Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters straight after degree?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

im sure plenty of people have done this but id imagine its alot to take on and most people would go with a break for a while before returning to do their masters? my last year next year and sizeing up a potential masters course...the way i think of it i could end up looking for a job for that year after i finish so may as well get it over and done with...just wonderin about the workload in general?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 haughj

Hi, I worked for a fair few years, then went and did a masters. There are pros and cons. If you are working full time you can do them part time, but they are a big committement. On the other hand doing it straight after college has its merits. My opinion and it is just mine a lot of people have masters now, so sometimes good work experience can get you upto masters level. What masters are you thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

computer forensics in uk

not sure if you are interested in this suggestion, but I would reckon there is a demand for forensic auditors out there in the computing world, which you might think about. I recently dealt with somebody who was auditing a system I use, reckon he travels a lot and has a good career. If you research it, reckon there is plenty of demand out there. hope this helps,not trying to put you off a masters, but there are other options out there. best of luck with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think you should work for a few years personally..an education is worth feck all from my experience if you don't have some good work experience behind you..my job is paying for my masters now which is a nice bonus too :D same might happen for you!

haughj wrote: »
    not sure if you are interested in this suggestion, but I would reckon there is a demand for forensic auditors out there in the computing world, which you might think about. I recently dealt with somebody who was auditing a system I use, reckon he travels a lot and has a good career. If you research it, reckon there is plenty of demand out there. hope this helps,not trying to put you off a masters, but there are other options out there. best of luck with it..

ya would u not need the masters in forensics though before u could get work in this field,seems to be alot more jobs in the uk compared to ireland at the mo...are u in this field urself?

• Advertisement

EF wrote: »
    I think you should work for a few years personally..an education is worth feck all from my experience if you don't have some good work experience behind you..my job is paying for my masters now which is a nice bonus too :D same might happen for you!

god id love that...thing is this MSc has a 4 month work placement built in and everyone who has done this MSc has got placed,i think this is really good thing to have as at the moment i dont have any I.T experience...ideally id like to skip the whole tech support thing and get off to a decent start plus im 27 at the mo...

I don't work in this field, but work for a big IT company. looking to leave them, as I have started up my own business. sometimes getting the experience under your belt can help you make a decision in life where you want to go. A masters will help you, as you will learn more, but sometimes the experience is a practical help for you learn what you like and don't like..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If the MSc isn't for too long I'd say go for it so. That work placement sounds like a great idea, any potential employer would be very interested to see how you got on during that!

its for 1 year,thing is im not 100% sure CF will be for me,id be puting all my eggs in one basket as such,i need to talk to someone in the industry i think...my last year will contain more modules related to that field like crypto and security and the like so should give me more of an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Hi Swindon,

There are pros and cons for each. I did a degree in computer engineering, moved to working in finance for 2 years after that. I'm now back doing a Masters in finance. It is something I'm 100% committed to, and with the work experience and being that little bit older, I'm happy the way things have worked out.

Saying that, if I had the opportunity when I had finished the course I would have taken it.

Your area does seem a bit specialized alright, so it would be best to speak to someone in the role. Maybe apply for the masters and try and get some summer work in the area and see if you like it or not.

Ixus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think anyone who wants to and can do a Master's straight after their degree and doesn't is mad. Over and done with in one year rather than leaving employment to go back and do it or doing it part-time while working which is very draining. You have plenty of time to get work experience and you'll have the Master's wrapped.

Just to be balanced about it, the one disadvantage is that you may choose the "wrong" Master's when making the decision immediately after your degree but it'll be no load anyway. But a Master's is an easier year academically than final under-grad year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Swindon
    I agree wholeheartedly with Rosita. I have personal experience of doing a masters degree while working. It is very difficult. If I had my time all over again, I would have done masters straight after my undergraduate degree.

Today I lecture in 3rd level. I see both cases every year, at first hand- the students who go straight from undergrad to postgrad AND the people who balance their masters with work.

I have to say it is easier for the first group.

Picking the best master's for you is another problem - suggestions to talk to people in the industry is good advice. Also try to talk to staff or post grads in colleges in Ireland that have forensics courses running. I know Limerick Institute of Tech have forensics course in the science dept and post grads in computer forensics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

My advice with any postgraduate study would be to go for it right after your degree. Once you're in a job or whatnot the barriers to leaving are a bit higher.

Red Alert wrote: »
    My advice with any postgraduate study would be to go for it right after your degree. Once you're in a job or whatnot the barriers to leaving are a bit higher.

Good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I went straight to masters this year (Msocsc sociology) and hugely regret it. I can't get motivated to work at all, I want a proper job and to leave home and maybe travel a bit, feel like I'm wasting a year on the course since I know I won't do particularly well.

I went straight to masters this year (Msocsc sociology) and hugely regret it. I can't get motivated to work at all, I want a proper job and to leave home and maybe travel a bit, feel like I'm wasting a year on the course since I know I won't do particularly well.

why cant u get motivated? is this year alot harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Hey OP,

I'm currently doing an MSc. Applied in the middle of my final undergrad year as I knew it was something that I wanted to do and that it would be worthwhile. Enjoying it so far, its a fair bit tougher than my undergrad, but tbh that was what I was expecting and hoping for.

One suggestion I would make though, is to try and do your masters in a different institution than the one you did your undergrad degree in. From talking to employers and HR people, its apparent that this is much more desirable to them as it shows initiative from the student.

One trend I've noticed recently is the number of irish students going to the UK to do their masters. Im actually one of them myself and I think it would be worth your consideration if you do decide to go through with it. A wider range of courses are available and the standard of the institution can be much higher than some in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Swindon wrote: »
    why cant u get motivated? is this year alot harder?

No, I started a job that I'm probably gonna go full time in when I'm finished the masters, so I really don't need it, and the more I learn of sociology the more I dislike it.

They fill you with all this wonderfully interesting stuff, idealistic bs and then make you research research. (yes you read that right)

I'm sick of UCD too, never liked it and should have gone somewhere else but it was too handy.

Ah well I'll ride the year out and sure someday I might use the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

depends what course you've done. Im an occupational therapist so it's in my interest to gain general experience in a job before speciallising in an area. In fact most therapist don't do a masters till they're a senior grade (3 years experience).

Then again if I was in science/ engineering i'd probably do one straight away...

Hey OP,

I'm currently doing an MSc. Applied in the middle of my final undergrad year as I knew it was something that I wanted to do and that it would be worthwhile. Enjoying it so far, its a fair bit tougher than my undergrad, but tbh that was what I was expecting and hoping for.

One suggestion I would make though, is to try and do your masters in a different institution than the one you did your undergrad degree in. From talking to employers and HR people, its apparent that this is much more desirable to them as it shows initiative from the student.

One trend I've noticed recently is the number of irish students going to the UK to do their masters. Im actually one of them myself and I think it would be worth your consideration if you do decide to go through with it. A wider range of courses are available and the standard of the institution can be much higher than some in Ireland.

What are you doing your MSc in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I think it very much depends on the area.

After finishing my undergrad. last year, I'm presently doing a Masters in England and I'm not convinced it was the right decision. It's in the social sciences and I think those on the course who have some work experience benefit from it hugely and are far ahead of those with a solely academic background. Maybe I am also worn out by 4 years of undergrad and a break would have done me some good... but part of my reasoning was I got accepted now, I mightn't be again (which in hindsight, was a very foolish way to think).

Advertisement