d modelling post grad after. (99 in interest test in that and abstract reasoning)

Dromroe is def closer to the CSIS building for the 9 am starts...I'd be edging that way

9 am!:eek: oh man i hate waking up before noon:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Yeah I'd go with Dromroe. It's closer; Thomond will seem so far away on a wet morning. The CSIS building (where you'll be based mostly) is very close to Dromroe too, as my good colleague ninty9er pointed out (:D). Plus there's a shop in Dromroe which might come in handy.

• Advertisement

well i hope i have no problem switching over (just got reservation confirmations letter today). i cant immagine its full already. On my trip i found drumroe to be nicer. Even the actual building looked better. It just seemed to have a much nice atmosphere to it. Although i like parties, i can see living in a party area biting me in the ass later on when i want quiet time to study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ah man ull regret not stayin in the dumps that are plassey and kilmurry fr first year
    i cant decide weather t stay in kilmurry fr second year or upgrade to cappa and have the quiet life

no thanks ill stick with my en suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Get used to it boy.....someone will beat that habit of not liking waking before noon out of you eventually.

well i hope i have no problem switching over (just got reservation confirmations letter today). i cant immagine its full already.
    You'd be extreeeeemly surprised at how quick they fill up...all the guys I know on campus have next years accomodation booked since October
    Although i like parties, i can see living in a party area biting me in the ass later on when i want quiet time to study.

For 1st year all you are required to do is pass all modules or 4 of 6 sufficiently to keep your QCA (it's a complicated measurement system on which your final degree will be based) above 2 as it's reset at the beginning of 2nd year. There's plenty of time for study later, I had a QCA average of 3.3 at the end of first year and those with a 2 were on level pegging 3 months later when it was reset. Bit of a waste really, save your study for what counts. I regret not doing more crazy fun stuff in 1st year when I had mor chance.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I had a QCA average of 3.3 at the end of first year ... I regret not doing more crazy fun stuff in 1st year when I had mor chance.

*cough, cough* loser *cough, cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

ninty9er wrote: »
    , I had a QCA average of 3.3 at the end of first year

Didn't we all:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sorry to ****e on the party but Dromroes full, so you ain't got no choice in the matter sunshine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Rory is right. Someone will beat it out of you :) You'll be running thru mucky fields still hungover at 8.57am trying to make a 9am lab.
    cson wrote: »
    Sorry to ****e on the party but Dromroes full, so you ain't got no choice in the matter sunshine :p

pwn3d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

i was in Dromoe last year, and I was late every morning. Was going to CSIS building as well.
    Id go for Thomond though. More of a laugh.

So now what you have to do, OP, is find yerself a lovely girl/boy (whatever floats your boat) who lives in Dromroe during Orientation Week and settle in with them. :)

caesar wrote: »
    Didn't we all:p
    No. :p

Mine was better. Ha.

all the roomsthat are set aside for 2nd 3rd 4th yrs are full but they keep most of their rooms for first years dont they?

seen as the cao hasnt even started yet i doubt many 1st years have applied for on campus yet i know i didnt until march last year but then maybe ye ole kilmurry isnt in as much demand

also am i leaving it too late to apply for places by leaving it till next week? im not doing anything right now accept get over a hang over so i could go and sort it all if i really wanted to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

ya there is a certain number in all 5 campus villages set aside for first years and eramus studnets...

kaimera wrote: »
    Rory is right. Someone will beat it out of you :) You'll be running thru mucky fields still hungover at 8.57am trying to make a 9am lab.

Pffft still hungover...still drunk would be more like it. There's nothing like arriving into a lecture/lab or tutorial still pissed and smelling of whatever demon brew you consumed the night before.

rmacm wrote: »
    Pffft still hungover...still drunk would be more like it. There's nothing like arriving into a lecture/lab or tutorial still pissed and smelling of whatever demon brew you consumed the night before.

Except for the poor misfortune who's stuck sitting beside you. There's nothing worse than sitting beside the still-drunk person at 9am. Makes you wana puke, no matter how fine and dandy you're feeling. And if you too aren't feeling the May West, then it's certain to bring up breakfast.:o

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    all the roomsthat are set aside for 2nd 3rd 4th yrs are full but they keep most of their rooms for first years dont they?

seen as the cao hasnt even started yet i doubt many 1st years have applied for on campus yet i know i didnt until march last year but then maybe ye ole kilmurry isnt in as much demand

also am i leaving it too late to apply for places by leaving it till next week? im not doing anything right now accept get over a hang over so i could go and sort it all if i really wanted to :rolleyes:

If i have any trouble i will have you set some of your influence on the accom team. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

rmacm wrote: »

Try landing into FG061 and attempting to sit into the row 10 from the front of the bar and then suddenly finding yourself in the row 5 from the front bar. :eek:
    And if you too aren't feeling the May West...

Wow, I thought only people from my neck of the woods used that saying!

Respect +1

Try landing into FG061 and attempting to sit into the row 10 from the front of the bar and then suddenly finding yourself in the row 5 from the front bar. :eek:

Never had anything in FG061. bluedolphin I was usually in the happy situation where those around me were in a similar state so it didn't matter much.
    Wow, I thought only people from my neck of the woods used that saying!

Nope I say it aswell and I'm from Tipp.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote: »
    You'll be running thru mucky fields still hungover at 8.57am trying to make a 9am lab.

Is that an in-joke! I chuckled.

I have nothing to add cos I never stayed in on-campus accomodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I did! They absolutely raped me on my deposit even though the room was perfect. Fair enough, general wear and tear but 300 yoyos!?

Go off-campus, cheaper and you'll have more craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Otacon wrote: »
    Go off-campus, cheaper and you'll have more craic.

I've never stayed on campus, but this is my 3rd year in the same house in College Court, and I'm coming back to it again after co-op too.

I've been in Dromroe and it just seems so lifeless, so drab etc... Off campus is so much more homely and more relaxed. Like Otacon said there is more craic too.

*Remembers wall of Beer blocking Otacon's door*

dromroe thomond and cappa are boring tbh the security is tight as **** and everyone goes to kimurry or plassey to party anyway it depends what your looking for really

i was in a gaf in colelge court last week whats the rent like they are big and no security at all which is a plus

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i was in a gaf in colelge court last week whats the rent like they are big and no security at all which is a plus

The rent depends on the room.
    I'm currently in the only en-suite which is €65 p/w. That only includes rent for the house and the bins. All other bills are split 6 ways [ESB, Internet, Sky, Oil]. The other rooms vary in price: €50 for the room off the sitting-room and kitchen, and then €55 for the one under the stairs, and €60 for the other 3 upstairs that are not en-suite.
    The house is very big in fairness, 6 people living, it never gets crowded, unlike on-campus where u can't even fit people onto the couches!
    No security allows us to have house party's with no interferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Mossin wrote: »
    *Remembers wall of Beer blocking Otacon's door*

*Remembers noises from Mossin's room when French girl was around!*

Off Campus ftw!

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    *Remembers noises from Mossin's room when French girl was around!*

D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't wait to get to France for New Year's

Advertisement