Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

almanu wrote: »
    Anita M. wrote: »
    Tried to trade in my old printer for a new one in argos but the girl initially refused to take the old printer for recycling as she stated she only accepted electrical goods and she thought that a printer is non electrical.

Argos are usually pretty cool about that kind of thing , was the girl just an idiot ?:pac:

Had a few returned things to Argos and theyge always been very helpful bit I find threre is always one idiot in each store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

printer cables; sherwoods 10
    argos 5
    local home shop 8
    tesco 13(gold plated)
    online less then 1 euro(new, not 2nd hand)

why would you spend in the shops. Should these markups be allowed.
    Sherwoods in waterford basically told me to f##k off down to argos so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

tsoparno wrote: »
    printer cables; sherwoods 10
    argos 5
    local home shop 8
    tesco 13(gold plated)
    online less then 1 euro(new, not 2nd hand)

why would you spend in the shops. Should these markups be allowed.
    Sherwoods in waterford basically told me to f##k off down to argos so!

Would Sherwoods be a small company ? hence they have larger overheads which is reflected in there pricing .
    however basically telling you to f**k off to Argos was rude and uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

my local hardware store. freezer took a flipsheite earlier and decided to defrost everything. needed new freezer asap. went to hardware store that had put flyer in door this morning and had advertised chest freezers in it.

couldn't see any so asked. chap says nope but can order you one in. we're like nope we need it today food defrosting, so ordering in won't be any good. thanks anyway kinda thing. chap goes 'i can order you one in!!!!!'

drove back into town and decided to check local hardware store just in case. yay they have one at reasonable price. chap very friendly and helpful. loaded into car and everything. even joked bout being round about 7 for steak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

almanu wrote: »
    Would Sherwoods be a small company ? hence they have larger overheads which is reflected in there pricing .
    however basically telling you to f**k off to Argos was rude and uncalled for.

No they wouldn't be small, they have a couple of shops in the south east and are connected to the sony centres somehow.
    I'll retract there a little he didn't actually say f##k off but his tone and manner did say as much.
    My local shop would be a stand alone shop were you expect to pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I was in Schuh in Jervis S.C a few weeks ago returning some converse.!

I went in and had to wait at the counter for about 7minutes, with about 4 members of staff walking in and out of the door beside the counter, looking at me and ignoring me.

A member of staff then came to me and asked me and I said I wanted to return them. He said that he would go and get somebody to do it and he walked away and no sight of him again.

Waited and waited. About 2 other members of staff came over to me, they didn't know how to do it and the girl who apparently did, seemed like she didn't have a clue so it took ages!!

Left the store feeling so frustrated and annoyed, Office from now on I think :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chocckydrop

need help but im new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I was in Schuh in Jervis S.C a few weeks ago returning some converse.!

I went in and had to wait at the counter for about 7minutes, with about 4 members of staff walking in and out of the door beside the counter, looking at me and ignoring me.

A member of staff then came to me and asked me and I said I wanted to return them. He said that he would go and get somebody to do it and he walked away and no sight of him again.

Waited and waited. About 2 other members of staff came over to me, they didn't know how to do it and the girl who apparently did, seemed like she didn't have a clue so it took ages!!

Left the store feeling so frustrated and annoyed, Office from now on I think :P

You won't get any goodwill refunds from Office, they refuse to do them unless genuinely faulty. Whereas Schuh do refunds within one year of purchase. I've always found Schuh staff very pleasant- your experience does sound very frustrating though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

need help but im new to this

If you've a problem with your laptop- and its still under warranty- you need to contact the retailor in the first instance- who may depending on the warranty, deal with it, or send you off to the manufacturer.

If you post in the Laptops forum (here) people might be better able to offer relevant suggestions to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

AIB Card Services get my vote after their 100% incompetence and ignorance trying to sort out one of their absolute f**k ups with an account closure request over 12 months ago.

I'm tempted to ring one of the consumer shows to let fly about it, because the level of stupidity beats anything I have EVER come across in my life.

A closure letter with a cheque - they manage to lodge the cheque but deny they have the letter (god knows how they realised what account the cheque was for, even though they lodged it correctly)

Repeated bills and demand letters for 10c outstanding, even though when I brought 10c into AIB bank to pay that, the bank refused it.

A reassurance that the 10c would be written off because of the above, followed by another bill this month for said 10c

A request in a separate letter to re-send the letter that they lost, acknowledging that the request was Sept 2010, and yet stating that they'll apply Government Stamp Duty on closure (I've already paid GSD for 2010 and the account shouldn't have existed in 2011)

Said letter had a direct line - I called it earlier and it gives a non-existent number tone.

Called the main number and was told "well it's 5pm on a Friday....."

Is it any wonder we had to bail this shower of idiots out ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

PJ Fallon, big thumbs up! Can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Ordered 4 Cartridges of ink from Maestro last Monday morning at 9.30 am on the phone. Delivered to my door 10am Tuesday. Excellent service. I live in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Fair play to Bewley's Hotel Leoaprdstown. Last night like many people stuck in the floods I needed a hotel room and dropped into this hotel. Despite being close to full because of huge demand they stuck with the normal price of 70Euro.
    How often have we seen hotels, airlines, etc take advantage of these situations and jack up the price ?
    It seems wrong to have to praise for simply doing the right thing, but still, credit where it is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

this more of a moan than a consumer issue. here i go.
    earlier on this year a new chipper opened up . all was grand. i'd be a regular in there they'd throw in something new,i'd be spending between €12-€15 per visit. so anyway they have this loyalty card. spend €20 or more get a stamp collect 10 stamps get a voucher for something like €20. so anyways a couple of weeks ago i went in spent €19.80 and asked the guy politely if he could put a stamp on my card. "no you have to spend €20" i enquired about something i bought didn't know if it was a meal deal ,he said no but if i bought a bottle of water he'd stamp it. needless to say i walked out and ripped up the card. haven't been back since and dont intend to either.
    their loss someone elses gain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Its hard to keep some people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Moaning because someone refuses to break the rules? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no Consumer Issue here - it's their offer and their rules.

Merged with the Best/Worst Customer Service thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

local chipper can afford to loose customers

Maybe he had a chip on his shoulder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Your heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I'd expect someone to give me the stamp in that case. Generally you get the credit if you are close and that varies depending on the staff member. In the OPs example he was 99% of the way there.

Of course they are not required to do this, but since the purpose of the card is to increase customer loyalty is seems counterproductive to annoy a customer over a 1% difference.

These loyalty cards usually create the impression they are like a 10% discount (spend €10 ten times and get €10 off your next purchase). Obviously they are less of a discount than that since you'll rarely be able to spend exactly the right amount to get a stamp. Hodges & Figgis have an annual card (you need to fill it within a certain time frame). You get a stamp for every €10 you spend. When I spend €12, €14, €16 I get one stamp and I don't mind. If I was to spend €19.80 and only get one stamp instead of two that would likely be the last time I'd shop there. Luckily this has never happened and I frequently get rounded up if I am a small amount short of the next stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I'd expect someone to give me the stamp in that case. Generally you get the credit if you are close and that varies depending on the staff member. In the OPs example he was 99% of the way there.

Of course they are not required to do this, but since the purpose of the card is to increase customer loyalty is seems counterproductive to annoy a customer over a 1% difference.

These loyalty cards usually create the impression they are like a 10% discount (spend €10 ten times and get €10 off your next purchase). Obviously they are less of a discount than that since you'll rarely be able to spend exactly the right amount to get a stamp. Hodges & Figgis have an annual card (you need to fill it within a certain time frame). You get a stamp for every €10 you spend. When I spend €12, €14, €16 I get one stamp and I don't mind. If I was to spend €19.80 and only get one stamp instead of two that would likely be the last time I'd shop there. Luckily this has never happened and I frequently get rounded up if I am a small amount short of the next stamp.

Perhaps the owner of the chipper treats the stamps like gold-dust, and threatened the staff with trouble if the stamps were handed out to people who hadn't spent the requisite amount? If he checked the till records, and compared the total stamps given out with the total number of applicable sales, then I would imagine that he wouldn't be very happy if there was a shortfall.

The owner may have handed out a stamp in the chipper case, but a member of staff would be reluctant to take the initiative. Of course, we don't know the intricate ins and outs of the chipper, so we can only guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this more of a moan than a consumer issue. here i go.
    earlier on this year a new chipper opened up . all was grand. i'd be a regular in there they'd throw in something new,i'd be spending between €12-€15 per visit. so anyway they have this loyalty card. spend €20 or more get a stamp collect 10 stamps get a voucher for something like €20. so anyways a couple of weeks ago i went in spent €19.80 and asked the guy politely if he could put a stamp on my card. "no you have to spend €20" i enquired about something i bought didn't know if it was a meal deal ,he said no but if i bought a bottle of water he'd stamp it. needless to say i walked out and ripped up the card. haven't been back since and dont intend to either.

more like your loss, their gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Cloud 10 beauty - recently launched Irish website for cosmetics & soaps & the like - they had a promotion recently where they offered €5 free to all their facebook fans, I took advantage of it on a Thursday afternoon, placed an order, and received the stuff in the post before 1pm the next day - the fastest shipping I've ever come across online, fair play to them, great service. http://cloud10beauty.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The worst customer service award has to go to 3 Mobile - we even had the epic megathread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I feel as though this deserves to be in here, My dell studio laptop which is two years old snapped at the hinge last week, as in snapped off while closing :eek: i rang dell and they sent someone out to fix it to my house even though it was out of warrenty by a year and used all brand new parts :) to be fair that is amazing customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Good
    Praise to the lady in tesco newbridge who exchanged my daughter's tesco mobile with no receipt(was a present). She went above and beyond to help me out so thank you annmarie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Aer Lingus - even with their lower fares still stand way and above the rest.

Bristol to Dublin flight cancelled due to fog (bristol airport is on side of hill!!)
    At same time of flight announcement, told passengers that a hotel was being arranged along with evening meal and transport and to feel free to use the phone.

Less than an hour later, we're whisked to a 4 star hotel, great meal provided (deserts were sublime) and then whisked back by taxi the next morning to catch the red eye back to Dublin.

Not one passenger had any compaints and it led to a very happy bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

maxer68 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus - even with their lower fares still stand way and above the rest.

Bristol to Dublin flight cancelled due to fog (bristol airport is on side of hill!!)
    At same time of flight announcement, told passengers that a hotel was being arranged along with evening meal and transport and to feel free to use the phone.

Less than an hour later, we're whisked to a 4 star hotel, great meal provided (deserts were sublime) and then whisked back by taxi the next morning to catch the red eye back to Dublin.

Not one passenger had any compaints and it led to a very happy bunch of people.

Makes a nice change to the hard cold terminal floor that you get with Ryan Air , god i had flying with Ryan Air .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Not once, not twice but three times in a row I have found that SuperValue in Bantry have overcharged on groceries. They say their tills are not designed to always recognise the special offers of 2 for one or there items for €4 etc.
    The Manager says we should always check our receipts - Now did you know that and how many people do that anyhow?
    I suspect that these special offers are only for those who have the time or wit to check the till receipt off against goods purchased when they get home.
    Shame on you SuperValue you are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

^^^ Dunnes are at this the whole time aswell, 9 times outta 10 if you see Flora Buttery on Offer, leave it on the Shelf cuz it'll be full price at the Till.

Advertisement