Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

cathy01 wrote: »
    Rang eir yesterday.Total tool.Though he out me in mute but he didn't. I Could hear him giving out about me.So wish I could talk to a manager there.

Give up on getting any satisfactory answer/contact with anyone in charge,zoo keeper only comes in to feed them at evening times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Bought an item in Argos in the Ilac centre today for about €150. The computer system showed they had one in stock, so I was delighted it was still there. When it came out from the back the brown box they gave was much bigger than I expected. I left the shop slightly confused by the size and weight of the box, decided it would be best to open the box ... just to make sure it was what I wanted.

It was ... and more. They had given me a box containing four of the items (individually boxed). I had the guts of €600 worth of merchandise. Clearly whoever took in the stock had thought the box contained one unit, and this is what was scanned into the system. I could've walked away and nobody would've been any the wiser. But I decided to do the right thing and return it.

Explained the situation to the girl on customer service, who seemed surprised that I was returning the 3 extra items. She was very nice and went off to get a manager. But was told to just put the items to one side. So she thanked me again, I took my item and that wast that.

Except now, I must admit, I'm slightly annoyed. I'm after returning close to €450 worth of stock that they obviously didn't even know they had! The manager could have made the effort to say thanks very much at least.

Now I know this doesn't compare much to a lot of problems people have with various companies... but the more I think about it, the more annoyed I feel myself getting. When someone does me a favour I think them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Was originally really annoyed by Argos after reserving a ps4 a few weeks ago that I'd seen in Bargain Alerts. It's was 189 for 500gb console and a game. I sent someone in to collect only to be told there was no stock left but if they got more in they'd honour the price.

Heard nothing for 2 weeks and thought that was that. Got a phone call last week saying they had got a 1Tb (double memory) ps4 along with fifa and two other games and they gave it to me for 189 so got two extra games and a better console for no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Although some of their drivers can be miserable to deal with at times, I must say that Bus Eireann's complaint department are on the ball...

There was only one bus connection from Portlaoise to Tullamore and as I was getting on a bus at Cork, the driver told me that although the bus was scheduled to arrive in Portlaoise on time for me to make the connection, he would be stopping for a break in Abbeyleix so I would have to miss my connection, which is what happened.

Ended up taking a train a long way round and called Bus Eireann. They said that the driver was for the high jump and they refunded my train fare without even needing a receipt for the train.

I could've walked away and nobody would've been any the wiser. But I decided to do the right thing and return it.
    Good thing you did, otherwise they may have discovered their mistake later and come after you (assuming you paid with a card) demanding their return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Good thing you did, otherwise they may have discovered their mistake later and come after you (assuming you paid with a card) demanding their return.

And they may have crapped out marshmallows on their next bathroom break. What they may have done was irrelevant because they'll never have a chance of doing it.

All I'm saying is that I returned about €450 worth of merchandise they didn't have on their system (and still don't have on their system), and that I would expect the manager thanking me would've been a good customer service experience.

Plus if what you say is true, not only do I think they owe me thanks for returning the merchandise, but also for saving them the expense of having to chase me for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I found a wallet with 3,000 Euro CASH in and a name and address in the wallet and handed it in to the Police and got a receipt for it. The owner never even bothered to contact me although the police said they called him up and he collected it.

I have no regrets because I did a few things in my life that may be not so honourable and it helps me when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I found a wallet with 3,000 Euro CASH in and a name and address in the wallet and handed it in to the Police and got a receipt for it. The owner never even bothered to contact me although the police said they called him up and he collected it.
    I would guess the gardai are not allowed inform the owner about who handed it in, or even if they are they might not have thought to ask.

I would certainly not hand in a wallet with 3k into the gardai, especially if there was an address in it where I could easily contact the person themselves. And I am not saying I would do that on the expectation/hope of getting a reward. A couple of years ago I found a phone and turned down a reward of 50 notes from the owners husband who collected it, I was glad they were sorted out within a couple of hours of me finding it. I wonder how long the gardai would have taken, and knowing several gardai I simply would not trust the gardai, many have an irrational trust in them, thinking they are beyond reproach, same can be said for 2 other professions I can think of off hand, doctors and bizarrely butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Explained the situation to the girl on customer service, who seemed surprised that I was returning the 3 extra items. She was very nice and went off to get a manager. But was told to just put the items to one side. So she thanked me again, I took my item and that wast that.

The manager could have made the effort to say thanks very much at least.

I strongly suspect the manager may not have known anything about it..CS girl went off to get a manager then thought about the situation or discussed with her buddy, comes back and put items "to one side...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

hairyslug wrote: »
    I've had nothing but problems with Electric Ireland, from moving house to closing a deceased parents account, they made things as difficult as possible.
    Have had some horrible problems with them in the past myself. A couple years ago, I moved into a house with a friend. He transferred the electric bill from his old place to ours. Turns out he still owed some money on his old place (which I wasn't aware of). So Electric Ireland send notices to the previous house (which noone now lives at). They make no phone calls, and do not send any correspondence to the current house. After 3 letters to the previous address (that noone could read), they cut the electrical supply off to the new house. Only found out about the letters when I called them up, having been quite unpleasantly surprised by our power being off.

Had them tell me on the phone that they cut the power off to the new house as that was the address listed for the account; when I asked why they didn't send any correspondence to this address if they knew it was where the account was now held, they said the old address is where the unpaid amount originated from. Asking why they would then cut off the power to the new house instead of the old one got me nowhere.

It was absolutely ridiculous, and still gets me angry thinking about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was in Farmleigh with the kids last week band asked one of the gardener's about pumpkins. He said they hadn't done well with the bad weather, late planting etc and only had a green one. We guessed that would be the case having spoken to call gardener earlier in the summer.

We passed and were heading out the gate when he came after me with 3 small orange ones he had found. Kids were delighted.
    Beyond the call of duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Three Ireland. Failed to repair a phone - replaced incorrect parts and actually damaged the phone. Don't reply to a registered letter requesting replacement.

First time I've had to do a small claims procedure since 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Bought a chair in Harvey Norman, and ordered to have it deliverd at home, at an extra price of 49 euro. Sales agent told me I would be contacted next week and a date and time would be arranged that suits ME.

When, after two weeks I still wasn't contacted, I rang myself, and was promised an immediate call back. Did not happen Rang again, same promise, did not happen. Two days later I rang again and insisted on being put through to the delivery dept. Theu could not do that. I was promised a call back.

One day later finally someone called to arrange delivery, and of the promised date and time that suited ME nothing came through. " Oh no madam, we only deliver there on Tuesdays and Thursday and only early in the morning"..... I got upset as it would cost me at least half a day off work, and why do they promise in the first place if they are unable of keeping that promise. After all I had to pay 49 euros for it.

After agreeing a date and time, and the promise of really early delivery so I only had to take hald a day off, I found myself sitting at home waiting for the delivery truck. Got a phone call at 9:30 of someone telling me that they would be at my house at 13:30!!!

When they finally showed up all they did was put the box with the recliner chair (muddy and wet as it was lashing) in the middle of my living room and left. When I asked if they were not supposed to assemble it for the 49 euros, they smiled and told me I had to pay extra for assembling.

WIll Never Buy At HN again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ruff says flaherty

Sounds about right. They are a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Good
    I flew out to North Carolina on Monday last with United Airlines & was sitting at the bulkhead, where you typically get a decent bit of legroom.

The seat config was 2-3-2 on their Boeing 767 & there was only one other gentleman sitting in that row. Once the cabin door had closed, a couple behind asked if they could shift into our row, only to be told they'd have to fork out about $99usd for the privilege. The seats are offered as an optional upgrade at check-in, but once everyone had boarded & the seats were unoccupied, I found that money-grabbing attitude wholly at odds with announcements which thanked passengers for flying 'the friendly skies', whatever that means.

I've no problem with airlines striving for profit, but having flown about 100k miles a year over the past 5 years, it really stood out as one of the more piddling & pathetic attempts at a shake down I've seen. Indeed EI cabin crew actively seek out passengers to take an emergency exit seat if it's empty prior to takeoff, which seems an eminently more sensible approach to passenger safety, with the added bonus many folks are typically delighted to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Indeed EI cabin crew actively seek out passengers to take an emergency exit seat if it's empty prior to takeoff.

Legally required to be occupied at takeoff and landing. I have heard of some airlines asking people to sit there during those phases but move back to their cheaper seat for the rest of the time...

Allowing people pay more for them often results in people who are too young (legal), too old (fraility) too fat (praticality) to actually operate the doors having to be moved, arguments, faffing with refunds etc.

Being a very tall, relatively young (on certain routes that get mostly business pax*) male I often get offered exit rows at checkin or asked if I want to move to them after boarding with most airlines. Except Ryanair.

*or my flight to Santiago de Compostella where, excluding a young family with baby, I was probably the only passenger under 50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And i'd be thinking best of luck to them... If the entire row is free, it's not like it's putting anyone else out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And i'd be thinking best of luck to them... If the entire row is free, it's not like it's putting anyone else out

By the same token i wouldnt be upset if i wasnt let sit there for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Starbucks Blanchardstown Mall park: I handed the single staff behind the counter a completed voucher and asked for my choice of coffee. I expected a reciprocal blank stare and to get a small cup: but no, with a smile I was offered tall, grande or venti sizes and asked would I like cream? Before I actually bought anything.

Tasted good too. Oh and I had the "hot fudge chocolate" with Christmas cake and ginger biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JimDgent

RE: <SNIP> Dublin 12

They are COWBOYS!!!... Keep away from them, folks! I bought a 2012 car from them about 3 weeks ago and 2 days later the alternator went. I rang them about it and they didn't want to know about it!!! Car was advertised as "Fully Serviced" and "NCT'd". I personally had to bring it to the NCT Centre to be tested, but they paid for the cost of the NCT. The 3 month warranty they supply is not worth the paper its written on! Other problems with the car included a litre of oil needed to top up the engine oil (even though it was fully serviced??), vibrations and a severe pull in the steering wheel, both windscreen wiper blades needed to replaced, all four tyres needed to be replaced and a headlight bulb needed to be replaced. Their trade-in allowance is very poor also. I had to pay out 895 euro to put the car right within the first 3 weeks of buying the car and I am still at a loss as a result. This company advertises itself as being a member of the SIMI, but don't be fooled by this either. Once they get your money from you when you buy the car, they don't want to know you afterwards. Keep away from them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

JimDgent wrote: »
    RE: <SNIP>, Dublin 12

They are COWBOYS!!!... Keep away from them, folks! I bought a 2012 car from <SNIP> Dublin about 3 weeks ago and 2 days later the alternator went. I rang them about it and they didn't want to know about it!!! Car was advertised as "Fully Serviced" and "NCT'd". I personally had to bring it to the NCT Centre to be tested, but they paid for the cost of the NCT. The 3 month warranty they supply is not worth the paper its written on! Other problems with the car included a litre of oil needed to top up the engine oil (even though it was fully serviced??), vibrations and a severe pull in the steering wheel, both windscreen wiper blades needed to replaced, all four tyres needed to be replaced and a headlight bulb needed to be replaced. Their trade-in allowance is very poor also. I had to pay out 895 euro to put the car right within the first 3 weeks of buying the car and I am still at a loss as a result. This company advertises itself as being a member of the SIMI, but don't be fooled by this either. Once they get your money from you when you buy the car, they don't want to know you afterwards. Keep away from them!!

Did you take a test drive? Cant imagine taking a test drive and not noticing all of those defects. Go down the small claims route if you have a receipt with the terms of the warranty.

Did you take a test drive? Cant imagine taking a test drive and not noticing all of those defects. Go down the small claims route if you have a receipt with the terms of the warranty.

the warranty will only cover engine and gearbox. that would not include the alternator. a service or NCT wouldnt check if the alternator was about to go either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quickpark at Dublin Airport.

I've used them more times than I care to remember as I fly quite regularly, driving in to park there a couple of weeks ago and as I was absent-mindedly following 2 cars that had gone in before me, I passed obvious signs with arrows on pointing to where there were spaces (the car park was more than half-empty at any rate). When I went to park up, a worker in a high-viz jacket ran over and pointed me down to where the signage had been pointing us and told me to park there. Fair enough. My fault for not paying attention.

Parked it up in the correct space and walked over to the bus shelter to wait when the employee, as he passes about 20 yards away, shouts over "Did you not see the signs?". I explained to him that I hadn't been paying attention and had just been following other cars. "You wear those glasses and still you don't see!?". It wasn't in a jokey way. If he was having the craic with me I'd be the first one to laugh, but he was just being an asshole about it.

I felt like giving the obnoxious pr*ck a bollocking, but he knew which car I was driving and he probably would have keyed it.

Having said that, it's the one and only bad experience I've had with Quickpark. Unfortunately, one is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have a copy of the warranty they gave me. In the warranty it says, "Parts included in the warranty: All mechanical and electrical components of the vehicle that were manufacturer's fitments, except those listed below..." and then it lists about 100 different items not included under the warranty. No where does it state that the alternator is not excluded from being covered. If a car is advertised as "Fully serviced", you would expect that the oil was changed and topped up to the proper limit... and anything that needed to be replaced during the service would be replaced.

A service would indeed determine if the alternator was about to go. The cause of the alternator going was due to bearing faillure in the alternator. This could be heard when I bought the car because there was a grumbling sound coming from the engine when I bought it, but I couldn't find where it was coming from. So I thought I was imagining things when I heard it. I only copped what this sound was when I found out the alternator was busted. If this car was serviced, the mechanic should have copped the alternator noise, if he was any good at his job. With regards to the NCT detecting it, the car wasn't NCT'd when I bought it. I had to bring it to the NCT Test Centre myself and this is when the alternator packed it in, on the way to the NCT. By the way, the alternator went after me only driving 92 miles in the car!!

Was the car very cheap?

Is it a UK import?

Did you have it checked over by a mechanic before you bought?

2012,is relatively new and for that age of car, I'd want main dealer security.

That said, <SNIP> (if that's the actual one) as there are a load around that area would appear to be one of the better ones around that area so I would have expected a better response.

If you'd bought from a main dealer of a brand, you could have followed up with the distributor, sadly you can't do that here, but I'd try SIMI first before the small claims court.

I have a copy of the warranty they gave me. In the warranty it says, "Parts included in the warranty: All mechanical and electrical components of the vehicle that were manufacturer's fitments, except those listed below..." and then it lists about 100 different items not included under the warranty. No where does it state that the alternator is not excluded from being covered. If a car is advertised as "Fully serviced", you would expect that the oil was changed and topped up to the proper limit... and anything that needed to be replaced during the service would be replaced.

A service would indeed determine if the alternator was about to go. The cause of the alternator going was due to bearing faillure in the alternator. This could be heard when I bought the car because there was a grumbling sound coming from the engine when I bought it, but I couldn't find where it was coming from. So I thought I was imagining things when I heard it. I only copped what this sound was when I found out the alternator was busted. If this car was serviced, the mechanic should have copped the alternator noise, if he was any good at his job. With regards to the NCT detecting it, the car wasn't NCT'd when I bought it. I had to bring it to the NCT Test Centre myself and this is when the alternator packed it in, on the way to the NCT. By the way, the alternator went after me only driving 92 miles in the car!!

so you bought a car that you knew had issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

JimDgent, I appreciate that you're not happy with the service you received, but if you want to slag off companies and call them names then may I suggest that you do so on your own website. Due to Ireland's rather archaic libel laws, Boards as publishers of your posts, rather than you as the poster, could be liable should the business in question decide to take legal action for defamation. I've removed the company name from your latest post - you've already made your feelings clear about them and seeing as you've made a formal complaint against them I would suggest that it's probably in everyone's best interests if you just left it there now.

Advertisement