Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting second hd Ubuntu server

• 11-12-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

I had mentioned this problem in my other thread, but felt i'd get a better answer if i started a new one. Hope ye mods dont mind :)

I'm trying to mount a new hd thats already formatted to ext3 before i took it out of my main rig, i've made a directory in /home/public for it, taken control of it & set access mode for the folder.

This is what i've done in preparation:
    sudo mkdir /home/public/Colms_Media
    sudo chown colm /home/public/Colms_Media
    sudo chmod 777 /home/public/Colms_Media

But "fdisk -l" gives me absolutely no output at all. How can i mount this hd without knowing what its named as?

Help please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have you tried a plain old
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/public/Colms_Media

or even
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

to rule out permissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That worked m8 :D

Its obviously a permissions problem

cheers m8

Just an update, all went great, i had to change ownership of /home/public/Colms_Media to root to allow it to be shared. Uploading all my Music & vids as we speek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That's great. Bless the simplicity of ext3! ;)

Are you going to be using it all the time? Have you added it to /etc/fstab to save you mounting manually after a reboot?

ethernet wrote: »
    That's great. Bless the simplicity of ext3! ;)

Are you going to be using it all the time? Have you added it to /etc/fstab to save you mounting manually after a reboot?

Ya, added it to /etc/fstab straight away :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement