Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have ;) but it never took six weeks to get anything done, or the threat of a court case (and still nothing done!)

I ended up actually taking a court case against them (they settled out of court). Even after settling, I reckon they still (nearly 8 years later) owe me at least 2 grand that I'm never going to see.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Thirsty Bull Pub in Tyrellstown, Dublin 15, worst pub ever...

My uncle passed away on Friday afternoon and we were organising the funeral. Yesterday my aunt and her friend went up to organise some refreshments for after the crematorium, they said no problem, food for 60 people and took a deposit. My grandmother decided today that she wanted more food added and my aunt took a trip back up today to change the booking and see if any extra deposit needed to be paid.

The manager told her "oh sorry, we were going to ring you about that tomorrow we can't do it after all as we'll be too busy with lunch bookings". The funeral is on Tuesday... we'd have been stuck for somewhere else if they had of rang us tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

Good
    January wrote: »
    The Thirsty Bull Pub in Tyrellstown, Dublin 15, worst pub ever...

My uncle passed away on Friday afternoon and we were organising the funeral. Yesterday my aunt and her friend went up to organise some refreshments for after the crematorium, they said no problem, food for 60 people and took a deposit. My grandmother decided today that she wanted more food added and my aunt took a trip back up today to change the booking and see if any extra deposit needed to be paid.

The manager told her "oh sorry, we were going to ring you about that tomorrow we can't do it after all as we'll be too busy with lunch bookings". The funeral is on Tuesday... we'd have been stuck for somewhere else if they had of rang us tomorrow!
    Have been in there a few times & their service is not the best. did your aunt go across to the Blanchardstown Carlton (used to be the Palza), the staff & service there is so much better. And no harm to tell them what happened previously. You would imagine when it is a sensitive occassion like a funeral that people would be more considerate with bookings and arrangements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

robo wrote: »
    Have been in there a few times & their service is not the best. did your aunt go across to the Blanchardstown Carlton (used to be the Palza), the staff & service there is so much better. And no harm to tell them what happened previously. You would imagine when it is a sensitive occassion like a funeral that people would be more considerate with bookings and arrangements!

We ended up in the Bell in Blanchardstown Village who put on a lovely spread for us :)

I wouldn't mind but the Thirsty Bull have gotten a few functions from us over the last year... and I was supposed to book another function with them soon but not now. We'll be taking our business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Worst was The Gibson Hotel.
    We've stayed with them several times and never had a problem except for the last time.
    I had two twin rooms booked since November (I checked they would be two twin rooms the week before we stayed). When we arrived at 3pm only one room was ready, no problem we went off and came back later. When we did I was asked if the other room was a double....said no and was then given a room way down the corridor from the other room. Our lad has special needs so I wanted a room near him and his dad. After a long wait we were finally given a room opposite.
    When we were on our way home I realised my daughter left her headphones in the room. I phoned to tell them and was asked for my credit card details as they were charging to post them back....I suppose that's only right but I was a bit shocked, they were only small.
    I sent them an email, no reply. Even though I have further dates booked with them (which I would have cancelled if they weren't so handy for the O2).

In comparison last week we stayed at the Carlton Atlantic Coast Hotel and they couldn't do enough. Gave us interconnecting rooms with a view of the bay and were so friendly and welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sg1rebel

FALCONDALE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

For the record i live in an apartment block.

What can i say about these complete and utter clowns. They only care about the money they recieve and will do nothing for it. I am a customer of theirs ( Part of the contract when i bought my apartment) and i will a quick summation of them. On their van the following are shown to be what they do..........

1. RESIDENTAL BLOCK MANAGEMENT (Yes they will take your money and do as little work as possible for it)

2. MULTI UNIT BLOCK MANAGEMENT (Same as above but it's an excuse for more money)

3. COMMERCIAL ESTATE BLOCK MANAGEMENT (I don't know anything on this)

4. GROUNDS AND LANDSCAPE SERVICES (Joke, They haven't done anything in that respect. In fact, residents have paid out of their own pockets to have the landscape done around the dwelling, even after paying the fees)

5. HIGH RISE WINDOW CLEANING (I am in my place 4 yrs now and my windows have been washed once by the company, yes ONCE and when they did do it they used one of them scissor lift cherry picker things which absolutely destroyed the small bit of schrubbery around the entire structure.

6. AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY SERVICE (There used to be a number but it quickly dissappeared about 2 yrs ago after i personally rang the number over a noise issue on a school night, which was also against the list of rules laid down by FALCONDALE only to be told i had to ring the guards that it wasn't their problem. The person i rang was very snotty and although i knew there was nothing he could do at that point, i would of thought this would of promted him to sent out correspondance to each dwelling explaing the rules but no, nothing was ever done)

7. BUILDING CLEANING SERVICES (The carpet in our corridor gets hoovered once a week and has never been washed, never. also the walls have only been painted once also)

And just to finish it off we have been charged approx 1500 euro for the painting of parking lines over the last two years. THERE ARE NO LINES IN OUR CAR PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I categorically believe that there is no1 out there in a residental dwelling and not related or even a friend to any1 involved with these cowboys that can say anything good about them.

IN MY OPINION......Any1 who is thinking about buying a property or getting involved with anything related to these people, please do not. I promise you that you will regret it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

sg1rebel wrote: »

What can i say about these complete and utter clowns. They only care about the money they recieve and will do nothing for it. I am a customer of theirs ( Part of the contract when i bought my apartment) and i will a quick summation of them. On their van the following are shown to be what they do..........

1. RESIDENTAL BLOCK MANAGEMENT (Yes they will take your money and do as little work as possible for it)

2. MULTI UNIT BLOCK MANAGEMENT (Same as above but it's an excuse for more money)

3. COMMERCIAL ESTATE BLOCK MANAGEMENT (I don't know anything on this)

4. GROUNDS AND LANDSCAPE SERVICES (Joke, They haven't done anything in that respect. In fact, residents have paid out of their own pockets to have the landscape done around the dwelling, even after paying the fees)

5. HIGH RISE WINDOW CLEANING (I am in my place 4 yrs now and my windows have been washed once by the company, yes ONCE and when they did do it they used one of them scissor lift cherry picker things which absolutely destroyed the small bit of schrubbery around the entire structure.

6. AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY SERVICE (There used to be a number but it quickly dissappeared about 2 yrs ago after i personally rang the number over a noise issue on a school night, which was also against the list of rules laid down by FALCONDALE only to be told i had to ring the guards that it wasn't their problem. The person i rang was very snotty and although i knew there was nothing he could do at that point, i would of thought this would of promted him to sent out correspondance to each dwelling explaing the rules but no, nothing was ever done)

7. BUILDING CLEANING SERVICES (The carpet in our corridor gets hoovered once a week and has never been washed, never. also the walls have only been painted once also)

And just to finish it off we have been charged approx 1500 euro for the painting of parking lines over the last two years. THERE ARE NO LINES IN OUR CAR PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I categorically believe that there is no1 out there in a residental dwelling and not related or even a friend to any1 involved with these cowboys that can say anything good about them.

IN MY OPINION......Any1 who is thinking about buying a property or getting involved with anything related to these people, please do not. I promise you that you will regret it!!!

My advice to you sir, stop paying these tossers and clean up your own crap.

almanu wrote: »
    My advice to you sir, stop paying these tossers and clean up your own crap.

We can't as the law is all on their side. At the moment we are trying out different options but a long legal battle is almost guaranteed. Plus the law says we must have a management company in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

Dude or Dudette,
    14.45 Monday afternoon, call Joe Duffy on RTE radio 1 and cause an absolute rage about it!!!!!!

We can't as the law is all on their side. At the moment we are trying out different options but a long legal battle is almost guaranteed. Plus the law says we must have a management company in place
    take SOCOM's advice i would not stand for this **** , not for a second , and if you do let us know as i will do some checks and ring up too :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

What can i say about these complete and utter clowns. They only care about the money they recieve and will do nothing for it. I am a customer of theirs ( Part of the contract when i bought my apartment) ....

You seem to be confused about the difference between a management company and a managing agent. You'll find a good explanation of this difference and some other useful resources in the Mgmt companies forum on Askaboutmoney. Once you've worked that out, start chasing your own mgmt company directors and go along to the next AGM. Why don't you run for Director of the mgmt company yourself, and you can take great pleasure from dumping Falcondale and putting in a different agent.

Yes i might do that actually (go for director). Things are moving but slowly and i done this post as more of a warning to other people. Thanx for all the info tho guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Rant - Dunnes Stores

Absolutely sick of Dunnes in my local shopping center (Northside SC). I go in there every second day at least (for energy drinks for work :p ) and the customer service is awful. You spend about 10 minutes in the queue at the fast track checkouts, because the staff are all too busy talking to each other. No joke, there'll be 5 of them there but 4 of them standing chatting while one serves. They never speak, not even a hello or to tell you your total, they just scan the items and stick their hand out. I once got really annoyed at them because I stood waiting for 5 minutes while every person on the fast track checkouts chatted to each other and ignored the customers, so I asked one of them to get me a manager and lo and behold, one of the people chatting was a manager!

Another time I was buying smokes there. I asked for 20 vogue. The girl had never heard of them (every spar, centra etc sell them) and said "There's no such smoke as vogue." I said that they're in a small white and pink box, trying to help her but instead of saying that they don't stock them, she insisted to me that they don't exist and do I want something else as she had people to serve behind me!

I really hate the place and over the last few weeks I've started going to another shop and paying more for the stuff I want because the service is decent. They're obviously thinking it's fine to stand there and chat because a mate of mine works there and every time I am served by her, she'll chat for ages even after I've packed my shopping and will ignore other customers to talk to me until I tell her I'm in a rush and have to go because I don't want other customers experiencing what I have!

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Rant - Dunnes Stores

Absolutely sick of Dunnes in my local shopping center (Northside SC). I go in there every second day at least (for energy drinks for work :p ) and the customer service is awful. You spend about 10 minutes in the queue at the fast track checkouts, because the staff are all too busy talking to each other. No joke, there'll be 5 of them there but 4 of them standing chatting while one serves. They never speak, not even a hello or to tell you your total, they just scan the items and stick their hand out. I once got really annoyed at them because I stood waiting for 5 minutes while every person on the fast track checkouts chatted to each other and ignored the customers, so I asked one of them to get me a manager and lo and behold, one of the people chatting was a manager!

Another time I was buying smokes there. I asked for 20 vogue. The girl had never heard of them (every spar, centra etc sell them) and said "There's no such smoke as vogue." I said that they're in a small white and pink box, trying to help her but instead of saying that they don't stock them, she insisted to me that they don't exist and do I want something else as she had people to serve behind me!

I really hate the place and over the last few weeks I've started going to another shop and paying more for the stuff I want because the service is decent. They're obviously thinking it's fine to stand there and chat because a mate of mine works there and every time I am served by her, she'll chat for ages even after I've packed my shopping and will ignore other customers to talk to me until I tell her I'm in a rush and have to go because I don't want other customers experiencing what I have!

Well if Dunne's insist on paying peanut's all they will get is monkeys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This is nonsense. There are plenty of hard working people on low wages.

The-Rigger wrote: »

i agree , also plenty of dossers by the sound of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The-Rigger wrote: »

^ This. I'm on minimum wage and I'd never dream of serving a customer without smiling, asking how they are, telling them the total and saying please and thank you and have a good day. Manners cost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Dunnes starting rate is €9.30 p/h. Nothing wrong with that. I'd have each of those opperators packing delivery for 8hrs per day until they learn to treat their customers better.

That makes me so angry, there's no reason for it. Looks like the problem in that store is from the top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The wages aren't bad, but Dunnes are notoriously horrible to work for at entry level. Thanks to the high flying kind of circles I travel in, I've known a lot of Dunnes employees and it's like you can watch the place just suck the colour out of them in real time.

As far as I can tell, it's partly down to the floor managers being there so long they get completely fixated on weird little things that don't actually matter, and lose sight of the customer service end of things in the process.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that she was taken off a till by a manager to have the head eaten off her - complete with threats to her job - for not having a "work pen" on her person earlier that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The wages aren't bad, but Dunnes are notoriously horrible to work for at entry level. Thanks to the high flying kind of circles I travel in, I've known a lot of Dunnes employees and it's like you can watch the place just suck the colour out of them in real time.

As far as I can tell, it's partly down to the floor managers being there so long they get completely fixated on weird little things that don't actually matter, and lose sight of the customer service end of things in the process.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that she was taken off a till by a manager to have the head eaten off her - complete with threats to her job - for not having a "work pen" on her person earlier that day.

this isn't just a Dunnes thing. same thing in Tesco to be completely honest. and yrs ago when i worked in tesco the 1st time (don't work there now!) our manager left and we got a new chap in, who was fresh into the job and hadn't a clue. now we were not nasty fcukers. if he asked something (like location on the plu for something) we would have told him. but he was a nasty pr!ck. seriously hadn't a clue how to do his job (we knew it better than him) but treated us like the scum of the earth cos he was the 'manager' so felt he could. didn't last long in our tesco let me tell you, or many others by the sounds of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

is thast your answer to everything?
    some people are just rude? the workers i mean not customers.
    i agree , also plenty of dossers by the sound of it.
    not everyone is dossing. Although maybe they should work in a call centre for awhile where you have to answer phone within 20 seconds :)

Not so much a rant but more of an observation, was in boots yesterday(didnt go too mental)
    And they had one girl serving at the till, and as you would expect the que was forming so she rang the bell, 4 times she rang the bell and still NO ONE to help her. i had another look around as I had forgotten something, and went to que again, still no one,
    When I used to work in lidl, if the bell rang, you ran! Now the poor woman at tthe counter was ver apologetic but there was no need to be as I wasnt in a rush, just hands were FULL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

worst customer service i've experienced is samsung - been dealing with a broken fridge-freezer which is within warranty since the 17th of May and it's still not sorted. Have had to throw out over €80 worth of food :(

they have 2 different sections that deals with customer complaints - one in Cairo, and one in Gateshead and neither of these two sections seem capable of communicationg with each other. Also, they kept banging on about how their customer charter states that they will get a technician out to fix your appliance within 24-48 hours. It's only when you quote this back to them and bring attention to the ridiculousness of it seeing as you're waiting since the 17th of May that the time frame suddenly moves to 28 days :confused:

And a note to all companies everywhere that supply any kind of service or product - get the customer's name right. Every single one of the 15 or so phone calls when they've called me the wrong name, I've corrected them, they've all said they'd correct it on their system. Every e-mail addressed to me has the wrong surname on it, and I've corrected it in my reply. So today when the cocky young fella called me by the wrong name I'm kinda ashamed to say I went on a verbal rampage.

Finally, they have a certain number of approved service technicians in Ireland, but have no contingency if the guy in your area is on holidays. They won't call another technician in a different county that is the same distance away - it's your tough - you have to wait till they get back from holidays and get to the back of the queue. 28 days me hole!!! by the time yer man is back and I [hopefully] have a working fridge, it'll be more like 38:mad:

/rant
    /breathe
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

artyeva wrote: »
    worst customer service i've experienced is samsung - been dealing with a broken fridge-freezer which is within warranty since the 17th of May and it's still not sorted. Have had to throw out over €80 worth of food :(

:)

Is the fault by any chance the fridge part not working and stying about 14 degrees and the freezer part working over time?

If so, I can probably find a link to how to fix it in - takes about an hour, but very very easy. (a little messy)

Hi is it within a shop extended warranty or the manufacturers warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Bought a 21st present for my sister in designyard on Wednesday.

They offer 28 day return for a credit note if you don't like the item - very generous given the type of shop they are. When they heard that my sister is abroad they extended this until the middle of August - just asked that she email them if she was planning on returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

maxer68 wrote: »
    Is the fault by any chance the fridge part not working and stying about 14 degrees and the freezer part working over time?

If so, I can probably find a link to how to fix it in - takes about an hour, but very very easy. (a little messy)

it started back in may with the water tap stopping suddenly, then a few days of the fridge gradually getting warmer and warmer even though we've set it to 2 degrees, and the display remains constant as such. now the fridge isn't cool at all. we've had to chuck everything in it. the freezer is now making a funny rattle so we're not opening the door at all. the dispaly for the freezer says -18 and seems to be right [so far].

i'm loathe to go poking at it to be honest - by all accounts that i've been reading on the ole interwebs if the bit that's faulty is replaced, then it's probably going to break again in a few months anyway - i'd rather samsung deal with that, then give them the satisfaction of saying 'well your loss, you went messing with it and that negates the warranty' or whatever.

it's within samsung's own 24 month warranty. when we bought it, it was the floor model of the shop and when they sold it to us they said they wouldn't take it back for any reason because they were phasing out all samsung fridge freezers. we should have forked out the extra few hundred for the LG they had, but we were building our house, keen to get in, and that extra money we saved paid for the cooker and hob. hindsight is 20-20 and all that though :(

it started back in may with the water tap stopping suddenly, then a few days of the fridge gradually getting warmer and warmer even though we've set it to 2 degrees, and the display remains constant as such. now the fridge isn't cool at all. we've had to chuck everything in it. the freezer is now making a funny rattle so we're not opening the door at all. the dispaly for the freezer says -18 and seems to be right [so far].

i'm loathe to go poking at it to be honest - by all accounts that i've been reading on the ole interwebs if the bit that's faulty is replaced, then it's probably going to break again in a few months anyway - i'd rather samsung deal with that, then give them the satisfaction of saying 'well your loss, you went messing with it and that negates the warranty' or whatever.

it's within samsung's own 24 month warranty. when we bought it, it was the floor model of the shop and when they sold it to us they said they wouldn't take it back for any reason because they were phasing out all samsung fridge freezers. we should have forked out the extra few hundred for the LG they had, but we were building our house, keen to get in, and that extra money we saved paid for the cooker and hob. hindsight is 20-20 and all that though :(

I would love to know the name of the shop as I used to work in the White appliance section of a major retailer, and no matter if it was a floor model or old stock we by law had to give the standard 12 month warranty and stand over it, also in regards to the 24 month manufacturers warranty if a customer had a problem after the first 12 months we would always oblige and call the manu ourselves on behalf of the customer. Unfortunately Samsung and LG were the worst to deal with even from a retailers point of view, especially when it came to book service calls. My advice is plead with the shop, tell them the grief you are having and try and get them to call on your behalf. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

it was the floor model of the shop and when they sold it to us they said they wouldn't take it back for any reason because they were phasing out all samsung fridge freezers.

Hmmmmm, unless the shop told you the freezer was defective or the defect was obvious when you bought it I don't know how much legal water their "we will not take it back" holds. Your contract is with the shop, I'd be back there if I were you.

• Advertisement

Nightline, courier co.

Texts with invalid tracking numbers at 6am :(
    not a happy bunny

Advertisement