Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Sky Sports We pay more for it in Ireland than in the UK Why?
    Then we get less E.G. Man City v Porto today not available in ROI
    No explanation give No refund No customer services cept for an expensive pay as you go phone o8number
    Why are we exploited by SKY and BSKYB when we have no other choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Zorbas wrote: »
    Sky Sports We pay more for it in Ireland than in the UK Why?
    Then we get less E.G. Man City v Porto today not available in ROI
    No explanation give No refund No customer services cept for an expensive pay as you go phone o8number
    Why are we exploited by SKY and BSKYB when we have no other choice ?

I assume that Setanta and TV3 own the Irish rights to Europa League. Porto V Man City is available live on Setanta Ireland available to anyone with a basic UPC (I think Magnet have it on their basic package).

As for the cost of Sky. You do not pay Irish VAT.

You can go with UPC or Free-To-Air Satellite mixed with Saorview.

Sky will be setting up an Irish Customer Service base for its Irish Customers in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Chain reactions , never again, never sent goods i ordered, sent me someone elses order, took the money out of my bank account straight away, dont answer the phone and very slow answering emails.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Elmo wrote: »
    As for the cost of Sky. You do not pay Irish VAT.

You do actually- All Irish customers are billed by Sky Ireland, who most certainly do charge Irish VAT...... Once a company's business is in excess of a certain threshold (value not percentage) they must register with the Irish Revenue Commissioners and pay Irish VAT. Amazon charge Irish VAT on their shipments here- as do many other companies- and I can assure you- Sky charge their Irish customers, Irish VAT.

As for everything else you posted- eminent sense- a Freesat box and the terrestrial channels are more than sufficient for 99% of the population. I don't understand why Pay-Per-View is considered to be a basic necessity- it certainly isn't......

smccarrick wrote: »
    You do actually- All Irish customers are billed by Sky Ireland, who most certainly do charge Irish VAT...... Once a company's business is in excess of a certain threshold (value not percentage) they must register with the Irish Revenue Commissioners and pay Irish VAT. Amazon charge Irish VAT on their shipments here- as do many other companies- and I can assure you- Sky charge their Irish customers, Irish VAT.

As for everything else you posted- eminent sense- a Freesat box and the terrestrial channels are more than sufficient for 99% of the population. I don't understand why Pay-Per-View is considered to be a basic necessity- it certainly isn't......

In one of the UPC ads I think they are referring to Sky when they mention that they pay Irish VAT. On several occasions I have asked about this and have got the answer that they do not pay Irish VAT rates. I want proof of either answer.

In fairness to Zorbas he is looking for a Soccer match available only on PayTV tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Elmo wrote: »
    In one of the UPC ads I think they are referring to Sky when they mention that they pay Irish VAT. On several occasions I have asked about this and have got the answer that they do not pay Irish VAT rates. I want proof of either answer.

In fairness to Zorbas he is looking for a Soccer match available only on PayTV tonight.

Yes, it used to be the case. SI 520/2009 was only implemented late last year.

Re: PayTV- perhaps we have to revisit the list of events that are reserved for terrestrial tv? If Championship matches are to be excluded- perhaps we bite the bullet and accept that to watch footie we go to the pub?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Yes, it used to be the case. SI 520/2009 was only implemented late last year.

Re: PayTV- perhaps we have to revisit the list of events that are reserved for terrestrial tv? If Championship matches are to be excluded- perhaps we bite the bullet and accept that to watch footie we go to the pub?

Ah so I was right up until last year! Bit late.

I don't think Europa League could even be considered for the Events list, as for going down the pub this wouldn't help the current discussions about Sporting Events being sponsored by the Drinks industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Kalimah wrote: »
    Dunnes Kilnamanagh for rude unhelpful checkout supervisers. I had a prepaid Visa card and wanted to use it to pay for groceries and pay the remainder with my laser. "No" said the superviser as though I'd asked to pay in yen or something. Go to the ATM she said. Off I went and it took a while to get cash as there was a queue. I came back,apologised, and got filthy looks from her and the waiting custoners.
    Not pleasant at all.

It can probably be done. I worked there for 3.5 years and never came across this. It can be split into cash/cc easily, I'm assuming the system will allow what you want also unless there's a block on doing this. Otherwise, not a problem.

This company are a nightmare to work for. They treat their staff like ****. This is why there's such a high amount of unfriendly staff there, they're not trained in customer service at all and they're having a miserable time. Contrast this to companies like M&S and Boots, they treat their staff well, train them well, and consequently have stores staffed with friendly, helpful people. You get back what you put in, and this is the company's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

It can probably be done. I worked there for 3.5 years and never came across this. It can be split into cash/cc easily, I'm assuming the system will allow what you want also unless there's a block on doing this. Otherwise, not a problem.

This company are a nightmare to work for. They treat their staff like ****. This is why there's such a high amount of unfriendly staff there, they're not trained in customer service at all and they're having a miserable time. Contrast this to companies like M&S and Boots, they treat their staff well, train them well, and consequently have stores staffed with friendly, helpful people. You get back what you put in, and this is the company's fault.

to be fair though it would annoy you when people want to pay using two cards,
    I cant imagine it being easy to process two cards for one payment, cash and card yes but two cards might be a lil more awkward. too much holding up of the queue, although going to get cash while leaving people standing there is a bit horrid aswell.

Speaking of dunnes, 10 -15bloody minutes waiting in the queue(while having to endure couple fondling each other..yes i realise not cashiers fault), i worked as a cashier, it doesnt take that bloody long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

I have no connection with Amazon. This happened a while back but am a bit lazy when it comes to typing more than few lines.

Ordered new mobile phone and 1 paperback on 29th Dec 2012 (the phone, Nokia N8 was special offer £200 ) Delivery took a bit longer than normal, New Year was there.

Package arrived book there but phone missing. Went to Amazon website, and there is facility there to enter your phone number and have them call u back. Did this, Tuesday at 7 P.M. and had call back within 15 minutes. Was told as the phone was sold out they would refund me. The money was on my account 2 days later, Thursday morning.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Tesco Wilton Branch Cork at it again today - offer is for leeks 39p per stick then when charged it came to £1.07 per stick (calculated at per kilo rate). Got refund of the difference but no dialogue with I/C - not even a Good Morning or an apology for my inconvenience.
    Cant believe that a retailer the size of Tesco do not train or employ people with a modicum of customer relations or do they purposely put ogres in their refund desk to scare people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I posted here a few weeks ago about Dunnes Kilnamanagh and sfter a couple of phone calls from them they apologised and gave me a €20 gift card. I saw the same supervisor there roday. I think she recognised me but said nothing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

Was in a Dublin post office yesterday which was quite busy. I was under a bit of pressure myself as I had to get acroos the city for a meeting but had a three large envelopes to stamp and get out.
    When my turn came the chap behind me asked if he could go before he as he was in a rush to put money on a horse.
    I was kind of caught on the hop and left he go.
    Incidently he was in the post office to collect his social welfare benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Guesswhooxxx

cmcdon wrote: »
    Airtricity customer service are crap.
    having loads of problems with them
    Can never speak to a manager or complains dept
    been waiting since Monday for them to call me back
    called them again to day and was left on hold for 10 mins had to hang up and go back to work

Anyone else had problem with Airtricity customer services

So your taking your problem out on the customer service?? thats not very fair now is it you WILL GET NO WHERE shouting and screaming at them believe me I know what ever your issue is its not the CS agents fault if you are calm and nice with them they will help you other wise they will fob you off fact

Just a bit of advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Was in a Dublin post office yesterday which was quite busy. I was under a bit of pressure myself as I had to get acroos the city for a meeting but had a three large envelopes to stamp and get out.
    When my turn came the chap behind me asked if he could go before he as he was in a rush to put money on a horse.
    I was kind of caught on the hop and left he go.
    Incidently he was in the post office to collect his social welfare benefit.

How is that bad customer service? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So your taking your problem out on the customer service?? thats not very fair now is it you WILL GET NO WHERE shouting and screaming at them believe me I know what ever your issue is its not the CS agents fault if you are calm and nice with them they will help you other wise they will fob you off fact

Just a bit of advice

Good advice in theory but some so called customer centres would make anyone lose their temper. Unless you are personally rude a customer service agent should take personal responsibility to sort out your problem & never fob you off. These companies make it impossible for you to contact anyone else so the CS rep is made to take the flak.

By the way the use of capital letters is considered shouting !

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

You just have to read how Meteor have treated me.

And I have been calm and reasonable at all times :)

Can we try to get the views up to 1000, and cam everyone who can, comment on meteor then maybe they will do something.

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/HTC/Need-phone-fixed-asap/td-p/22465

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

You just have to read how Meteor have treated me.

And I have been calm and reasonable at all times :)

Can we try to get the views up to 1000, and cam everyone who can, comment on meteor then maybe they will do something.

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/HTC/Need-phone-fixed-asap/td-p/22465

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

how long have you had the phone? If less than 28 days, rings the sales line you called to buy it and ask for a rma.

edit sorry I see you have had it with 4 months... you can send it away to be fixed directly, get the store to give you the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Runaway34

Best would be a few....Elverys in Arnotts always fantastic and consistent, Homebase in santry again polite and helpfully and the 2 worst offenders IMO are sky and eMobile........they don't listen.....they don't care....there rude....this could go on and on and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 pleasereadme

Hello All
    I am a meteor customer with 15 Months left with my contract. I have a big problem with them.

They tell you in the shop (meteor swords in Pavilions) when you are buying the phone and signing the contract if you have any problem call in and we will sort it (Lies).I have gone into the shop spoke to staff and manager (Answer: can’t do anything for you need to talk to customer care.).

So next step Customer care .HA HA .Rang customer care (Answer: can’t do anything for you need to talk to shop).Told them was onto shop and they sent me to you is there any one above store Manager (Meteor shop in Pavilions) told no. Any Meteor staff I have spoken to say sorry no not me .Yet no one in Meteor cares .They have you locked into a contract and don’t care .

This letter is to warn all don’t sign up to a Meteor contract .I have spoken to other people on forums who have the same problem with Meteor (NO CUSTOMER CARE).THEY JUST DON’T CARE. All I can say is don’t buy Meteor. Please share this any where you can and warn people. Thanks’ for reading this.

Unhappy Meteor customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hello All
    I am a meteor customer with 15 Months left with my contract. I have a big problem with them.

They tell you in the shop (meteor swords in Pavilions) when you are buying the phone and signing the contract if you have any problem call in and we will sort it (Lies).I have gone into the shop spoke to staff and manager (Answer: can’t do anything for you need to talk to customer care.).

So next step Customer care .HA HA .Rang customer care (Answer: can’t do anything for you need to talk to shop).Told them was onto shop and they sent me to you is there any one above store Manager (Meteor shop in Pavilions) told no. Any Meteor staff I have spoken to say sorry no not me .Yet no one in Meteor cares .They have you locked into a contract and don’t care .

This letter is to warn all don’t sign up to a Meteor contract .I have spoken to other people on forums who have the same problem with Meteor (NO CUSTOMER CARE).THEY JUST DON’T CARE. All I can say is don’t buy Meteor. Please share this any where you can and warn people. Thanks’ for reading this.

Unhappy Meteor customer.

You haven't explained what problem you have at all, but it just sounds as if you didn't get your own way and are having a rant about it. Either that or your problem is something that can be solved with a little bit of RTFM.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

DarkJager wrote: »
    You haven't explained what problem you have at all, but it just sounds as if you didn't get your own way and are having a rant about it. Either that or your problem is something that can be solved with a little bit of RTFM.

Yeah, I thought the same but the poster started a thread with the same rant here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77605444, the problem is sorta detailed throughout the thread....not at all clear though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Runaway34 wrote: »
    Elverys in Arnotts always fantastic and consistent...

This seems to be consistent within the Elverys chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I was in Coast in Arnotts last week and, lucky me, had to deal with THE rudest person I have ever met in my entire life.

I went into exchange a dress and she just stood there, said she wouldn't exchange it because it was over 14 days for the return/exchange of sale items. Fair enough. Grand.

I pointed out that on the back of the reciept it says 28days and there was no sign saying that it was 14days for sale items and blah blah. That was when the sniggering in my face began and she just completely treated me, and talked to me like crap! I was more peed off about her attitude towards me than the actual fact that I was left with a dress that didn't fit me.

Never.Again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jscanlan22

I have been to this restuarant many times before (including afters of my own wedding, my 30th Birthday party). I was annoyed at the fact that I had booked for a christening to have finger food and there was no where for us to sit with the function room earlier. There was tea and coffee included in the pakcage which I had selected, a few people out of the 30 that were there were asked if they would like tea or coffee, I certainly was not one of them.  I was charged for 40 people but ahd confirmed that only 30 would be attending during the week.  My husband paid the next day without my knowledge.  I went back to Cloonacauneen Castle to get a refund and I was met with a Lady (the owner) who had the worst attitude I have cme across when I asked to be refunded I was told I will have to wait and I said no I would like to be refunded today.  This lady then proceeded to tell me that "you shouldn't really book finger food for the afters of a chrstening" as if I was dirt on her shoe.  I have never been so insulted in my life and I will never go back there.  Considering I am local, I was disgusted, highly offended and insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jscanlan22

I have been to this restuarant many times before (including afters of my own wedding, my 30th Birthday party). I was annoyed at the fact that I had booked for a christening to have finger food and there was no where for us to sit with the function room earlier. There was tea and coffee included in the pakcage which I had selected, a few people out of the 30 that were there were asked if they would like tea or coffee, I certainly was not one of them.  I was charged for 40 people but ahd confirmed that only 30 would be attending during the week.  My husband paid the next day without my knowledge.  I went back to Cloonacauneen Castle to get a refund and I was met with a Lady (the owner) who had the worst attitude I have cme across when I asked to be refunded I was told I will have to wait and I said no I would like to be refunded today.  This lady then proceeded to tell me that "you shouldn't really book finger food for the afters of a chrstening" as if I was dirt on her shoe.  I have never been so insulted in my life and I will never go back there.  Considering I am local, I was disgusted, highly offended and insulted.
    I WOULD AVOID THIS PLACE!!! COMPLETE DISGRACE!!!

I had my daughter's confirmation booked there for 24 people but there is no chance of me stepping foot inside the door. I left Cloonacauneen in tears!! I eventually did get a refund for the amount i was overcharged from a different lady, who was very pleasant to me.

I would like to say that the two lads serving behind the bar were great!! Very pleasant always smiling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Just off the phone to Amazon looking for service for a scratch on my Kindle screen. Fully sure that I would be paying for service as the scratch appears to have been off a button on a pair of jeans I had in the same bag, the agent was happy to overlook that (admitting that between the service charge and the international shipping fee it would have been cheaper otherwise to just buy a new one from the UK store - something we can't do here at the moment).

Should be here next week and 30 days to get onto UPS to return the old one. Delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Just off the phone to Amazon looking for service for a scratch on my Kindle screen. Fully sure that I would be paying for service as the scratch appears to have been off a button on a pair of jeans I had in the same bag, the agent was happy to overlook that (admitting that between the service charge and the international shipping fee it would have been cheaper otherwise to just buy a new one from the UK store - something we can't do here at the moment).

Should be here next week and 30 days to get onto UPS to return the old one. Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Good
    Where do you start with Eircom - firstly there's 'Mr Robot voice' , THE most annoying automated voice on the planet. To get away from 'him' to a human being you have to shout 'HELP' into the phone !!!!

When a 'Customer service agent' comes on it's not much better, the first one I got said she couldn't hear me ( with the 'Canteen chatter' background noise of her callcenter ) and hung up, the next chap sounded African and the few words I could understand basically said that I should talk to Sales as they had made the mistake. When I got on to Sales the chap sounded as if he was about to tell me to "F**K OFF" and wasn't really interested in my problem.
    (The 'problem' being that Eircom sent me an email saying my 'Eircom bill was available to view on-line' , but when I went on-line it said I owed €0, wheras I owed €100+)

It seems none of the Tel-co's really care about their customers :mad:

Advertisement