Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^ Any experiences I've had with Schuh online have been excellent. This includes me making a hash of an order once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

MrsBunnsy wrote: »
    Praise:
    My graphics card died and Dell replaced the motherboard immediately after me explaining that I was covered for 6 years if there was a factory fault, irrespective of their warranty.

Rant:
    I bought a new AC adapter for my laptop (Dell XPSM1330) because I lost the old one. I clicked on the make of laptop on the site and chose the cheapest compatible adapter. Then my laptop started electrocuting me.

Called Dell and they asked me to complete a number of useless tasks, and test if the laptop was still electrocuting me (by test, I had to electrocute myself which is quite painful). They sent out a guy to replace the motherboard, he forgot to plug in the fan, graphics card burned out again in 3 days. Laptop still electrocuting me.

Called dell again, same guy came out and he replaced the motherboard again and this time forgot to attach the bluetooth and speakers. I decided that instead of waiting for him to come out and do another half assed repair I would fix it myself. Laptop continued to electrocute me.

Called Dell again and despite my telling them that the motherboard was not the problem they just kept suggesting replacement.

I eventually found out, through googling, that the metal body of the laptop carries a charge because the laptop is badly made and that the adapter must have 3 pins to ground the laptop . Their website does not say this and it says that the adapter (2 pin) I got was perfectly compatible.

The dell customer representative couldn't understand what I was talking about, and neither could the three others because of a language barrier. I eventually sold the adapter on gumtree and bought a new, compatible one from duracell for half the price.

Never again

Dell were actually doing you a favor by sending out an engineer to fix the laptop that you damaged by using an unapproved charger. If you had bought a proper charger from Dell you wouldn't have had any problems.

You are covered for a "reasonable period". A laptop cannot reasonably be expected to last for 6 years, it will probably last for 3 - 4 years at most and so 3 -4 years would be a "reasonable period"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheSpectator

The issue I had with Atlas has been resolved on finding my thread on boards. While it was unfortunate for things to go that far, but all's fine now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Worst:

OCZ technology - very poor support. My SSD drive I bought had a problem so I posted in their forums looking for help. All I got was the general support manager being condescending and rude. He wasn't the slightest bit interested in helping. He just wanted to argue I guess. I won't be buying another OCZ product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 black_diamond

I have just had the worst customer service experience of my life today with Littlewoods!!!

I placed an order a month ago and still have not received it and after phoning them up about 9/10 times I am still no better off. They cancelled my order without telling me and I? still wouldnt know unless I called them wondering where the order was, which was 2/3 weeks ago now, I have had to call them a number of times since and every time I phoned they were not helpful at all and I never got any satisfaction from them at all.

Today I received a statement from them in the post which had charges on it for the items that I did not receive. apparently the problem with my order was that the delivery driver couldnt find my house but they didnt seem to have any problem finding my house to send me the bill for goods that I still havent received!!!!

Anyone that I was speaking to in the company didnt have a clue and were no help at all. I have learned a lesson today and will never ever be ordering from Littlewoods again!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathy B

I placed an order with Dell in Nov on line, which was very good, and when it arrived they had sent me two products instead of one. When i checked my bank details they had charged me for 2. I emailed them straight away and returned one immediately, I made sure to get proof of posting, as I had heard that they were impossible to deal with. Since Dec 7th I have been emailing them, telephoned them, and wrote them a letter. I am still waiting for my refund. It has put me off ever buying anything from Dell again. Any ideas how to get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Cathy B wrote: »
    I placed an order with Dell in Nov on line, which was very good, and when it arrived they had sent me two products instead of one. When i checked my bank details they had charged me for 2. I emailed them straight away and returned one immediately, I made sure to get proof of posting, as I had heard that they were impossible to deal with. Since Dec 7th I have been emailing them, telephoned them, and wrote them a letter. I am still waiting for my refund. It has put me off ever buying anything from Dell again. Any ideas how to get my money back?

If you paid by credit card, contact your CC provider and dispute the transaction. If you paid by laser, it is a good idea to formally notify your bank that this transaction was an error, and provide copies of the paper work. The dispute procedure isn't quite as easy with the bank.

If you can't get any response from Dell, consider taking out a small claims court case, or better still, reporting them to your local Garda station for theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

If you paid by credit card, contact your CC provider and dispute the transaction. If you paid by laser, it is a good idea to formally notify your bank that this transaction was an error, and provide copies of the paper work. The dispute procedure isn't quite as easy with the bank.

If you can't get any response from Dell, consider taking out a small claims court case, or better still, reporting them to your local Garda station for theft.

Don't waste your own or Garda time by taking this to the local Garda station, it's a civil matter not a criminal one.

Don't waste your own or Garda time by taking this to the local Garda station, it's a civil matter not a criminal one.

You might want to this to the Garda Fraud Squad, as they deal with these matters all the time. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that they don't have any more work to do.

Seriously, how do you draw the line between civil & criminal in such cases?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Those that know me will know I dispise Irish companys who don't respond to e-mails, anyway I was looking to get a shed so I did some looking for Irish companys online.

I found http://www.timbertrove.com/ who I e-mailed with some queries at 9pm at night, they responded at 9am the next morning answering all my queries.

Nice to see an Irish company thats on the ball and actually takes the internet seriously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh for feck sake, please don't waste the Gardai's time with such nonsense
    They will not assist with such civil matters
    You might want to this to the Garda Fraud Squad, as they deal with these matters all the time. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that they don't have any more work to do.

So your telling me the Garda Fraud Squad deal with single user civil consumer matters between an end user and a company such as Dell all the time? Care to back such a nonsense up with actual evidence?

Nobody should be telling anyone to go to the Gardai about such matters, they do not come under the Gardai's remit and its a waste of both the end users time and Gardai's time and resources.

You might want to this to the Garda Fraud Squad, as they deal with these matters all the time.

No, they don't, they deal with Fraud. This was not fraud.

Seriously, how do you draw the line between civil & criminal in such cases?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what%27s+the+difference+between+civil+and+criminal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh for feck sake, please don't waste the Gardai's time with such nonsense
    They will not assist with such civil matters

So your telling me the Garda Fraud Squad deal with single user civil consumer matters between an end user and a company such as Dell all the time? Care to back such a nonsense up with actual evidence?

Nobody should be telling anyone to go to the Gardai about such matters, they do not come under the Gardai's remit and its a waste of both the end users time and Gardai's time and resources.

I'll be first to admit that I'm no legal expert here. But what is the legal difference between a pickpocket on the street dipping into your wallet, and Dell double-dipping into your bank account?

Why the emphasis on a 'single-user' incident - Is it OK for a business to rob just one person?

Why would the Fraud Squad investigate solicitor Michael Lynn and Anglo-Irish bank, but not Dell?

Why would the Fraud Squad investigate solicitor Michael Lynn and Anglo-Irish bank, but not Dell?

Oh Jesus, would you ever get off your hole and Google this stuff before waffling here. First link back "fraud is a deliberate misrepresentation which causes another person to suffer damages, usually monetary losses."

Dell - deliberate misrepresentation, highly unlikely. Piss poor customer service, yes.
    Piss poor customer service is not a crime in Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

I went to ikea to buy some beds and desks last saturday . Checked stock before we went ,3 green bars . Arrived at ikea No stock ,no we can't reserve items like argos ,can you come back tomorrow ? WTF.!
    So we went to Bargaintown on the north road and got almost identicial items but 100euro cheaper !
    Cheers Bargaintown !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjslinkey

aon bike care! few years ago i got hit by a uninsured driver on my motorbike, told my insurance company. few months later i get my renewal quote €2,700!!! my last one was 900! they also took away my 3years no claims bonus and i didn't claim anything off them?? so i rang up. i was told they wer putting up my premium because i was "open to a claim" i spoke to manager after manager all useless idiots!!! so eventually i sent them a solicitor letter. they offerd to lower my premium and give me back my 3 years no claims..... so i sent the a letter saying "thank you for the awful experience! i was off the road for 6 months, ye will never get my business again, i will advise all my biking buddys never to get insured with you again........... go stuff yourselfs, oh im still bringing ye ta court for all the money i had ta spend on buses and taxis whill ye ****ed up" not ans crude as that, but i felt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

Good
    Good experience - Dell!
    I bought a new power cable from Dell before Christmas, got it delivered to work and was out for a few weeks so didn't get to check it only about 3 weeks after I got it. Anyway, it was the wrong input so I needed to change it. Emailed Dell who said they would not collect it & I didn't need to post it back but I could get a refund - I have ordered the correct one and got a refund for the wrong one. Fair play to Dell. It wasn't Dell's mistake but mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

as an aside my dealings with HN are positive. I sent a toshiba netbook back to them a month ago and they had it back within 2 weeks repaired(9 months old)... no charge... efficent service. but then again maybe thats just toshiba been efficent or their agent in dublin that services the toshibas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

Can I have everyones opinon/experience with / on Reid furniture?
    Their delivery company etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Also interested to hear peoples experiences of Reid as I'm *very* tempted by a suite they have for sale atm but a bit wary of Reid's rep...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

messy v messy

we ordered a couch knowing full well that there was at least 12weeks waiting as we were in no rush for it.

at the same times we ordered two bed which we were told would be available immediately with maybe a two week waiting for delivery

again we had at least 4 months to our new house so we gave a prelim delivery date that would match roughly with our couch

as it turns out the beds are delivered from the north which is dealth with seperately from anything elsw ordered so we had two offices calling us arranging different dates etc all very confusing. however at no time was this explained or was it explained by the callers. not the worst thing that can happen.

good news the delivery and couch was within the time frame we were expecting

however when we got the couch we found that some of the screws to hold on the feet were missing,no big deal i thought rang them up thinking they might have afew spares for just such a situation.

no i was told and would have to get a customer agent to contact me who would require model number etc for spares to be issued. i left it at that and went to my local diy store who sorted me out.

the customer service agent rang me 6 weeks later to order the parts for me and said it could take up to 4 weeks for delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Morfeuz

I bought a 3-2-2 last summer. It took 6 weeks for delivery. To be honest I was told it could take as long. It does make it difficult to decide to buy when you can go to a local furniture store and have next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Parents ordered a 3-2-1 from them, and payed a deposit on it and were told the balance would be paid on the day of delivery.
    Were told it would take 6 weeks to be delivered.
    3 weeks later they were rang and told to pay the balance or their order would be cancelled and they would lose their deposit.
    So my mother paid (on credit card, just like the deposit) and the week after paying were told it would now take 6 months for delivery!!

Needless to say, not very happy about it and had to threaten them with small claims before they would refund their money.

So if you like to be mucked around and you're not in a rush for your furniture then work away :)

This forum is for Consumer Issues specifically.

I've moved your thread into the best/worst customer services thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

I've had great experiences with komplett.ie - Very good service!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

When I was in the south of france last summer, i went to a dodgy, backalley tattoo parlour to get one done.
    The tattoist was a big, mean, scary looking fecker. i sat down in the chair, gave him my idea, and right as he was about to get to work on my army, I fúcking legged it!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

ddef wrote: »
    When I was in the south of france last summer, i went to a dodgy, backalley tattoo parlour to get one done.
    The tattoist was a big, mean, scary looking fecker. i sat down in the chair, gave him my idea, and right as he was about to get to work on my army, I fúcking legged it!

Damn right..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 istevenson

I went to Carol Clarke Jeweller in The Hibernian Way, Dawson Street, Dublin to have my jewellery valued. I found Carol to be very professional, highly skilled and she fully explained the process that was involved in the valuation. The cost was very reasonable and I am delighted with the valuation. Thank you Carol. Irene :)

Moved to Best/Worst Customer Service

istevenson, you have to understand how a first post like yours will be viewed. It will be seen as an attempt at advertising or "shilling".

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 istevenson

Yes I can see thast it looks that way. I was just so happy with the service I throught it would be good to share with others. Most people spend time complaining. So for a change I though it would be good to complement. :rolleyes:

Advertisement