Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The standard of customer service in shops in Ireland tends to be pretty useless across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I didn't hear any commercials mentioning the 'difference' for a few weeks now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Heard it today on RTE 1.

They employ more Irish staff......sell more Irish produce etc.....

I'm not too keen on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Heard it today on RTE 1.

And they are more expensive than retailers, who only import food or hire foreign nationals? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They employ more irish staff? Not that ive seen, they seem within the law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Heard it today on RTE 1.

They employ more Irish staff

than who?
    from my own experiences they appear to be one of the biggest recruiters of non-nationals in the sector

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

whilst yes the level of customer service in ireland has deteriorated drastically i do find this particular shop diabolical for it. they never seem curteous in my nearest shops, some don't even bother to tell you the amount your goods have added up to, just hold their hands out like they expect you to just give them your wallet and let them take out the right amount! they are so surley and never look at you. it doesn't inspire confidence.

on the other hand, generally speaking my local shop (another big name) they are very polite at least and generally friendly, although that may be because they know me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

than who?
    from my own experiences they appear to be one of the biggest recruiters of non-nationals in the sector

I was just quoting the ad. They say they employ more Irish....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was just quoting the ad. They say they employ more Irish....

That would be rather discriminatory, no?

I don't have too much of a problem with my local one, Most staff are lovely, but there's one old biddy who annoys me so much so I avoid her till and even go into newsagents next door to do the lotto if she's on the customer service desk. She's rude, or preoccupied with chatting to other staff or other old biddies.

UPC rant again.

I am happy with their product, TV and Broadband but their customer service is just the worst I have every encountered.

I called on 8.02.11 to reduce my broadband to the 10mb package because I could afford the pack I had.

Took the guys name, plugged out and back in the modem like I was told to.... Got bill today, no reduction.

Called spoke to another lovely person, took their name. Explained the problem and she even said 'ah yeah, he probably didn't do it'.

So she did it for me again.

But now I'm stuck with the higher pack for another month even though I have the guys name and the date and time of the call.

So I ask for a supervisor, I asked for them to reduce my pack starting form today, she said she'll escalate it and see what she can do.

So I have to call back again in a few days to see if this order is actually posted to my account.

Had this before when I moved house, I phoned, send e-mails, wrote letters, sent registered post, everything before they would cancel my NTL in the last house and stop billing me for 2 places.

in the end I called out to their call center in person to get it sorted!!

Unbelievable, they should just make all adjustments possible by internet and cancel the call center. i'd do a better job myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    UPC rant again.

Agree great service but really bad customer care. They really should try for an email only service with some phone for older people and people unable to use their broadband for whatever reason (sometimes you have to ring).
    InTouch wrote: »
    I have been in to this store on three occasions in the past year. On each occasion I have encountered staff who do not look customers in the eye, reach over and grab the money from your hands, barely say "thanks..." when they shove the money back at you and seem to all be burning up with resentment or just have a purely bad attitude.

Worked in roches stores for a while and the staff constantly did this, very strange. They had no time for customers but all I was thinking was please someone ask a question to get me out of this mundane job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DP Kilcullen

I'd like to hear some feedback on the above venue

I was in the Fun Factory Naas on the 6th of this Month with my Family
    We arived with 3 Children & a 12 Month old baby

I could'nt believe what I was hearing from the owner / lady
    She asked my wife did our kids have to come wearing wellies

Perfectly clean I might ad !

My wife was paying for 3 Children as our 12 Month old is to Shy to play
    The lady's response to that was if she decides to play you pay !

We decided to pay for 4 Children to keep this lady happy

During the 30 minutes we stayed there must have been 8 Safety warning
    Whilist I understand safety needs to be taking very seriously you can go over board

Children must not climb slides
    Adults must not enter play area's
    Children must not enter todler area etc etc

This was my second visit to this place
    The food & service was bad on the first visit I decided to give them one last shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Heard it today on RTE 1.

I heard that the other day. Seeing as I'm not Irish and I was at work in the store when it came on I was incredibly insulted :rolleyes: Whatever happened to Equal Opportunity Employment? Also an annoucnement blabbing about better value or whatever for 'your Irish families'. Ugh.

I heard that the other day. Seeing as I'm not Irish and I was at work in the store when it came on I was incredibly insulted :rolleyes: Whatever happened to Equal Opportunity Employment? Also an annoucnement blabbing about better value or whatever for 'your Irish families'. Ugh.

As long as companies employ people in Ireland, I don't care where their employees are from TBH. However I notice Tesco management seem to all be on visits from the UK :( this I don't like. (Or any country, as long as your living here paying taxes it doesn't really matter where you are from).

Elmo wrote: »
    However I notice Tesco management seem to all be on visits from the UK :(

Only in 'certain' stores.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Only in 'certain' stores.

Still it is unnecessary IMO and a waste of money and CO2. If they want a management service they should have it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

:mad:Carphone Warehouse in Longford. In particular, that nasty little tw*t who firstly ignored me for 5 minutes, then took my phone in for repair, telling me it'd be 7 days. I call back in 7 days, he says "Oh, it's usually two weeks." I call back in again after two weeks and he tells me there's no record of my phone ever having gone in for repair. Finally get a call three days later from a girl in the same branch saying my phone has been back in for days already and I can pick it up anytime. Never going near them again.

:mad:SKY. Shower of absolute swear words. I had Movies on a 2euro promotion for the last month. Rang up the other day to cancel it before I get charged full whack. 'Richard' told me I couldn't downgrade, because my other half is the account holder. Asked if it made a difference that I pay the sky from my bank account. He said no. I told him to ring me back at 5pm when my OH would be home, he said he would. Waited, waited, waited, no phone call. Rang Sky again, got through to a woman who transferred me straight to the right department and they cancelled it straight away, didn't even want to speak to himself. I remember last year they kept ringing to talk to him, trying to get him to take up Movies & Sports. I kept answering and telling them we didn't want them, but they kept asking for him. It got to the point where they'd hang up when I answered the phone.

:mad:The incompetent fool at chill.ie who told me repeatedly that the car I was trying to insure was an import. It's not an effing import. It's an old-style Irish reg. He is a gombeen.

:)Big huge massive thumbs up to Boots in Longford, they have the nicest, friendliest, most helpful staff that I've ever encountered in a chemist. The girls on the pharmacy counter are just adorable and willing to give their time to make sure people get exactly what they need. I was in there yesterday, and even though they were busy, someone still came over and talked me through a few choices. Well done Boots!

:)Big huge massive thumbs up to Boots in Longford, they have the nicest, friendliest, most helpful staff that I've ever encountered in a chemist. The girls on the pharmacy counter are just adorable and willing to give their time to make sure people get exactly what they need. I was in there yesterday, and even though they were busy, someone still came over and talked me through a few choices. Well done Boots!

So you got some valium after all of that hassel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Good
    I just got off the phone with meteor who have been charging me for internet on my phone every day even though i rarely use it. the very nice man at meteor sorted out my connection problem and credited me €10. fair play to him as the most i was down was €5.
    sorry mod's, didnt see this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Meteor were diverting my calls when I was unavailable or when out of coverage to the voicemail of a complete stranger!!! Rang them and they were not that concerned and said someone would be looking into it. So I sent a complaint to the data protection commissioners office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I've already put this in Motors, but it's worth a Rave here!

My parents were in Glasgow at the weekend, and on Saturday at around 9am the gear linkage went on their car as they exited a roundabout.

They had a ferry booking from Stranraer to Belfast on Sunday morning.

The AA came and towed them to a garage, who told them that it would be at least Wednesday before they'd have the car fixed.

The AA came back, towed the car to a secure compound, and dropped my parents to where they were staying.

They came back at 8:30am to pick them up, having already collected the car, and drove them to Stranraer. They had locked it in first gear for the drive on/drive off on the ferry.

After a half an hour wait in Belfast, the AA had a truck tow them to Newry where, after another hour, another truck brought them to Galway.

All in all an excellent and professional service

The only fly in the ointment was that they couldn't ring the 0800 number on their membership card from an Irish mobile in the UK. Instead they had to ring me in Galway, and I had to ring the 1800 number for the AA here, who then rang my parents Irish mobile in Scotland. Awkward, but in our case doable, and probably fine if they had been able to find a payphone near where they were. This did, however, have to be done 3 times.

A special thanks to Deirdre in their Irish office, who was extremely courteous and sorted everything out with the minimum of fuss.

Many thanks to all involved in their operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭raymark

filling your oil tank in waterford:D Raymark.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Fey! wrote: »
    I've already put this in Motors, but it's worth a Rave here!

And good to hear IMO --- well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nana fi

in october of 2010 i purchased a computer for my daughter for christmas. i brought it home and left it wrapped for christmas. in the mean time i bought a second computer for another daughter. i was told they would ring me when one was in stock as i was paying it off bit by bit. when i paid in full i was told it would be ready for pick up any time up to christmas. been a very busy mum of nine as well as working i waited until 2 days before christmas to go in and collect it. some very red faces when they realised none was in stock. the guy in charge of getting my computer forgot. i demanded a full refund and was told as i paid by lazer it would be refunded to my card and this would take 24hre. i informed them it was christmas eve the next day and i was going to have to find a new gift today and i wanted cash . after a few phone calls i got my cash refund. i was very annoyed as this was a gift for my daughter. christmas came and my daughter who did get her computer was delighted. as she was staying with me she left it in its box unopened and two days later when she returned home she set it up. it worked for 15min and then said no signal and went black this happened everytime she started it up. i took it back on dec 29th 2010 and is was sent away for repair. i was told someone would ring when it was repaired. for 2 weeks i heard nothing so i rang and rang and each time got and answering machine promising to call back. in the end i called in only to find out it wasnt sent for repair yet. i was told it would be sorted and i would be called. again i had to ring up to 3 times a week and it was still not back. finally i went in yet again a month after it was brought back and was told someone would ring. i refused to move until i spoke to the manager. and was told the guy looking after me had emigrated to aussie. the manager was handling all his clients. he promised it would be back in a week. i told him i want a refund if its not. we got it back and it worked but the button to turn it one was very hard to push, now it doesnt work at all saying no signal. im going back to the shop today and im not happy. will let you know how i get on. have bought lots off harvry normans and never a complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nana fi

i have dealt with topgifts for over 10 years and never ever had any complaints. i often go into their shop in nass and the staff are great. dont know why tis is happening to you. but i wouldnt stand for it.

nana fi wrote: »
    in october of 2010 i purchased a computer for my daughter for christmas. i brought it home and left it wrapped for christmas. in the mean time i bought a second computer for another daughter. i was told they would ring me when one was in stock as i was paying it off bit by bit. when i paid in full i was told it would be ready for pick up any time up to christmas. been a very busy mum of nine as well as working i waited until 2 days before christmas to go in and collect it. some very red faces when they realised none was in stock. the guy in charge of getting my computer forgot. i demanded a full refund and was told as i paid by lazer it would be refunded to my card and this would take 24hre. i informed them it was christmas eve the next day and i was going to have to find a new gift today and i wanted cash . after a few phone calls i got my cash refund. i was very annoyed as this was a gift for my daughter. christmas came and my daughter who did get her computer was delighted. as she was staying with me she left it in its box unopened and two days later when she returned home she set it up. it worked for 15min and then said no signal and went black this happened everytime she started it up. i took it back on dec 29th 2010 and is was sent away for repair. i was told someone would ring when it was repaired. for 2 weeks i heard nothing so i rang and rang and each time got and answering machine promising to call back. in the end i called in only to find out it wasnt sent for repair yet. i was told it would be sorted and i would be called. again i had to ring up to 3 times a week and it was still not back. finally i went in yet again a month after it was brought back and was told someone would ring. i refused to move until i spoke to the manager. and was told the guy looking after me had emigrated to aussie. the manager was handling all his clients. he promised it would be back in a week. i told him i want a refund if its not. we got it back and it worked but the button to turn it one was very hard to push, now it doesnt work at all saying no signal. im going back to the shop today and im not happy. will let you know how i get on. have bought lots off harvry normans and never a complaint

I know its crap but they are basic things, the keyboard would have been moved during repair and they should have checked each key also the woreless signal could be a drivers issue. Should be an easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Just a little note to give my vote for Samsung.

I have a 24" monitor that I bought off hardwareversand.de 2.5 years ago or so. It developed a problem powering on recently.

Having read all the horror stories about people returning monitors / TVs and having to threaten small claims court etc., I expected to have hassle.

Long story short, I didn't bother contacting the seller. Looked up Samsung's number, rang it and gave a brief description of problem. A couple of days later a courier from a repair place picked it up, had it fixed in a few days and delivered back to me, not a penny expended.

I will be way more inclined to buy a Samsung TV or whatever when next doing it after that painless experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

seagull wrote: »
    Similar experience with topgifts - spoke to the guy running the place where I went, and he told me there was no issue with dates, and that there had been availability pretty much any weekend though the year, and I could have done the activity months back. Top gifts gave me a very limited range of dates.
    don't know what is wrong with these topgifts.ie guys. Did business with them as a provider for many years with no problems, but for the last year I had to beg them for every payment (which they received upon booking), I am still waiting for a payment invoiced in December last year, and they also changed the prices we agreed upon on their website. The also don't answer my emails anymore. I asked them to remove my business from their site and do not wish to do any more business with them. Shame. they had a great business and they just shoot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of dealing with Citydeal / Groupon Customer service by Phone?

I have tryed to contact them by phone (1-800-936927) a number of times on two separate occasions over the last two months and have never got speaking to a real person! Very frustrating. Why publicise a customer service number if you don't answer it!

Interested to hear of others experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

well-heres the story-was already pissed off with them when I ordered 3 books in November and they didn't arrive until February!!sent 7 emails and they only responded to 1 giving me some excuse about them moving offices and the 'busy christmas period' and the snow yadda yadda yadda...anyway-now i've just looked on the website for a nose and the books that are 3 for 2 instore are full price on website-BEWARE!!!!I don't get how they are still in business-so much more expensive than amazon,book depository,awesome books,play and crap customer service..is it because people want to support an Irish company??Amazon employ people in Ireland..the only reason I ordered in the 1st place was because they were 3 new release books 3 for 2 and I thought I would get them fast..how wrong was ?!by the time they arrived I could have got them a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Advertisement