Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pound Stats 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

How many in January 2008?? Doesn't bear thinking about.
    You will be a busy man Egar.You do a great job rehoming and taking care of unwanted and unloved dogs you deserve a medal.:)Would love to do what you do but I wouldn't be able to handle the heartbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Does that include greyhounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

That includes every dog which ended up in the pound. It does not include dogs handed straight into rescue, dogs pts'd at the vets by order of their owners, dogs killed otherwise (hanging, drowning, poisoning etc).

It doesn't paint a pretty picture about Ireland...

I've seen photos of what happens to some of the greyhounds that end up in spain, the government should be ashamed.

There should be a panorama program about this, might get the government to wake up and do something or be shamed in to doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's terrible :( the unnofficial figures are probably double that thought if you count all the puppies etc that are drowned and there are probably dogs just left to starve as well or whatever. who knows what goes on behind closed doors/in remote areas. at least nearly 10,000 have been saved though. :)

I agree with macshadow, there should be something on prime time investigates or similar. I bet there would be a debate if there was a dog attack but there's never anything about the poor dogs that are killed/neglected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Imagine if the greyhound stats WERE included.I think that runs officially at around 40,000 a year.That of course is only the carded dogs whose cards are returned to the ICC.The saplings and pups who weren't good enough for training and therefore never had a race card aren't included and neither are the ones whose owners never got around to notifying the ICC.I'd guess at around double the official number-at LEAST!

Advertisement