Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Virtanen wrote: »
    Amazon Customer Support, top notch

After receiving a boxset that didn't have all the discs included, and with no more in stock to send a replacement, the rep decided to refund me in advance, before sending it back to them

Not happy with the situation but very happy with the way Amazon handled it, especially since it wasn't even their fault

Agreed. Christmas present didn't arrive within time estimated and I was immediately refunded shipping cost. There was a swift reply on Christmas Eve outlining this would happen which it surely did.
    It still hadn't arrived today and was given a full refund no questions asked and also told to keep the product, on them, if it ever so happened to turn up.

It was a gift for my god son for christmas day which I felt awful having to tell him was not going to be there till the New Year but I am in awe of their handling of the situation. I have honestly never experienced customer service like it!

Bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

leroy d wrote: »
    Just a shout out regarding ECCO shoes. I have worn ECCO shoes for many years and they have always been really comfortable. However in recent years my experience suggests their durability is certainly an issue. Basically, I have 2 pairs of ECCO shoes and their soles are falling apart. Search youtube with 'Ecco Track II - Boots Sole Disintegration' and you pretty much see what I am saying. In fairness, my ECCO shoes are 18 months-2 years old, but only have been worn occasionally and always looked after. I would have expected a lot more from shoes costing 150-170 Euro.
    One thing is for sure, I will be avoiding the ECCO brand in the future.

I got a pair of Ecco black leather knee high boots in January sale 2014. I wore them a handful of times and on a night out the right heel completely fell off.
    I took them to a cobbler in the same shopping centre as I had them a few months and had worn them so didn't think I could return them. He looked at them and immediately commented on how little wear there was and because they were a known brand for quality I should return them as a whole heel should not just come off like that!
    Anyway I did so and ECCO were fantastic. They firstly tried to repair them with their own cobbler (which I was happy to do so as I LOVED the boots) but admitted they could not. I had lost my receipt but they gave me a credit note for the amount paid and in my opinion was pretty fair.

I will say though that the quality in ECCO isn't what it used to be. I got another pair of shoes and they just aren't made like they used to be!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Where do I start? I always have problems when getting something delivered with Fastway. It's always 5.30 - 6pm when they deliver.

It's never fast, like today is the third attempt to deliver the parcel and apparently they said this two times on the tracking system: "In order to effect delivery, we tried to ring the customer but there was no answer at the number provided and we were unable to leave a message"

I never got a missed call and I have a voicemail. Dishonestly is up there with them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Mr. G wrote: »
    Where do I start? I always have problems when getting something delivered with Fastway. It's always 5.30 - 6pm when they deliver.

It's never fast, like today is the third attempt to deliver the parcel and apparently they said this two times on the tracking system: "In order to effect delivery, we tried to ring the customer but there was no answer at the number provided and we were unable to leave a message"

I never got a missed call and I have a voicemail. Dishonestly is up there with them :mad:

To be fair, it's the particular driver(s) and not the company.. but they should be checking if attempts (outgoing calls etc) have been made to deliver the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I ended up having to go and collect a product from a company once, gave up on Fastway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

PeteK* wrote: »
    To be fair, it's the particular driver(s) and not the company.. but they should be checking if attempts (outgoing calls etc) have been made to deliver the package.

Hmm I'm not so sure about this, I have had the same problem with the Admin staff which I why I think it's not only the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hmm I'm not so sure about this, I have had the same problem with the Admin staff which I why I think it's not only the drivers.
    I got a forged delivery signature off them once so they're definitely not without their problems. Package was left on the doorstep.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have to praise Amazon's customer service, they're consistently the bar by which I judge others but have only ever had to deal with them in regards to returns.
    Recently I placed an order with Amazon.fr but omitted an item in error, my mistake. Several hours later when I noticed my mistake I attempted to cancel the order, as the shipping process had already begun this was not possible. I ordered the omitted item separately (which had a hefty shipping price proportionately) and contacted amazon's CS asking, as a gesture of goodwill, if they would waive the shipping cost as I had meant to order it with the prior large order. Within the hour I received a reply to my request informing me that the shipping fee would be waived. No messing around, just reasonable behaviour on their part.

Well done amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

5 weeks and counting trying to get broadband set up. I live in Dublin like so whats the problem?!

Technician due to arrive today but another no show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

yopy wrote: »
    5 weeks and counting trying to get broadband set up. I live in Dublin like so whats the problem?!

Technician due to arrive today but another no show.

It took my friend 6 months to get her broadband set up by Eircom I'm not exaggerating. She had tons of complaints with comreg and stuff and it was a nightmare for them to get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

They said that to me, "we called 3 times before we left"...no you didn't, why lie.

Littlewood use them so I pay 4 euro and have parcels delivered to Parcel Motel now, just so my blood pressure doesn't rise :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

My sister just ordered broadband.. again. An order was placed online on Christmas Eve, but just assuming the timing of placing the order didn't help with being speedy. Ordered again today, on the phone.. a week maximum was given. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good
    Nightline couriers. Failed deliveries because they haven't even a simple sat nav. Saying nobody was home when in fact we were there all day every day but were outside and didn't hear the phone when the driver wanted directions. Directions to a place he was 2 days previous.
    Dreadful service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dunnes Stores- I never thought I'd be singing their praise. They have a special on frozen Youngs fish at the moment. A packer must have put the wrong product in the freezer- a different frozen fish, also by Young. I paid and then checked my receipt. Instead of being charged 1.99 per unit (and I had bought 9 to fill my freezer) I was charged 4.99 each. I brought it to the manager's attention- offering to leave it back, as I had only purchased it because it was on special. He insisted on refunding the whole price- 45 Euro- and let me keep the fish. We're going to be eating fish for the next while- but its yum!

Well done to the manager- it was really decent of him- and I'll certainly be far more inclined to shop there in future.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Tried to buy a washer/dryer locally in Athlone last weekend and you would think I was trying to buy a multi-coloured Rolls Royce car or something. DID had the machine I initially wanted but only in their Galway branch but the Athlone shop said they would try and get them to send it over. On Saturday, they phoned and emailed Galway about it but didn't get a response. I was told they would call me later as I had a few other things to do at the time and wasn't waiting for them to reply. NO CALL.

Went back in to DID on Sunday evening where the salesperson I dealt with the previous day recognised me and was blaming someone else on not calling me back as she finished at 1 - only a very short while after I had left the shop apparently so she had no intention of following Galway up or ringing me back. They then dissuaded us from the Candy machine we initially wanted and in fairness seemed to be talking sense about spending a little bit more on a higher spec machine. They recommended one and said they would call the supplier on Monday morning to see if they could get one. They promised to call me back. I should say at this point that our washing machine had died and it's kind of urgent so we were stressing this all along. NO CALL BACK.

I rang DID on Monday to be told the guy I dealt with Sunday wasn't in today (neither was the original sales woman) and they gave me an excuse for him that was probably genuine but who knows. Anyway the 3rd person I dealt with there promised to check this machine out and call me back. At least he did call back but still no joy on sourcing their recommended washer dryer. He also tried this with another model with no joy before ringing me on Tuesday recommending the Candy machine his colleagues had belittled days before. He also said that it would take about 9 days to get it in for me. The mind boggles! At this point I thanked him and said I had no choice but to go elsewhere.

We spent the last couple of days doing more research online and opted for one in Power City. I ordered it this morning from their Tallaght outlet and within minutes of paying for it online we got a call from them to arrange delivery. For tomorrow afternoon. Now that's what I call service. Touch wood that it all goes well but so far it's a massive kudos to Power City and a big fat zero for DID in Athlone.

So much for keeping it local!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

As most boardsies, I have always found Amazon to be extremely helpful when it comes to returns. In the last month both a 4G Moto G and a pair of earphones (both oddly in the same purchase) broke. The phone's on/off button stopped working and noise started to interfere with the sound signal to the earphones. In both cases, Amazon replaced the item with absolutely no hassle. In the case of the phone they had to issue a refund which was done in a matter of days. Their customer service is usually why I don't mind paying the extra euro or two in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I got an item from Photobox before Christmas and the package was in the worst state I've ever seen, cardboard all torn and half-assedly stuck back together with address labels! Obviously it didn't leave their facility in that state and my item was fine, but I sent them pictures just to let them know in case they'd had other issues with delivery and needed to talk to their distributors and they gave me €10 credit. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saorla4

Anyone thinking of heading into Three Store <SNIP> just would like you to know I had a very bad experience in their today with the way I was spoken to and treated by <SNIP>. I left the shop feeling intimidated, belittled and frankly like I was treated in a bullying manner. I've been quite upset about this since and feel it wouldn't of happened if my husband was with me! All I went in for was to collect something that wasn't available when I upgraded, paid and received my new phone the previous day. I must mention the man I dealt with that day <SNIP> was extremely helpful and a pure gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Best/Worst Customer Service thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BERTM

I sick to the teeth of trying to get tradesmen that are in any way reliable.

Just for 1 example (of very very many)
    I have recently been trying to get a plumber / heating contractor to quote me for a job in my house. I've so far, in the last 2 weeks contacted 4 different companies who have webpages advertising their "great and reliable service" and each one has either failed to return calls / messages or worse still made arrangements to call but never showed.

My elderly Mother in law also had a situation recently whereby, having having eventually got a "reliable plumber" to replace a shower, it stopped working within a couple of days and he refuses to call back after charging her €400.00 for supplying and fitting the cheapest possible shower (he also fixed a tap for that)...

I'm amazed somebody hasn't started a website similar to TRIPADVISOR where all these cowboys could be named and shamed and blacklisted in future.

Of course it can also be used for commending tradespeople who do what is paid for to a satisfactory level.

I would be very interested in collaborating on this issue if anybody is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oasis in Blanchardstown not only replaced a watch when I didn't have my receipt but the lovely manager even set the time on a new one for me! It's the little things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Another positive mention here for Amazon customer service. I had ordered some items, which were being shipped to my work address. I was surprised to get an email saying that the parcel had been returned undelivered to Amazon. I got in touch with Customer Services, and while he couldn't explain the reason for the return, he immediately replaced the order. Not only that, he dispatched it via courier, so I had it the very next day. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Was in Boots in Jervis Centre.Was looking to buy some new make up.The woman Jane who served me was very good.I suffer from hearing loss and she was very patient in explaining everything.Gave me some good advice wihtout trying to get me to buy things.

Pity they cant all be like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Carphone Warehouse

Trying to ring to reserve something in one of their for 3 hours and no answer.

For some reason their helpline staff cannot reserve for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Used them yesterday for two locked Meteor Alcatel phones. Very happy with the service ( 2hrs 20 mins the 1st one, the 2nd was overnight as I entered the details at 01.30am ) and gave them a positive review on Trustpilot , where they have a positive rating.

Guaranteedunlocks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rozz

Ow gosh.. I should read your post earlier. Appointment made at 3pm to replace the wheel bearing and brakes check up.Soon I found out the car will be ready at 1pm the next day.
    I gave up waiting a few days before. I was waiting there for an hour already but my car was still there where I left

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eseamus

These lads have to be the worst couriers of all time. Anybody got any experience with these cowboys? I can't understand how they are still in business. Have my package in cork for over a week, I live in Tralee not even a phone call. Completely useless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've had murder with them more than once
    Including an episode where a delivery driver repeatedly said he left àn expensive package with our buildings superintendent then it was supposed left with a neighbor twice ,
    Then after getting on to the head office the driver eventually said he delivered the package we were waiting on to a good friend of his for safe keeping .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Merged into best/worst customer service experiences thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 starray

We bought a SONOROUS TV Stand PL.3400 PL 3405, Piano Black, in D.I.D Electrical Wexford on the 07.08.2011. The TV stand has 5 Years Warranty.

Sunday the 26.10.2014 the bottom shelf Exploded/Shattered sending glass all over the room.

I reported the matter to the Manager <SNIP> at D.I.D Wexford on Monday 27.10.2014.
    The Manager phoned on the 30.10.2014. He was unable to sort the problem asked me to phone or email customers service.

The Manager of Customers Service did not reply to our last email.

Advertisement