Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no refund without returning packaging?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A particular shoe shop has a till-side mantra that says if you dont return the box with the shoes, you cant get a refund. They even told me, when I said I didnt want the box, that the receipt wouldnt be enough for a refund.

Funnily I already returned a faulty pair, without the box and got a credit note.

Anyway, isnt this rubbish? Surely proof of purchase is enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hi,

A particular shoe shop has a till-side mantra that says if you dont return the box with the shoes, you cant get a refund. They even told me, when I said I didnt want the box, that the receipt wouldnt be enough for a refund.

Funnily I already returned a faulty pair, without the box and got a credit note.

Maybe they are working on the theory that you could have bought those shoes anywhere. I agree that its bull crap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sounds odd but they actually told you the conditions of sale before you completed the purchase and you had the option to decline. Who knows, it might be a fair condition of sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hi,

A particular shoe shop has a till-side mantra that says if you dont return the box with the shoes, you cant get a refund..

How do you expect them to re-sell the shoes with no box?
    They even told me, when I said I didnt want the box, that the receipt wouldnt be enough for a refund.

So they told you before you bought the shoes what their policy was...what exactly is the problem, then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

one theory was maybe they need te box if they want to resell. I think its just their drive to push their cardboard waste onto the consumer. Is there a government body that would take an email on this?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

AFAIK this is within their rights. If there is nothing wrong with the product, they don't have to give a refund at all, and if the goods are faulty generally they are returned to the supplier, and the packaging is required.

The company also has a right to offer an exchange before refund.

I am not sure how it would go if you bought something, returned it without the packaging, had it replaced/ repaired, and then it broke again, and if forwarded to the small claims court. I think in this case they'd have to give the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i bought a pair of shoes that were on sale. they didnt come with a box, that didnt bother me. the girl wrote on the receipt no box so there would be no hassle when returning them. somebody must of brought a pair back with no box.. so there was none for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

eth0_ wrote: »
    How do you expect them to re-sell the shoes with no box?

So they told you before you bought the shoes what their policy was...what exactly is the problem, then? :confused:

dont assume that just because they tell you what their policy is, doesnt make it legal or correct.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hi,

If its a refund due to faulty/unmerchantable quality goods then the box isn't needed.

If it's a refund because you no longer want the items then it should be returned in a resaleable state - these types of refunds are really at the discretion of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

As somebody else has said the shop is under no obligation at all to accept returns due to change of mind etc., so they are doing you a favor by taking them back.

Non-faulty items are normally accepted back on the condition that the shop will be able to resell them as new goods therefore it is reasonable that all packaging and related items are still attached and in a resaleable condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

You're not entitled to a refund unless the goods are faulty or unmerchantable- the shop's return policy can involve pretty much whatever conditions they like.

I'd be interested to know why so many people believe that they're entitled to a refund after changing their mind...? Not slagging off the OP or anything, I'm just curious as there were several examples of this last weekend in the shop I work in, at least 5 customers were fully convinced I was in violation of consumer rights by refusing to give refunds to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I think one of the major reasons is that people tend to watch the consumer shows on British stations, and fail to remember that they aren't in Britian. AFAIK in the UK you can legally return goods within a certain time period if you are not happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

one theory was maybe they need te box if they want to resell. I think its just their drive to push their cardboard waste onto the consumer. Is there a government body that would take an email on this?

I think you're being absolutely ridiculous and pedantic!
    Do you instantly throw boxes out as soon as you get home? I seriously doubt it. As someone else said, they're doing you a favour even considering refunding you, as they are under no legal obligation to do so if there is nothing wrong with the shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Where I worked, if you're returning the product for any other reason than a fault, you must return the packaging. How can you resell the product otherwise?

Advertisement