Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limited connectivity

Options
  • 11-12-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

hi,

i am trying to connect my ps3 to internet through my laptop with vodafone usb modem. i have internet sharing on but i think the problem is that the local network has 'limited connctivity'

how do i fix this? i've given the ps3 an ip etc but how do i get the local network to have full connectivity? i've tried switching between public and private but have no real clue what i am doing but i've tried lots of random things hoping to get lucky but.... no luck

any help much appreciated!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

can anyone tell me why my local network keeps swithing back to public when i make it private?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Limited connectivity can mean a few things. Firewall settings are too high (lowering them helped get my mates xbox online so may help you) or the cable can be dodgy itself. I've had this problem before and for at least it was usually a dodgy cable.

Are you with Eircom and are you using a Netopia router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought you couldnt play games online with a console on 3g broadband coz of the bad speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What's your setup?

You have given the PS3 an IP? What is it, it must be a private IP as you are connecting to your computer which is an internal LAN but this isn't ideal and will not work as your computer doesn't have routing capabilities by default.

I doubt you can set up the Xbox to use proxy's or can you? If so you could set up a proxy on your PC to redirect traffic out your 3 Modem.

How are your speeds with the 3g? - Some may experience faster speed sto others as I believe the 3Mbits is shared within the cell but I amn't sure how many users can occupy the cell, the more the less speed you get. Its great out in the country where there are little users but id imagine in cities the speeds wouldn't be the best.

I doubt 3g would work very well speed wise, and it may get worse. Better off getting yourself a DSL line for your xbox to be honest, then you can connect it directly into the router or router's switch.

when i enable ICS on the 3g modem the laptop ip goes to 192.168.0.1 so i have tried giving the ps3 an ip of 192.168.0.2 dns of 255.255.255.0 and the laptop ip as default router and primary dns.

i've also changed the lan ip to automatically detect ip which then allows me to share media but still no internet.

yeah on the ps3 you can enter a proxy and dhcp but i don't know what to do with these, i always select no on these options.

when i changed the lan settings to auto ip and stream, it says local only access.

everytime i make it private it changes back to public as soon as i do an internet test on the ps3 which fails.

on the 3g modem is says local and internet but on the lan it says local only so i'm sure that's the main problem i have.

using vista by the way.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    I thought you couldnt play games online with a console on 3g broadband coz of the bad speeds?

some people over in the ps forum said they had it working fine. it all depends on where you live. worth a try as i can't get dsl.

layke wrote: »
    Limited connectivity can mean a few things. Firewall settings are too high (lowering them helped get my mates xbox online so may help you) or the cable can be dodgy itself. I've had this problem before and for at least it was usually a dodgy cable.

Are you with Eircom and are you using a Netopia router?

the cable is a brand new cross over cable. i've also tried going through a hub but couldn't get to work either.

actually also tried going through eircom netopia router but i think it's just enable for dsl. anyhow that didn't work eiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I think ICS is a windows only thing and it won't simulate a router.

And as well DNS of 255.255.255.0 is wrong as this is a subnet mask. DNS would be something like an eircom DNS or something.

What happened when you plugged into the netopia router? - All you shoud have to do to PS3 is enable DHCP (Obtain IP address) and the router should hand this out provided you are connecte dto the correct interface.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I think ICS is a windows only thing and it won't simulate a router.

And as well DNS of 255.255.255.0 is wrong as this is a subnet mask. DNS would be something like an eircom DNS or something.

What happened when you plugged into the netopia router? - All you shoud have to do to PS3 is enable DHCP (Obtain IP address) and the router should hand this out provided you are connecte dto the correct interface.

sorry meant subnet of 255.255.255.0

i haven't really tried any of the dhcp settings, when you enable it, it asks for dhcp hostname i think, what is this? is it the ip of the laptop?

i can try this router later. so it's auto on ip and everything but just try the dhcp?

Advertisement