Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just curious, did you complain to the management at the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Another bloody n00b signing up just to beeatch. This forum should have a minimum post count threshhold :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

How where you treated so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

what happened?

We'll decide if you were badly treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

OP probably runs the restaurant across the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Photi wrote: »
    OP probably runs the restaurant across the street.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ellablue wrote: »
    `Just wanted to let you know that I have never been treated so badly in all my life. The service is appauling im this place and people shoiud avoid at all costs

If you were that upset you'd have posted the details. Seems like character / reputation assassination to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Details for the OP on how to contact them here:

http://www.hangedmans.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭binga

I've eaten in the Hang'dman's loads of times and never had any problems. i'm a vegetarian and i didnt like the veggie option on the menu and the owner offered to cook whatever i liked up fresh for me. yummy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with the best/worst customer service thread as there is no consumer issue being discussed here.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ellablue

I had my 30th birthday party there yesterday evening. I booked the resturaunt a few weeks ago and there were 17 of us.
    As a few of the party were 10 mins late the owner shouted at us all in the bar when we arrived, advising us that he needed the table back for 8 o clock.
    I was never advised at the time of the booking that i had to vacate the table by 8pm for a second sitting.
    My booking was for 6pm and I phoned them friday to confirm the numbers and told them that I would be there between 6pm and 6:30pm to which the bar man replied "no problem"
    We walked into the resturaunt and the man stormed over to us and said..."You are all dead late ( we were 15 min late , which I had advised them would happen prev) and I need that table back by 8pm...now, you only have time for a main course okay"...Then... We were finsihed our main at 7:30pm...the same man came over to the table and said there was no time for coffee or dessert as he needed the table back..My brother asked if they could bring out a cake with candles and he said "No..."

My brother asked me to pose for a photo and the man thought he said something smart and approached my brother and said...." What was that smart remark???" it was like he was looking for a row... it was unbelieveable

My friend who is 8 months pregnant said..there was plenty of free tables around us and asked could they not use them?? The man leaned over to her and very aggresively said "No , You were late and Ive accomadated you ok!"

The main problem was that when I rang to book in the first place, I asked if he could do me a deal due to the large party. He advised that they currently had an early bird on offer until 6:30pm and as long as I ordered before 6:30pm we could get the early bird price at €25.00 per head.

We were there and had ordered by 6.30pm - it was their fault that they had over booked.. that was why they were so upset.. We were never asked if we would mind having our course in the bar or lounge..they were so shockingly rude and ignorant. Im in shock and everyone that was there were also in gobsmaked.

The food is lovely there and ive been so many times. Ive been there with work nights out which I suggested we use beacuse of the food and this was the reason I picked there for my birthday. I was embarressed and I feel that all I can do is share my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ellablue

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Another bloody n00b signing up just to beeatch. This forum should have a minimum post count threshhold :(

You own boards.ie do you??? The thread is called customer experiences...if you dont want to hear people beeeeathing well then I suggest you look on a different thread..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

microsoft: sending my rrod xbox back to me unrepaired because the warranty was void , due to the fact that the shell was removed to remove dust because it kept freezig before rrod-ing. i just thought that was retarded. if they thought i tried to mod it then they should have tested it to see if it was flashed or anything. :( this ever happen to anyone. and it took them a month to get it back after sending it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Booked flights to NYC for March (go me). Fat fingers that I am I managed to book the early flight back on the Sunday rather than the later one I wanted. Realising my error I recalled the booking online to see if I could change it - the later flight was the same price but there was a €75 change fee (the flights were only €430 all in).

So I called them and, nice people that they are, they said that, because the booking had only been made a few minutes ago, they'd waive the change fee.

You might say that's completely reasonable but reason is something that is missing from a lot of airlines.

ellablue wrote: »
    I had my 30th birthday party.......

I hope you didn't tip. I had similar shít treatment with a large group in a restaurant in Carlingford (don't remember the name). On a bill of about €600 I left 4 euros and change and made sure they knew why. And the only reason I left that was, based on how the evening had gone, I could have been waiting a lifetime for my change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My boyfriend dropped his shoes into the shoe place in Blanch shopping centre early last week to be heeled and soled. He was told that they would be ready for Saturday. He asked if they definitely would be done for then because he was flying out to Paris today and needed them. We went down on Saturday and they told him that they were not ready but that they would be definitely be done for Monday afternoon. They were waiting for a delivery of whatever they needed to sort the shoes.

We went down on Monday afternoon and the shoes were hanging in the same place, untouched, and still without a sole or a heel. When he mentioned that this was his second time coming down when he was told they would be ready the man working there told him he didn't know anything about it because he was just back from holiday. He didn't offer any solution, he just stood there saying that he was just back from holiday a few times.

My boyfriend had to buy a new pair of shoes and the shop lost out on his money and also mine as I had been planning on dropping my boots down to be heeled.

If the man working there had offered a solution, an apology, a discount, anything other than indifference, then I would put it down to one bad experience, but the way a company deals with a situation like that says a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Excellent

Boots.

When I got my member-card eariler this year i got a free voucher for double points. The voucher could be used two times.

I used it first in July and the girl serving me told me it was valid until the end of the year, it was actually supposed to have been used in September, however, as it was a fault of the Store/staff-member, and not me, they gave me double points anyway, even though they didn't have to.

Worst:

Harvey Normans.:mad:

We got a computer there in 2006 and it was fine until 2008, the monitor broke and Harvey Normans said it wasn't covered under the warranty, which was bullcrap, as it was covered, we had taken out and extra warranty for the entire computer + the extras that came with it, so we knew it was covered.

After a few phone-calls to the warranty company in Dublin, they confirmed we are covered and they contacted Harvey Normans on our behalf and said we were to be given a replacement monnitor. However, this went on for over 2 weeks and in the mean time we had to buy a new monitor, so Harvey Normans had to give use a credit note for the amount the new monitor cost us because it was their fault, then when my mum wanted to use the credit note, they told her she had to get something to the value of the credit note, and nothing priced over or under, it had to be the exact amount. After speaking to a manager she was finally allowed to get what she wanted, and whatever it cost was deducted from the credit note.

Then eariler this year, our printer stopped working, so we contacted Harvey Normans and they said to bring the printer out and they'd send it away for repair, which they did, it couldn't be repaired so they replaced it for us.

Since then, we have had the same problem with the replaced printer, and all Harvey Normans have done is keep sending it off for repair, and every time it came back, it'd work then stop working.

In September it was sent off for repair and came back again, it worked for a few weeks, and now sometimes it just keeps saying "paper jam" - even though there's no paper in the bloody thing.

At the moment, it isn't working. So if it's still not working in January, she'll be going back to them.

An absolute disgrace.

Afaik, shops offer three option: repair, replace, refund.

We have gone through the repair and replace routes, and now, frankly, I think it's high-time they gave a refund, or at the very least, a printer that works.

I would never, ever buy anything expensive from Harvey Normans ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

-Orlaith- wrote: »

In September it was sent off for repair and came back again, it worked for a few weeks, and now sometimes it just keeps saying "paper jam" - even though there's no paper in the bloody thing.

At the moment, it isn't working. So if it's still not working in January, she'll be going back to them.

An absolute disgrace.

Afaik, shops offer three option: repair, replace, refund.

We have gone through the repair and replace routes, and now, frankly, I think it's high-time they gave a refund, or at the very least, a printer that works.

I would never, ever buy anything expensive from Harvey Normans ever again.

As a consumer, you have a right to expect a repair to be permanent. i.e. that it will last the lifetime of the product. If something fails for a second time, and the supplier offers another repair, then it is reasonable on your part to decline the repair and seek a replacement/refund.

Don't take any further repairs from HN. Tell them to sort you out with a refund/replacement or you will be lodging a complaint against them in the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

sdonn wrote: »
    I've never ever had problems with PC World customer service per se, their knowledge ain't great but then I am an enthusiast and fairly well up on the technology so that's a fairly high bar for my pinion to be based on.

My one issue is that none of them are ever Irish so they can be hard to understand - then again in my experience the foreign lads are usually more knowledgeable and helpful and actually seem to care which is pretty well worth the language barrier it comes with.

was with my partner in pc world on friday looking to buy 42 "led tv ,i wanted alot of information on hrz and spec as im using it for both gaming and hd tv viewing. i was waiting in the tv section 20 min viewing and waiting for a sales person. when none came i went to see could i get some assistance ,when i approached 1 standing alone he abruptly told me " im with lady.". well done m8 i said to myself and walked to the desk , waiting there 10 mins , all the time trying to get attention .finally we were casually leaving and i saw the manager standing at the door , i politely told here my situation , she said just a moment and a few seconds later the guy with lady turned up. i was asking all standard questions that he wasnt answering .he spoke with such a low and submissive tone all i could male out was ....this hdtv very birght screen...... my partner tought all this wet knickers funny and i was laughing too driving home without my tv. later i tought to myself who the hell ever hired this guy . the manager was the only member of staff that was irish from what i could tell. i found this trip for a tv to be funny , frustrating and very sad all in one .i was in the store 1 hour 20 mins

dudara wrote: »
    As a consumer, you have a right to expect a repair to be permanent. i.e. that it will last the lifetime of the product.

Is this actually a right or your opinion on what it should be? I've never seen any clear guidance on the whole "repair, replace, refund" thing i.e. when you can insist on one over the other. It's sorely needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Is this actually a right or your opinion on what it should be? I've never seen any clear guidance on the whole "repair, replace, refund" thing i.e. when you can insist on one over the other. It's sorely needed.

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/AskOurExpertsCategory.html

eta, wrong URL, should be this, sorry.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

ch750536 wrote: »

I don't know what that's supposed to tell me? Is there a specific one of the 30 questions you think is relevant?

In any case this would appear to be based on UK law. Or for "the brits" as your sig puts it. The irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 granadaghia

In response to the poster with the 3 mobile network , i have to confirm that their customer servive is appalling , maybe its a cultural ,language problem as they are based in India but there can be no excuse for the rudeness and bad manners that are a common feature of them
    I cannot understand how OUR green minister for comms has teamed up with them to provide the national broadband service, surely with the unemployment rate here ther must be armies of better qualified peple with manners who who be more than able to perform these job roles .
    WHAT DOES IDA MEAN; IRISH DONT APPLY

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Was eating some McCambridges Brown bread 2 weeks ago and bit into a long hard bit (no pun intended). It was like a twig off a tree, was obviously a stalk from coarse flour. I rang McCambridges and sent it in, got a full apology and a €50 voucher for Dunnes Stores this week.
    Me happy!:)

I don't know what that's supposed to tell me? Is there a specific one of the 30 questions you think is relevant?

In any case this would appear to be based on UK law. Or for "the brits" as your sig puts it. The irony.

eta....

Actually, posted the wrong URL entirely, how odd.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

ch750536 wrote: »

Again the link doesn't actually say that you have a right to expect that the repair be permanent merely that "the repair should be permanent" and that "you should be in a better position to look for a replacement or refund." At the end of the day, if you take to to small claims court it will be down to the interpretation of the judge.

Again the link doesn't actually say that you have a right to expect that the repair be permanent merely that "the repair should be permanent" and that "you should be in a better position to look for a replacement or refund." At the end of the day, if you take to to small claims court it will be down to the interpretation of the judge.

I think you are reading 'should' as 'might'.

'You should like listening to U2' is not the same as 'the repair should be permanent'

My interpretation is that unless there is a damn good reason why the repair was not permanent then refund or replacement is expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I tried to buy an item from a kitchenware supplier using their website, they have an actual shop too but I couldn't get there so this seemed to be a good alternative. The website said that it was not regular stock and it would take 4 weeks to deliver it, fair enough.

Four days later I got an e-mail thanking me for my order and they'll (start to?) make enquiries with the supplier the next day. :confused:

Nothing for a couple of days so I e-mailed them and they said they were waiting to hear back from the supplier.

Ten days or so after placing the order I get a phone call saying that it'll be two months before they can deliver the item to me! I can get the same item in a different colour for 30 euros more, although different colours are the same price on their site.

So on the off chance I googled the details of what I wanted and found the exact thing on Amazon.uk, ordered it (cheaper including post and packing) and it's here now.

When I told a friend about this she said she'd been in the actual shop some weeks ago and the woman working there refused to help her because she was too busy stacking a shelf.

I really don't know how some places stay in business.

Laptop died today so I wanted to get a drive enclosure for my old drive. I brough it down to Peats, caddy and all and they picked out appropaite enclosure. I mentioned that I also needed a screw driver as the set in the office didn't fit the screws in the existing caddy. He said no worries I'll fit it for you here and now.

For a €14 purchase I think he went above and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Praise
    XMusic in the redcow ind. estate. Very helpful staff who know what they are doing and know what they are talking about! Excellent customer service! :D

Advertisement