Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jodie Foster

Options
  • 12-12-2007 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a81500/jodie-foster-reveals-she-is-a-lesbian.html

This won't come as a shock to many even if she has carefully maintained her own council until now. I was wondering what the view is in the gay world about famous names not "declaring" even if psuhed to by innuendo or threats.

Does the gay population need cheerleaders (willing or otherwise) from the world of celebrity anymore? Are those who keep quiet seen as selfish or lacking moral courage?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mike65 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a81500/jodie-foster-reveals-she-is-a-lesbian.html

This won't come as a shock to many even if she has carefully maintained her own council until now. I was wondering what the view is in the gay world about famous names not "declaring" even if psuhed to by innuendo or threats.

Does the gay population need cheerleaders (willing or otherwise) from the world of celebrity anymore? Are those who keep quiet seen as selfish or lacking moral courage?

Mike.

Its no ones business what your sexuality is. How is it selfish ?
    Its not in my opinion anyway.
    (Jodie is no shock to anyone - Robbie Williams will be next)
    Its her Business and noone elses,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Pressure from gay rights groups? They should be ashamed. Nobody should be forced out of the closet. Gay celebrities do help understanding, of course, but what Tom/Dick/Harry does in bed is nobody else's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its slightly ridiculous that she has only come out now.
    Every dog on the street has known she is lesbian.
    She has been living with the same woman for only the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't see how it is anyones business but her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

maybe I'm nitpicking but is it not so much to say that shes "confirmed that she's a lesbian" but more that she has confirmed her love for her partner who happens to be a woman ?

I've lived with my partner for some time , he really just happens to be a guy, when I lived with my girlfriend i wasn't being straight, - I was i think just being in love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

mike65 wrote:

Tricky one.

What you have to ask is, would they be keeping quiet if they were straight? While some celebrities keep relatively quiet about their personal lives, it's only the gay ones who have to actively hide it, and (some of whom) have to deliberately deflect questions or outright lie in interviews to avoid the topic. And the sad fact of it is, that sends out a message to society that it's still not OK to be gay - its grand if you're nobody, but if you're someone in the public eye, it's just not acceptable, and it'll screw up your career. Which is ridiculous in some ways (would Ellen still be a celebrity if she hadn't come out? Doubtful), and just plain sad in others (in that it sometimes can screw things up); either way, the perpetuation of this message doesn't do anything to change it. Nothing will change until enough famous people come out that it's not seen as a big deal any more (which, selfish sidenote, helps the rest of us quite a bit), but it takes a few fore-runners willing to take a lot of **** for who they are before that can happen.

So is it fair for people to pressure people like Jodie Foster to come out before she's ready, or to pry into her life so much that she has no option left but to admit it? No. But would it be a brave, courageous, selfless move for her to have been open about it years ago - she's one of the biggest female names in Hollywood, ie, one of the few who'll get sole-name billing on summer blockbusters - and for others to follow her lead? Definitely. I don't think it's so much a case of those who don't do it "lacking moral courage" as it is a case of those who do come out having that bit extra of moral courage. Which doesn't mean that I don't view those who lie about it to help their careers less favourably than those who don't lie, but does mean that I don't think they're bad people for doing it. If any of that makes any sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

I love Jodie Foster and fair play to her for keeping something out of the public eye for so long, she obviously wanted to keep her private life private and I respect her all the more for it. It doesn't matter that its another woman she is seeing, she is famous for her TALENT alone and not many people in hollywood are these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Fair play to her, if she wans to be more open about her sexuality that's great. What's of more concern to be is the quality of the movies she's making recently. I'd agree she's a talented actress, but the films she's starred in over the last few years, such as Contact, Panic Room and Flightplan have been very poor. I think Foster hasn't been in a decent movie since the Silence of the Lambs. I hope her latest film, The Brave One directed by Neil Jordan, will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

i thought Panic Room was a very good film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Oracle wrote: »
    the films she's starred in over the last few years, such as Contact, Panic Room and Flightplan have been very poor. I think Foster hasn't been in a decent movie since the Silence of the Lambs. I hope her latest film, The Brave One directed by Neil Jordan, will be better.
    Flight plan was rappih!

and Panic Room looks deadly too

The Brave One is meant to be pants, sure it lead to the WB bannin all future Female leads

ANYWAY

Yeah, she was kinda bullied to admit she's a lesbian

Thats why I hate people sayin yer sexuality is who you are, its not, its PART of who ye are, and its all them things put together that define a person, not just who they wanna bone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Foster a lesbian? Haha eat your heart out John Hinckley!

Advertisement