Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much tax per km/mile are you paying?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 1:43am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I do about 15k (miles) per annum. I pay €821 annually for the privelige which works out at about €0.055 (5 1/2 cent) per mile or €0.034 per Km

Who on here is paid the most for one car in the last year?

current motor tax rates...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tax will be €1491 come my next renewal. I do about 11,000 km per year so it works out at about €0.13 per km. Tax costs me about the same as petrol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

For comparison.......

Tax (Tabs) $120 23,000 miles.

That said, you pay sales tax no matter what, although its a once-off. Either at the dealer or when you register it. So based on that $322

So in eurons thats about a cent a mile. Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

For comparison.......

Tax (Tabs) $120 23,000 miles.

That said, you pay sales tax no matter what, although its a once-off. Either at the dealer or when you register it. So based on that $322

So in eurons thats about a cent a mile. Crazy!

Eurons??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Eurons??

Yes, "Eurons?". The official currency of Uranus. You need to travel more:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i do 9000 miles per annum, motor tax is currently 1131 so about 12c per mile :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Current tax - 242 euros, do about 24000 miles a year. Fairly close to precisely 1c a mile.

If I bought the same car in June 08 it'd be 100 euros, so .4c a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unkel wrote: »
    Tax will be €1491 come my next renewal. I do about 11,000 km per year so it works out at about €0.13 per km.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Current tax - 242 euros, do ab

Perfect example - the polluter pays my ar*e :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Cyrus wrote: »
    i do 9000 miles per annum, motor tax is currently 1131 so about 12c per mile :mad:
    If you average average 30mpg that's roughly 1500 litres of fuel at a tax of 50c approx per litre that's another €750 which brings it up to 21c and that doesn't take into account car depreciation every year aswell (which depreciates tax and VRT from purchase price)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RobAMerc wrote: »

Its great, isn't it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kbannon wrote: »
    I do about 15k (miles) per annum. I pay €821 annually for the privelige which works out at about €0.055 (5 1/2 cent) per mile or €0.034 per Km

Who on here is paid the most for one car in the last year?

current motor tax rates...

slow day in the office Killian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you average average 30mpg that's roughly 1500 litres of fuel at a tax of 50c approx per litre that's another €750 which brings it up to 21c and that doesn't take into account car depreciation every year aswell (which depreciates tax and VRT from purchase price)

average 30 mpg....i wish :p:o

RobAMerc wrote: »

Yup. I'll probably get the dubious honour of winning this competition :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

if my calculations are correct

2 * f * u * k * k * i * n *g + m*u*c*h = answer.

thats the total per annum btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

MYOB wrote: »
    Current tax - 242 euros, do about 24000 miles a year. Fairly close to precisely 1c a mile.

Almost exactly the same as this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Nelly23

15,000 miles a year...€151 tax = 1c per mile!! And my wee micra(wave) does around 50-55 mpg! Cheap as chips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Annual mileage roughly 8500 km, tax from feb €1491, giving 17.5 cents/km.
    Logically, I should drive(/pollute) more to get value for money.
    In practice, I'll probably take the car off the road for a few months a year.

You win, bmoferrall ;)

Taking it off the road for a few months hardly makes for a significant saving, does it? Paying for tax per year is a good bit cheaper than paying per 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

€391 and 3000miles, or 13c per mile (8c/km). Fuel costs about 19.5c per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Eurons??

I guess the pun missed you.

Euro or Euros to be pedantic, whichever you choose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

To be even more pedantic:D the plural of euro is euro. There's no such thing as "euros".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My own figures are average (9k miles, €391 tax), but a friend of mine averages 1,000 miles a year in his LS400, which he taxes quarterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

€391 / 30,000km = €0.013/km

JHMEG wrote: »
    My own figures are average (9k miles, €391 tax), but a friend of mine averages 1,000 miles a year in his LS400, which he taxes quarterly.

Here are the sums to prove your friend is the winner:

Tax: (4 quarters * €379 ) + 11% increase = €1,683 tax over 1,000 miles that is €1.05 per km :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

unkel wrote: »
    Taking it off the road for a few months hardly makes for a significant saving, does it? Paying for tax per year is a good bit cheaper than paying per 3 months

Well, if I take it off the road for 4 months (not in one block) I'd be paying roughly €1122 p/a. Assuming the same mileage (increased mileage during taxed months only, of course!), that would bring the cost per km down to 13.2 cents (from 17.5); significant enough for me anyway.

Advertisement