Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

To the pregnant woman - you're not entitled to sit where you want just because you're pregnant. You have a baby growing inside you, not a disability that entitles you to whatever you want. I wouldn't rest myself on a display sofa, why should you?

Hi Danica Noisy Chimp,

I have just two points to make:

1) If I go into a store, should I not sample the wares on display to check, in the case of furniture, for example, is it comfortable. The sofa should not have been on display if people are not allowed sit on it.

2) You said in your post to that lady, "You have a baby growing inside you".
    Well, is that not a miracle and does it not warrant the greastest respect.
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

jbyrne10 wrote: »
    John

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

John

Why on earth would it?
    Is she the 1st person to get pregnant? It's the most common and natural thing in the world but some women think no one else has done it before them.

If you wanted to check the quality of the couch before you buy it talk to a sales associate. She clearly didn't want to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Sometimes display models are not put together properly and it may be a health and safety matter if you were asked to get up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The Indian woman in the 3 call centre who insisted to me that 0.3mbps is an excellent broadband speed, even though I was paying for 6mb..... She shut up fairly lively when I suggested that she run the speedtest on her own connection and tell me what her speed was :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hi shanna83,

I have just two points to make:

1) If I go into a store, should I not sample the wares on display to check, in the case of furniture, for example, is it comfortable. The sofa should not have been on display if people are not allowed sit on it.

John

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

John
    Baby boom: Irish birth numbers at 118 year high – CSO
    MORE children were born in 2009 than in any year since 1891, a report has revealed.

There were 75,554 births in Ireland: the highest number recorded since 118 years ago when 76,877 children were born.
    Figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) show 2009 was the fourth year in a row of annual birth-rate rises.
    The number of births rose 0.5pc from 2008, up 40.1pc (21,630) from 10 years ago.

The CSO Report on Vital Statistics also finds that Ireland had the highest fertility rate of the 27 European Union states in that year: 2.1 children per woman compared with the lowest, Latvia, at 1.31 children per woman.

Ireland - The isle of little Miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

i have to follow up at least 2-3 times on every claim I make with Aviva and I must say their customer service is probably the worst i've received to date

NO!

Is it no, its not a miracle or is it no that the pregnant girl does not warrant respect.

Either way, your answer and some of the comments in some posts in this thread is telling me how much the attitudes have in this country of ours changed over the years.

VERY WORRYING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

HDMovieSource.com - ordered a region free BluRay off them for thirty euros. Never arrived, told me I had to wait THREE MONTHS to say it didn't arrive.

Then after that, gave me half a refund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

HDMovieSource.com - ordered a region free BluRay off them for thirty euros. Never arrived, told me I had to wait THREE MONTHS to say it didn't arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Is it no, its not a miracle or is it no that the pregnant girl does not warrant respect.

Either way, your answer and some of the comments in some posts in this thread is telling me how much the attitudes have in this country of ours changed over the years.

VERY WORRYING.

"Do you see this place here boy?"
    "Yes Grandpa, sigh"
    "I remember when this was all fields!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sam Mac wrote: »

anything like that happens again do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not often we come across good service but I thought I would post my experience in relation to a Samsung 40" LED (UE40D6100) we got for a relation.

Purchased in Power City Dublin and brought down to the relation in Dungarvan.

After a few days a thin purple line appeared down the middle of the screen which was quite obvious. While I know the retailer is technically responsible for returns I checked the Samsung website and rang an Irish number - they took the serial number, the address in Dungarvan and arranged for their nearest service agent in Cork to come up to collect the TV 2 days later.

Screen was fixed and returned to Dungarvan 3 days after that. Agent even re-hooked up the tv for my elderly relation.

All in all (while I'm disappointed the screen was dodgy in the first place) a good experience with Samsung warranty. And was a lot easier than bringing the tv back up to Dublin to Power City.

After a few days a thin purple line appeared down the middle of the screen which was quite obvious. While I know the retailer is technically responsible for returns I checked the Samsung website and rang an Irish number - they took the serial number, the address in Dungarvan and arranged for their nearest service agent in Cork to come up to collect the TV 2 days later.

Screen was fixed and returned to Dungarvan 3 days after that. Agent even re-hooked up the tv for my elderly relation.

All in all (while I'm disappointed the screen was dodgy in the first place) a good experience with Samsung warranty. And was a lot easier than bringing the tv back up to Dublin to Power City.
    Few day old telly, I'd want a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You might want one, but you would not be entitled to one. A proper repair is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

You might want one, but you would not be entitled to one. A proper repair is good enough.

Power city have a 28 day money back guarantee, so you would be entitled to a new one.

You might want one, but you would not be entitled to one.
    Yes I would. It has a faulty screen.
    A proper repair is good enough.
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

actually it was over a month now that I think about it - it was a "few days" after I had visited again a few weeks later!

Like yourself if it was only a few days I would have prob insisted on a new one. Having said that, getting it collected, fixed and returned was the easiest option.

Why on earth would it?
    Is she the 1st person to get pregnant? It's the most common and natural thing in the world but some women think no one else has done it before them.

Hi CaliforniaDream,
    In Ireland today, 1 in 6 couples are infertile, 1 in 4 pregnancies ends in miscarriage, 1 baby in 17 is malformed and 1 baby in 4 has learning difficulties (www.foresight-preconception.org.uk & www.nisig.ie) and those statistics are based on those couples who look for help. Reports of increased numbers of babies being born in Ireland in recent years may seem to challenge this, but proportionally, more men and women than ever before are struggling to have children.

No its not the most common and natural thing for a lot of unfortunate women. With all due respect to you, would you please just think about what you're going to say unless you know exactly what you are talking about. And the same goes for a few posters on this thread.
    Kind Regards,
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Good
    some of the comments in some posts in this thread is telling me how much the attitudes have in this country of ours changed over the years.

VERY WORRYING.

At least your sentence construction remains resolutely Victorian. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

jbyrne10 Please stop the pregnancy argument. This is the Consumer Issues forum, not Humanities. This is not the forum for such discussion.

_AVALANCHE_ In this case, the consumer is not automatically entitled to a new television. They are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement, which is to be decided between the retailer and consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I bought some kids vitamins there on the 3-for-2 offer a few weeks ago, but ended up getting the wrong ones (totally my fault, a combination of similar packaging and my being in a rush at lunchtime).

When I got home, and opened one of the packets, only then did I realise my mistake. The kids wouldn't eat the ones I bought (bear-shaped calcium supplements instead of gummy bears with multivitamins (and to be honest, I tried one and didn't rate the taste much).

I took them back the next day, hoping at best for a partial refund of the unopened boxes. Not only did they give me three boxes of the ones I meant to buy, they took back the old boxes (and they had to destroy them all, even the unopened ones) and refunded me the difference (the calcium ones were slightly dearer).

Excellent customer service, even if this particular customer was feckin' eejit, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Toner Electronics in Waterford - not the best or the worst experience.

We bought a Panasonic home entertainment system in there for nearly €500. We spent about 15 minutes in the shop telling the salesperson (I think it was the owner's wife) about what we were after, what we would be using it for and she was full of promises that it would work. Got it home and couldn't get our PC or our TV to go through the system - we tried everything and it just wouldn't work. Went back into the shop and a different person (possibly the owner) said that the PC wouldn't work through the system (we were told the day before that everything would work through it) but that they didn't know why the TV wouldn't work. We figured the system was probably faulty so we brought the Panasonic system back and fair enough to them there was no hassle.

It took 3 days to get the Panasonic system replaced so today my boyfriend went in to get a different amp and speakers. Really good system, delighted with it, boyfriend got home and started connecting it up and lo and behold there was no wires with the speakers to connect them. He rang the shop and they said they "forgot" to give him the wires and would he come back in to get them. So he drove in again and finally a week later we finally have our new amp and speakers.

In fairness, not the worst experience ever but just takes the shine off something new when you have to jump through hoops like that. We were in the shop 5 times in the space of a week. Just think shops should have people giving a sales pitch that actually know what they're talking about and should ensure that when the customer is leaving the shop that they have the final product including all the necessary connections and cables.

Eircom (surprise surprise!) - anybody having bother with any telecoms provider, I strongly advise you to get Comreg involved. It's so funny how quickly things seem to have a way of working themselves out and how much more helpful (read: civil) Eircom are when you involve Comreg.

No way will I ever in my life deal with Eircom again. I would rather not have broadband/landline than deal with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Toner Electronics in Waterford - not the best or the worst experience.

We bought a Panasonic home entertainment system in there for nearly €500. We spent about 15 minutes in the shop telling the salesperson (I think it was the owner's wife) about what we were after, what we would be using it for and she was full of promises that it would work. Got it home and couldn't get our PC or our TV to go through the system - we tried everything and it just wouldn't work. Went back into the shop and a different person (possibly the owner) said that the PC wouldn't work through the system (we were told the day before that everything would work through it) but that they didn't know why the TV wouldn't work. We figured the system was probably faulty so we brought the Panasonic system back and fair enough to them there was no hassle.

It took 3 days to get the Panasonic system replaced so today my boyfriend went in to get a different amp and speakers. Really good system, delighted with it, boyfriend got home and started connecting it up and lo and behold there was no wires with the speakers to connect them. He rang the shop and they said they "forgot" to give him the wires and would he come back in to get them. So he drove in again and finally a week later we finally have our new amp and speakers.

In fairness, not the worst experience ever but just takes the shine off something new when you have to jump through hoops like that. We were in the shop 5 times in the space of a week. Just think shops should have people giving a sales pitch that actually know what they're talking about and should ensure that when the customer is leaving the shop that they have the final product including all the necessary connections and cables.
    i really don't see the problem here .:confused:

almanu wrote: »
    i really don't see the problem here .:confused:

So you'd have no problem being missold a product and having to trek in and out of a shop multiple times to sort the issue and then an electrical shop "forgets" to include cables to connect up your speakers and you have to go in again? Fair play, you've more patience than I.

So you'd have no problem being missold a product and having to trek in and out of a shop multiple times to sort the issue and then an electrical shop "forgets" to include cables to connect up your speakers and you have to go in again? Fair play, you've more patience than I.

Faulty good's is hardly the retailer's fault , as for the cable's they admitted they made a mistake . people are human . as for trekking in & out of shop to get issue sorted i'm sure they had a phone . :confused:

as i said i really don't see the problem , sorry maybe it's just me but people seem to blame and point finger's just because they had a bad time .

almanu wrote: »
    Faulty good's is hardly the retailer's fault , as for the cable's they admitted they made a mistake . people are human . as for trekking in & out of shop to get issue sorted i'm sure they had a phone . :confused:

as i said i really don't see the problem , sorry maybe it's just me but people seem to blame and point finger's just because they had a bad time .

We were sold a system that we were told would work with our PC, when we went back to the shop we were then told that in fact it wasn't possible for that particular system to work with our PC - therefore they missold us a product. It seems fairly reasonable to expect a salesperson to know their product.

And in relation to trekking in and out of the shop, we had to bring back the faulty item, we then were told to come back in on a certain day and when we went in they did not have the replacement item but didn't bother ringing us to let us know.

I'm not blaming and pointing the finger because I had "a bad time", they missold us a product and then they sold us another product without making sure they had included all of the necessary accessories and we had to make another trip into the shop.

• Advertisement

We were sold a system that we were told would work with our PC, when we went back to the shop we were then told that in fact it wasn't possible for that particular system to work with our PC - therefore they missold us a product. It seems fairly reasonable to expect a salesperson to know their product.

And in relation to trekking in and out of the shop, we had to bring back the faulty item, we then were told to come back in on a certain day and when we went in they did not have the replacement item but didn't bother ringing us to let us know.

I'm not blaming and pointing the finger because I had "a bad time", they missold us a product and then they sold us another product without making sure they had included all of the necessary accessories and we had to make another trip into the shop.

I guess there is a lot to be said for researching a product that you are about to spend e500 , personally i would have checked brands , prices & inputs and outputs to make sure it was suited to my needs , but that's just me .

also i very rarely listen to staff as they have not got a notion of what is going on in the electronics world in the small chains . Pete's and D.I.D excluded as they are very good.

But even with them they want the sell , they get commission so your actual needs take a back seat . its much easier to deal with these when you see it like this.

i will give you an example . Cost Sofa *almost sure that's there name* on the longmile road tried to sell my wife a fake leather suit as a genuine leather suit .when i stormed in to confront the sales guy he tried to say he said fake leather. my wife is not stupid she heard what he said .just another story of rip-off Ireland . anyway i was refunded on the spot. just another example and i could go on all day with these stories.

anyway my advice would be to do what i said above . research and just put your hand to the sales rep's mouth and say SILENCE :pac:
    works for me .

Advertisement