Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Good
    Bad:
    Eircom
    BT
    Digiweb (also been good at times, it is touch and go)

Good:
    Nintendo
    Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Bad:

Eircom(Now Capita for virtually all their customer service 1901)
    NTL(Purely because of waiting times)
    Any Bus Eireann station number(ok not strictly a call centre I know)

Good:

ESB: Very friendly and helpful, even though their billing is a joke
    Revenue

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Bad - Sky Tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I hate Eircom's voice recognition IVR most of all, it really puts me off. Vodafone have always been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Eircom callcentre is absolutely disgraceful.

Vodafone and ESB are quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm always really surprised how helpful the public service are when you call,PAYE etc, definatly a better option than going in to their offices.

Maybe all other call centers could adapt the working conditions in the public sector then they would all provide great customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i've found Meteor can be really hit and miss....sometimes they're really friendly and helpful and others they're awful!i once had the supervisor yell down the phone at me telling me i was wrong and making stuff up!!
    BT broadband are really helpful too, they always call back when they day they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Bad
    Sky, Apple

Good
    Open 24 (permanent TSB)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Has To Be 3g :eek: Snapping On The Phone, No1 That I Have Talked To Can Understand Me Nor Can I Understand Them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

EBS MBNA Visa Credit Card Line are very good and extremely helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

An excellent call center is whirlpool ,polite friendly ,and efficent
    2 bad call centers sky and 1.2.3. insurance claims line ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ESB are ok but dont instil confidence
    bord gais are the same
    three are just rubbish
    as are sky and perlico.

have always found eircom good to talk to
    and the same with all state offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm always really surprised how helpful the public service are when you call,PAYE etc, definatly a better option than going in to their offices.

Maybe all other call centers could adapt the working conditions in the public sector then they would all provide great customer service!

Yep, called the one in Kilkenny friday for copy of my p45 and the woman was very friendly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elfoley

Just after having a shocking experience with Enterprise Rent a Van got no satisfaction from them regarding a chip on the windscreen of the van which was there before I took the van from them.(I do realise I should have brought this to their attention) An excess of €300!!! What's that about? Just because they may have competitive rates always read the small print with these guys cos you aint going to get anything off them.

When I was in their office another guy was always having an issue with them over being overcharged and they really dealt with him in an incompetent manner.Guy was fuming if these are the people tourists have to deal with when they hope to hire a car then god help the irish tourism industry!!!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

My votes for best customer service are;

1. Belkin: I bought a wireless adapter from ebay, it didn't work, emailed Belkin and they sent out a new one within a few days

2. Dell UK and Ireland: Monitor broke, rang up support line on St. Patricks Day and monitor was swapped out the next day.

3. O2: Very helpful and friendly call centre staff (Not very competitive tarriffs though, so I've left them)

4. Vodafone: Very helpful and friendly call centre staff

My votes for worst customer service are;

1. Dell India: Very unhelpful and rude

2. Ryanair: Staff are very rude and unhelpful. Probably due to overwork and poor pay. Company attitude to customers and staff is terrible

Dell india are the pitts. they have their own prices for everything usually up to €100 more which is most likely added to their commission.

deal with dell in ireland if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

i asked meteor for an unlocking code for an e51 on xmas eve. i thought it would take longer, being christmas but i was told by the guy in the shop they work over xmas. a max of four to five days was the timeframe. i was told my dad would get a text(i was doing it on behalf of him cos he hasn't got a clue) Two weeks later, with no text, i ring them up. they give me a code and tell me how to put it in. the code was wrong and so was the way i put it in. i rang back twice to diff people and they told me diff ways of doing it and they were all wrong. So i asked to see a manager. after waiting ten mins on the phone i get a guy. after trying so many times, the phone was superlocked (and had to be unlocked with a machine.) he says that he was very very sorry etc etc and as a sign of goodwill, he promised he would send it on via courier. i asked how long would the unlocking process take. he said one minute. i said ok and i popped it in the swiftpost the following monday.

the following thursday i'm waiting so i ring them up and tell them why hasn't the phone been sent out. the manager said that they haven't go the phone. i get the height of it when i ask what the hell is going on down there. i then let her have it and ask the quickest way to make a complaint. she said e-mail. but i asked would i get those generic copy and paste type e-mails :" thanks you for your e-mail" etc etc. she gave me her word that i wouldn't so i sent an e-mail. sure enough, the next day, i get one. i get on the phone that instant and ask her why did i get one when she said i wouldn't. i send another e-mail and i get a reply. all this nonsense of how it was an posts fault etc etc. in the end i get and e-mail apologizing, goodwill credit of €15 and a number to call. i ring that number and i have to arrange for a call-back. i ask for after 6pm the next day. at 11am the next day i get a call. i let him have it and i ask what can be done. he said i can get an apology in a letter for me. i asked can i get one from the head of customer care and one from admin. i told him that they better be signed by a human being. a week later i get a letter that wasn't even signed. i send an e-mail. then my dad gets another €25 good-will credit.

in all my life was never treated as rudely by a company like that. the night i get the phone i ring o2 for the internet and mms settings. before i have the phone out of hand after hanging up i have the two messages.
    Thank you o2!

g-whizz wrote: »
    i asked meteor for an unlocking code for an e51 on xmas eve. i thought it would take longer, being christmas but i was told by the guy in the shop they work over xmas. a max of four to five days was the timeframe. i was told my dad would get a text(i was doing it on behalf of him cos he hasn't got a clue) Two weeks later, with no text, i ring them up. they give me a code and tell me how to put it in. the code was wrong and so was the way i put it in. i rang back twice to diff people and they told me diff ways of doing it and they were all wrong. So i asked to see a manager. after waiting ten mins on the phone i get a guy. after trying so many times, the phone was superlocked (and had to be unlocked with a machine.) he says that he was very very sorry etc etc and as a sign of goodwill, he promised he would send it on via courier. i asked how long would the unlocking process take. he said one minute. i said ok and i popped it in the swiftpost the following monday.

the following thursday i'm waiting so i ring them up and tell them why hasn't the phone been sent out. the manager said that they haven't go the phone. i get the height of it when i ask what the hell is going on down there. i then let her have it and ask the quickest way to make a complaint. she said e-mail. but i asked would i get those generic copy and paste type e-mails :" thanks you for your e-mail" etc etc. she gave me her word that i wouldn't so i sent an e-mail. sure enough, the next day, i get one. i get on the phone that instant and ask her why did i get one when she said i wouldn't. i send another e-mail and i get a reply. all this nonsense of how it was an posts fault etc etc. in the end i get and e-mail apologizing, goodwill credit of €15 and a number to call. i ring that number and i have to arrange for a call-back. i ask for after 6pm the next day. at 11am the next day i get a call. i let him have it and i ask what can be done. he said i can get an apology in a letter for me. i asked can i get one from the head of customer care and one from admin. i told him that they better be signed by a human being. a week later i get a letter that wasn't even signed. i send an e-mail. then my dad gets another €25 good-will credit.

in all my life was never treated as rudely by a company like that. the night i get the phone i ring o2 for the internet and mms settings. before i have the phone out of hand after hanging up i have the two messages.
    Thank you o2!
    had similar problems with meteor when trying to get an unlocking code from them! they seem unwilling to give customers codes that might let them leave meteor but in the process they are driving more customers away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Never really thought of it before but as much as I dislike banks AIB 24 hour banking is unbelievably good.

Always really helpful and nice no matter what you call them for, always get to the resolution and ask if they can do anything else.

Also the AIB internet banking system is the best I've seen for an Irish bank. It does everything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

My 18 year old Son needed some formal-wear and saw some good bargains on the Burtons UK website.
    I was reluctant to buy in case the suit, shoes, etc didn't fit well and I didn't want the hassle of returning goods to the UK.
    Instead, I phoned their Galway store to check if they had what we wanted in stock but they didn't have all of those particular lines.
    Anyway, we visited the Galway store to try on the items and then perhaps buy them online at much lesser cost.
    The Assistants, particularly Therese, were very helpful and did all they could to please us.
    In the end the only item we needed that they had in stock and could have been bought cheaper online were a pair of shoes.
    I pointed out the substantial difference in the price of the shoes and I stated, truthfully, that I couldn't afford to pay their instore prices.
    I asked for a discount and was told that there was a 'special' on the shoes that reduced their price by 25%.
    I also asked for and received a 10% student discount on all my purchases, on production of my 'mature' student card.
    All in all I paid €154 instead of the asking price of €186.
    I left the store as a very satisfied customer.
    I want to spend my money in my country, not abroad, and if other traders could afford to meet us part of the way, like Therese & her colleagues in Burtons, then I'd be happy to buy from them, even if a bit more expensive than overseas online stores.
    Well done Burtons Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 scruff murphy

Senna wrote: »
    In my experience the worst are;
    1.Payal. Leave you on hold for hours and wont answer emails that are in anyway complicated.
    2.Dell. Complete morons, lost my order, i reordered, they canceled my order, they couldn't tell me way.
    3.Currys. Local shop changed to Currys and now they keep sending me bills for something i paid for in the shop.
    4.Sky. Make up reasons not to turn off your movies or whatever crap. I phoned up a couple of days later and the fella (must be the only intelligent member of staff) was able to do everything i asked their and then. Asked him why this couldn't be done 2 days ago, he couldn't answer that one, it wasn't even the end of my billing month.
    5.Quinn Direct. Gave me a quote on a car i was think of buying. Just by chance i phone again to confirm quote, only to be told, we don't quote that type of car, the first quote was a mistake.

I seriously dread phoning any company if i have a problem, you just know its not going to be nice and easy and sorted out at the end of the call.
    What your experiences?
    Hey, you left out Eircom, how could you. the only difference between Eircom and Ryanair customer care is at least you get what you pay for with Ryanair. I reckon all customer care agents in Eircom are handpicked for their horrible bitter twisted and sour personalities. Theyll be ok with this recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Feebs1977

Does any know how to contact NTL in writting or phone or email to Complain, Cancel and kick ass?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I've had some terrible experiences with BT Broadband, such that I just don't ring them anymore. The people there are alright, but they're just extremely inept and quite often aren't able to help me.

Apple aren't great either. Meteor were alright to me though, but I haven't had any huge problems or anything, to be fair.

Dell are a pain in the ass.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    I've had some terrible experiences with BT Broadband, such that I just don't ring them anymore. The people there are alright, but they're just extremely inept and quite often aren't able to help me.

Apple aren't great either. Meteor were alright to me though, but I haven't had any huge problems or anything, to be fair.

Dell are a pain in the ass.
    Yes, but Im telling you they all tell you that the land lines belong to eircom, and when theres a problem, they say eircom have them by the short and curleys with red tape. iv no phone for the last 3 days because of this, and my "EIRCOM NEIGHBOURS" all have perfect service. We all share the same telegraph pole, and yet because I am not Eircoms customer any more, I just have to grit my teeth and wait.

Feebs1977 wrote: »
    Does any know how to contact NTL in writting or phone or email to Complain, Cancel and kick ass?????[/quotejust Email them and tell them to get their equipment off your home, or you will, and change to sky. Much better service and choice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

scruff murphy - Cool it with the anti-eircom posts. At no stage have you detailed the issue, or any steps taken on your part to attempt to resolve the issue.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    scruff murphy - Cool it with the anti-eircom posts. At no stage have you detailed the issue, or any steps taken on your part to attempt to resolve the issue.

dudara[/qudear dudara,
    all I know is Iv had no phone service for 4 days now, no communition from smart telecom, a very bad experience with Eircom customer service, and no resolution in sight
    I have a seriously ill child, with a life threatening illness, and eircom customer service told me they were not an emergency service, so forgive me if I seem a little devastated angry and hurt.
    - Show quoted text -
    On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM, boards.ie <no-reply@boards.ie> wrote:

Dear scruff murphy,
    dudara has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise] - in the Consumer Issues forum of boards.ie.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199604&goto=newpost
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    *scruff murphy - Cool it with the anti-eircom posts. At no stage have you detailed the issue, or any steps taken on your part to attempt to resolve the issue.
    dudara*

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
    All the best,
    boards.ie
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:
    To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=2153274&auth=ec67918dc06ee843336d6cc8d2136675
    To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=allote]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Good
    Then get a mobile phone as this situation could happen even with a phone line (i.e. cut cable, fire etc.).

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Then get a mobile phone as this situation could happen even with a phone line (i.e. cut cable, fire etc.).[/quoteI have a mobile, but its still shocking to be realise in a recession that such a callous, hard bitter and rude woman would be employed as a customer care representative in a large well known company. Pity we cant get a phone company from Newry, like when people go shopping up there. I used to be proud to buy Irish, but now Im beginning to change myviews big time.:cool::P:confused:;)]

Advertisement