Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Update: they emailed me this afternoon to say that I will not be able to order anything else from the site until I send them an original passport or driver's license! Do they really think I am going to put my passport in the post? :confused: I think I'll cancel my account...

HAHA WTF!!!!

Littlewoods is a online shop like Amazon or somthing, isnt it?
    Why are they asking for a passport for your date of birth? They are not a Govt Dept., even then in depts (one in which I work), we take PHOTOCOPIES of passports, nver the original:cool:

Delete your account with them:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

HAHA WTF!!!!

Littlewoods is a online shop like Amazon or somthing, isnt it?
    Why are they asking for a passport for your date of birth? They are not a Govt Dept., even then in depts (one in which I work), we take PHOTOCOPIES of passports, nver the original:cool:

Delete your account with them:pac:

Exactly. If Amazon or somewhere asked me to post my passport I'd assume it was a fraudulent email...

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Worst has to be Sky.

Payment was due on the 1st of the mnth which was a Sunday so assumed it'd be taken out of the bank on the friday or the monday as normal. Monday comes and no payment taken out of the account instead the first i knew of it was when my Sky went off. Phoned them to be told dd was cancelled 3wks beforehand by me :eek: Er no i didn't checked with the bank who said it was still active. Phoned Sky back and told them who insisted i must have done it, never mind just reactivate it then please. Ok thats done but now you need to make the payment before we can turn your Sky back on as i pay for card transactions i thought this was very unfair.

I checked on their website and it clearly says "if your payment is SUBSTANTIALLY overdue services may be suspended" 1 day not even 1 working day in Sky world is considered substantially overdue :mad::mad:

Best has to be Trim Castle Hotel and in particular our breakfast server Linda, who even at 7am had a smile and friendly conversation ready but never seemed to intrude whilst serving us. The hotel is nice and clean, being in a nice location overlooking the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

*Warning long read ahead*

I have had an account with PTSB for many years, it had gone dormant as it was not being used for ages. Recently started a new job and reactivated the account. The proof of address I used was quite old as all the utilities are in my partners name.

Anyway they reactivated my account and sent me a new card etc. I got my first paycheck from my new job and used the card to withdraw no problems. Then I get a call from a girl at the branch saying that I will have to provide more up to date proof of address or my account will be suspended. I explained the situation with the utilities and asked her to send me a statement to use (apparently the fact that I had recieved and begun using the new ATM card and PIN sent to this address was not good enough).

So I was waiting for this statement to arrive (several weeks) when I got a really snotty call from the branch manager saying that my account would be suspended as I "refused" to provide documents (which I hadn't received). She asked if I was actually using the account and I said that I was due to be paid this week, she said that it would be suspended before then if I continued to "refuse" to provide these documents.

I got together a policy from my mobile phone insurance, a letter from the ESB and social welfare and went down. I was assured that everything was ok (on Tuesday). Today I checked my balance online and saw my paycheck was in (wayhey!!).

Went to use the card and was told that I was unauthorised to make a transaction. Tried to use their "emergency cash" feature where you can withdraw €100 without a card, was declined. Their customer service is all shut down for the long weekend, the only people I can reach are the lost/stolen card line and they can't help at all other than to confirm that there is a restriction and that they "have never seen it before". I can't transfer money to another account, can't do anything. I'm hungry and stuck in all weekend now.

There is one branch open between 10 and 2 tomorrow in Tyrrelstown (nowhere near me, no money to get there) and it's not even guaranteed that they can do anything. To make it worse I lost my passport last week so that will cause problems. I may have to wait to go to my own branch on Tuesday. Will be withdrawing everything and just using my BOI account in future.

The worst part is that the snotty manager threatened to do this, then mentioned nothing of a restriction when I was in branch Tuesday and told me that everything was sorted. This is unacceptable to hold my money ransom, we need to live. Can't borrow off anybody, I'm just screwed. Simple as.

Lucky I have a few days to calm down before I see her... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^ start writing your letter to the branch entitled: 'formal complaint'

something like this happened to me with AIB in 1999 I was stuck in Limerick for the weekend with no money. I was given £50 and free banking... until they brought in free banking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    *Warning long read ahead*

I have had an account with PTSB for many years, it had gone dormant as it was not being used for ages. Recently started a new job and reactivated the account. The proof of address I used was quite old as all the utilities are in my partners name.

Anyway they reactivated my account and sent me a new card etc. I got my first paycheck from my new job and used the card to withdraw no problems. Then I get a call from a girl at the branch saying that I will have to provide more up to date proof of address or my account will be suspended. I explained the situation with the utilities and asked her to send me a statement to use (apparently the fact that I had recieved and begun using the new ATM card and PIN sent to this address was not good enough).

So I was waiting for this statement to arrive (several weeks) when I got a really snotty call from the branch manager saying that my account would be suspended as I "refused" to provide documents (which I hadn't received). She asked if I was actually using the account and I said that I was due to be paid this week, she said that it would be suspended before then if I continued to "refuse" to provide these documents.

I got together a policy from my mobile phone insurance, a letter from the ESB and social welfare and went down. I was assured that everything was ok (on Tuesday). Today I checked my balance online and saw my paycheck was in (wayhey!!).

Went to use the card and was told that I was unauthorised to make a transaction. Tried to use their "emergency cash" feature where you can withdraw €100 without a card, was declined. Their customer service is all shut down for the long weekend, the only people I can reach are the lost/stolen card line and they can't help at all other than to confirm that there is a restriction and that they "have never seen it before". I can't transfer money to another account, can't do anything. I'm hungry and stuck in all weekend now.

There is one branch open between 10 and 2 tomorrow in Tyrrelstown (nowhere near me, no money to get there) and it's not even guaranteed that they can do anything. To make it worse I lost my passport last week so that will cause problems. I may have to wait to go to my own branch on Tuesday. Will be withdrawing everything and just using my BOI account in future.

The worst part is that the snotty manager threatened to do this, then mentioned nothing of a restriction when I was in branch Tuesday and told me that everything was sorted. This is unacceptable to hold my money ransom, we need to live. Can't borrow off anybody, I'm just screwed. Simple as.

Lucky I have a few days to calm down before I see her... :(

Is there anyone you can go to at all to help you out, your family?

That's awful-hopefully you have some food in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raqsierra

I completelly understand your problem and hope that it was solved eventually. I had the mispleasure (HORROR) of travelling with Turkish Hell Airlines from Sao Paulo to Seoul with a layover in Istambul. upon entering the planes the first thing I noticed was the discusting smell. The seats are black with dirt, filthy!! There was turbulence the entire way (28 hours!) even though it was clear outside and, most irritating of all, the entire steward staff are the rudest bunch of people I have ever met in my life. Some don~t even speak English. More about the staff... one can see their horrible attitude clearly when booking a flight with their call center in Turkey and again at their airport counters. From the Brazilian ticket Agents at their main office at Av. Paulista in Sao Paulo (I visited that office prior to my flight to pay for my flight, as the phone operator just kept hanging up the phone on me without taking my payment) to the Flight Chief (Mr Han) at the Incheon South Korea Airport (the rude man whose cell phone I finnally after they lost my bags in Istambul), the entire experience is one for a horror movie script. Furthermore, all their flights delayed and the 200 dollars we saved on the ticket was NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES. I highly recomend flying with anyone but them. My flight was almost 10 days ago and my bags still have not been found. Nothing has been done to clear the situation. Even if I fly to Turkey I will NEVER take this airline again.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

raqsierra wrote: »
    I completelly understand your problem and hope that it was solved eventually. I had the mispleasure (HORROR) of travelling with Turkish Hell Airlines from Sao Paulo to Seoul with a layover in Istambul. upon entering the planes the first thing I noticed was the discusting smell. The seats are black with dirt, filthy!! There was turbulence the entire way (28 hours!) even though it was clear outside and, most irritating of all, the entire steward staff are the rudest bunch of people I have ever met in my life. Some don~t even speak English. More about the staff... one can see their horrible attitude clearly when booking a flight with their call center in Turkey and again at their airport counters. From the Brazilian ticket Agents at their main office at Av. Paulista in Sao Paulo (I visited that office prior to my flight to pay for my flight, as the phone operator just kept hanging up the phone on me without taking my payment) to the Flight Chief (Mr Han) at the Incheon South Korea Airport (the rude man whose cell phone I finnally after they lost my bags in Istambul), the entire experience is one for a horror movie script. Furthermore, all their flights delayed and the 200 dollars we saved on the ticket was NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES. I highly recomend flying with anyone but them. My flight was almost 10 days ago and my bags still have not been found. Nothing has been done to clear the situation. Even if I fly to Turkey I will NEVER take this airline again.

Clearly lots of issues there, but.... somehow I doubt their ability or willingness to create turbulence especially for you. Clear weather doesn't equal no turbulence.

Also, what gives you the right to expect the stewards to speak English on a flight from Brazil to Korea via Turkey operated by a Turkish airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

piperh wrote: »
    Worst has to be Sky.

Payment was due on the 1st of the mnth which was a Sunday so assumed it'd be taken out of the bank on the friday or the monday as normal. Monday comes and no payment taken out of the account instead the first i knew of it was when my Sky went off. Phoned them to be told dd was cancelled 3wks beforehand by me :eek: Er no i didn't checked with the bank who said it was still active. Phoned Sky back and told them who insisted i must have done it, never mind just reactivate it then please. Ok thats done but now you need to make the payment before we can turn your Sky back on as i pay for card transactions i thought this was very unfair.

I checked on their website and it clearly says "if your payment is SUBSTANTIALLY overdue services may be suspended" 1 day not even 1 working day in Sky world is considered substantially overdue :mad::mad:

Feel its only fair to say this issue was sorted out after a phone call from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaswoman

I have to say, PC World in Naas have been life savers for me twice with laptop problems. I needed a keyboard replaced - I did have to buy it online and return with it but it only cost 20 euro to have it fitted (and well tested) on the spot. Technicians were very accomodating and friendly, I'd highly recommend if you have PC issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Great experience recently with the Vax UK customer service call centre. Called up for spares for the Vax, and as their card payment system was down they sent me the parts free of charge, including postage. Had them within 5 days. Fantastic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mightycraic

H. Taggart Machinery, Clonard, Co. Meath

Offered to machine the diameter of the ends of several nylon poles in a lathe and quoted the lad that took them €100. Upon collection, the price went up to €200, plus VAT and would only take cash. When I called to complain about the 100% uplift I was told that he didn't need my business.

Avoid this crook.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Had a terrific experience with Logitech over my Harmony One remote.

I've had it just over 2 years before the screen failed. I rang up their Irish customer support number last Tuesday to see if the repair cost would be worthwhile, or if I should just replace it. Chap on the other end asked me a few questions, establishing that a grey screen meant a hardware fault. Though the warranty (2 years, wasn't aware of that) had elapsed, he promptly arranged a replacement to be sent out via UPS, which should be arriving later today.

Can't recommend enough, very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've already got a separate thread going on this, but in case ye don't read it.
    I had to return a two year old tv to Cunniffe Electric in Galway and they were so easy and straight forward to deal with. Its the sort of service that will keep me a regular customer for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Just had one of the best customer service experiences in awhile using Amazon chat to check the status of an order I hadn't received.

Within seconds of the chat they had admitted fault and reordered the item at no extra cost etc.

I was expecting an uphill battle but it really was fantastic and the guy I was dealing with was just brilliant.

Also I wish every company had a chat facility, it's so handy for when you're in work and can't be glued to the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I forgot to take it off the bus one morning a while back.
    Contacted Bank of Ireland and was re issued a new credit card..etc.
    Thought I'd have to buy a new annual bus ticket and photo id
    So, thanks to Dublin Bus who rang my home and left a message to collect it from Dublin Bus O'Connell Street.
    Also, I did'nt have to sign any form/pay a charge when collecting = Thanks a bunch :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Three Ireland....joke of a service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just had a nightmare with Vodafone. I hate that I'm on a contract for the next while with them but as soon as its up I'm changing. Total pain to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pleasereadme

Me and my sheltered life
    I Have to say I have have no problem with any of them.
    Exept

Sky wanted 100 euro to fix sky box because i was out of contract.

O2 with them for 15 years and found them very nice to deal with (still have Brodband with them).

But Meteor are a waste of space and I just hope they are closed down when company is broken down and sold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Djawl

Eircom - I'm nearly 60 and I have never met the beat of this company I was with for 33 years. They changed terms and conditions in my contract, unknown to me, and retained charges. I am still waiting to be returned the credit in my account, even though I am sending emails - they just completely ignore me - great customer care Eircom my fiddlers.

Be very careful leaving Eircom. But I get to smile anyway, as I am saving money after changing to Smart, this includes what Eircom is keeping on me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Djawl wrote: »
    Eircom - I'm nearly 60 and I have never met the beat of this company I was with for 33 years. They changed terms and conditions in my contract, unknown to me, and retained charges. I am still waiting to be returned the credit in my account, even though I am sending emails - they just completely ignore me - great customer care Eircom my fiddlers.

Be very careful leaving Eircom. But I get to smile anyway, as I am saving money after changing to Smart, this includes what Eircom is keeping on me :)

Might be time to send them a registered letter.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You're not alone. Even Comreg has just recently found against them again:
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1235.pdf
    a. failed to ensure that its conditions and procedures for contract
    termination do not act as a disincentive to a consumer to changing
    service provider.

b. pursuant to clause 4.1 of Eircom’s contract entitled Terms and
    Conditions for Telephone Service, since 1 July 2011 (and to date)
    applied a charge to consumers outside of the minimum contract
    period, who had switched service provider and had not provided
    one month’s prior notice in writing requesting termination of the
    telephone service contract.

Might be worth contacting comreg about your issues

Might be time to send them a registered letter.
    Good luck.

Thanks Andy, but I don't think I want to waste any more money on Eircom :confused:

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You're not alone. Even Comreg has just recently found against them again:

Thanks cookie, that was very interesting and not surprising.

I had contacted Comreg and finally under Comreg instruction Eircom sent out a copy of the "insert" that changed my contract. This was a junk advert in front with small print at the back for notifying its customers of a very important change in contract. Eircom ignore all my emails to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Thanks cookie, that was very interesting and not surprising.

I had contacted Comreg and finally under Comreg instruction Eircom sent out a copy of the "insert" that changed my contract. This was a junk advert in front with small print at the back for notifying its customers of a very important change in contract. Eircom ignore all my emails to them.

That's why the registered letter is important. If it ever has to go to small claims court, you can use it as evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Just had a great customer service experience with Amazon Kindle Support.

I was involved in an RTA last Friday and my Kindle was in my bag (I drive a motorbike) so my Kindle got seriously damaged in the crash. It won't turn on and has a fair few marks on the screen. One of my friends suggested contacting Amazon to see if they would replace the Kindle.

So I e-mailed Amazon this morning and set out my story, I also wanted to know anyway if when I got a new Kindle would I still be able to access the books on my old Kindle.

Cris from Amazon just rang me and told me that for £50 they'd send me a replacement Kindle. She said I should have it by Wednesday and she'll pre-register it so when I get it all my books will be loaded up and all I'll have to do is hook it up to my wifi/3g as normal. They're also going to send me a prepaid postage slip so I can return my damaged Kindle, all I have to do is print it out, stick it on and pop it in the post.

Cris said the reason why the couldn't replace the Kindle for free is because the warranty was voided by the crash.

Really impressed. Delighted too because my Kindle will help keep boredom at bay while I'm bedridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Sky

Me: My sky box is broken. Will you send someone out with a new one?
    Her: yes, no problem. That will ne €289
    Me: Ok. I will leave it, I want to end my subscription. I will get a saorview box for a €100 and no bills.
    Her: Hang on till I put you through to cancellations
    Him: Hi sir, how can I help.
    Me: I want to cancel my subscription. I am going to get a saorview box for 100 squid and no subscription cos it costs €289 for ye to come out and put in a new box
    Him: Let me check the computer......
    Him: Now sir, sorry to have kept you waiting. wWe can come out and give you a new box for €29. Would you like to proceed?
    Me: You bet I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mombasa

The best has to be Carphone Warehouse

The worst and a lot of Company's rip me off:
    Three: My phone was stolen I didn't have insurance told me pay the 700 cancellation charge for getting out of the contract and they told me buy a prepaid one because i don't have insurance

Eircom: I know i shouldn't have paid it but they charged me wait for it 900 euro with a 150 cancellation charge and a 300 charge to pay in post office and this and that with a 110 euro bill every month im on 3gb broadband Im a web designer i kinda need the internet, NTL are not available in my area :(

Airtricity: i missed 3 payments and they are charging me 980 my bill comes in about 200 a month, I live in a two bedroom house and none my neighbours get charged this then i have the 300 cancellation charge( my direct debits are fine)

Sky:They charged me 300 cancellation charge as well. They wer ok ish at the time but they are letting me pay slowly that fee

Ntl: I got Ntl television service and the lovely installers cut my sky wires its obviously cut and they refused to believe me so i refused to pay them im still fighting that case

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mombasa wrote: »
    The best has to be Carphone Warehouse

The worst and a lot of Company's rip me off:
    Three: My phone was stolen I didn't have insurance told me pay the 700 cancellation charge for getting out of the contract and they told me buy a prepaid one because i don't have insurance

Eircom: I know i shouldn't have paid it but they charged me wait for it 900 euro with a 150 cancellation charge and a 300 charge to pay in post office and this and that with a 110 euro bill every month im on 3gb broadband Im a web designer i kinda need the internet, NTL are not available in my area :(

Airtricity: i missed 3 payments and they are charging me 980 my bill comes in about 200 a month, I live in a two bedroom house and none my neighbours get charged this then i have the 300 cancellation charge( my direct debits are fine)

Sky:They charged me 300 cancellation charge as well. They wer ok ish at the time but they are letting me pay slowly that fee

Ntl: I got Ntl television service and the lovely installers cut my sky wires its obviously cut and they refused to believe me so i refused to pay them im still fighting that case

You don't give us all the detail but it sounds like the problem here is that you keep signing up to contracts and then cancelling them before they are completely. That's not the companies fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone else ever had issues with these guys??

I was in one of their branches on Friday evening. I had originally gone up to my local shopping centre to purchase something else, but while I was there, I decided to ramble around the shops to kill a bit of time..

Anyway, I went into the Hilfiger store to take a browse around. I was there about 2 minutes max when the young shop assistant came over to me and asked if I needed any help.

I politely told her no, that I was just browsing. She went off and came back a little later and asked the same question, to which I gave the same reply. With this, she disappeared for a few minutes and came back into the store with a man(I assume he was the manager) dressed in a suit & tie. He proceeded to ask me the same questions, to which I gave the same answers.

He then said to me(wait for it):

If you're not going to purchase anything, could you please leave the shop!!!!!

I didn't get to ask the people's names before I left......I was in shock. It only hit me afterwards how badly(I think)I was treated.

Do I have a right to make an official complaint? Which avenue(s) should I go down?

Advertisement