Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

almanu wrote: »
    I guess there is a lot to be said for researching a product that you are about to spend e500 , personally i would have checked brands , prices & inputs and outputs to make sure it was suited to my needs , but that's just me .

also i very rarely listen to staff as they have not got a notion of what is going on in the electronics world in the small chains . Pete's and D.I.D excluded as they are very good.

But even with them they want the sell , they get commission so your actual needs take a back seat . its much easier to deal with these when you see it like this.

Good for you. Personally I expect people selling things to know what they are selling and to listen to what the customer wants, is that so ridiculous? Maybe it's just me :confused:

And you're right maybe they were just after their commission and therefore our needs did just take a back seat, in which case I would like to warn people off shopping in a shop that operates like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

if only we lived in a perfect world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Bought a present of a t-shirt off Redbubble.com. I find it difficult to pick sizes for my boyfriend but picked one and hoped for the best, but when it arrived I knew it was way too big. I sent a "refund/exchange" request form in through their website on Tuesday requesting to exchange it for a smaller size and got an email off their customer service team last night as follows:
    Hey xxx.

Thanks for confirming those important details!

We've whipped up the recipe for your new threads! When your new garments are cooked, you will receive a shipping confirmation email. You can [view the status of your order](http://www.redbubble.com/orders) using order number xxx.

What should you do with a not-so-great-fitting tee?

There's no need to return it to us - you can wear it at the gym, while washing the car, recycle it into awesome 80s-style headbands, or find a charitable home for it.

Kind regards,

Thomas
    RB Support

I was very pleasantly surprised at this. The t-shirt cost me about €26 including packaging, and it comes from the US so definitely didn't think I'd get another one free of charge! Very happy with them, would highly recommend them, very quick shipping too and a good selection of geeky/TV show t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I was very pleasantly surprised at this. The t-shirt cost me about €26 including packaging, and it comes from the US so definitely didn't think I'd get another one free of charge! Very happy with them, would highly recommend them, very quick shipping too and a good selection of geeky/TV show t-shirts.
    Sounds like we now have a method of getting matching his'n'hers T-shirts for the price of one!

Bought a present of a t-shirt off Redbubble.com. I find it difficult to pick sizes for my boyfriend but picked one and hoped for the best, but when it arrived I knew it was way too big. I sent a "refund/exchange" request form in through their website on Tuesday requesting to exchange it for a smaller size and got an email off their customer service team last night as follows:

I don't need a t-shirt at the moment , but when i do i'm buying from these guys ,:pac: Thanks op;)

(edit) Anytime i'm buying from the states i buy a large (i'm an xxl in EU sizes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Had never heard of them, but I've just ordered two shirts from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Not a rant just a bit of a strange one.
    Applied for a loan with Bank of Ireland. Got the loan but they needed me to change my account type from Student to Current account.
    I said "Okay but is it fine to do that if I'm still studying?"
    Her "Oh, we didn't realise you're still a student. In that case we can't go ahead with this loan. You will need to go to your branch"

Next day I go to the branch and they tell me to call the loan phone number again and tell them I want the loan but am a student and see what they can do.
    Call up give the story and am told "Since you were already declined a loan with us there is nothing we can do, you will have to go through the branch"
    I tell them that I was accepted but had to cancel the personal loan and make a new loan because they didn't know I'm a student. What other types of loan are there?
    She replies "We're not financial advisors, I can't discuss other loan options with you. You have to go to the branch".

I think she didn't know what loans they can do!

EDIT: Called again and asked what loans they offer. Got the same person and she said I need to speak to a financial advisor. I asked what loans do you provide? I can't tell you that over the phone.

What??

Not a rant just a bit of a strange one.
    Applied for a loan with Bank of Ireland. Got the loan but they needed me to change my account type from Student to Current account.
    I said "Okay but is it fine to do that if I'm still studying?"
    Her "Oh, we didn't realise you're still a student. In that case we can't go ahead with this loan. You will need to go to your branch"

Next day I go to the branch and they tell me to call the loan phone number again and tell them I want the loan but am a student and see what they can do.
    Call up give the story and am told "Since you were already declined a loan with us there is nothing we can do, you will have to go through the branch"
    I tell them that I was accepted but had to cancel the personal loan and make a new loan because they didn't know I'm a student. What other types of loan are there?
    She replies "We're not financial advisors, I can't discuss other loan options with you. You have to go to the branch".

I think she didn't know what loans they can do!
    Only reason they want you to switch from Student to a Current account is to screw you on interest . tell them to pi*s off and try get a credit union loan if at all possible . :mad:

Only reason they want you to switch from Student to a Current account is to screw you on interest . tell them to pi*s off and try get a credit union loan if at all possible . :mad:

I know. Credit union offered me a loan but they need me and my mum to come into the branch at the same time. I live 2 hours away and work most days. My mum works every week day 9-6. Also the loan is for a car so me getting to the branch is trouble enough.

I know. Credit union offered me a loan but they need me and my mum to come into the branch at the same time. I live 2 hours away and work most days. My mum works every week day 9-6. Also the loan is for a car so me getting to the branch is trouble enough.

the only thing i can suggest is write to the bank manager asking him why you need to change accounts , why its integral to you getting a loan , what are the difference in interest rates on the loan and fees and penalties ,i know a lot of hassle but it could get stuff done for you , i mean isn't it there motto "we are built on giving students loans as its our investment in the future"

• Advertisement

the only thing i can suggest is write to the bank manager asking him why you need to change accounts , why its integral to you getting a loan , what are the difference in interest rates on the loan and fees and penalties ,i know a lot of hassle but it could get stuff done for you , i mean isn't it there motto "we are built on giving students loans as its our investment in the future"

Even if I do change to a current account that loan still won't go ahead! I need to apply for another type of loan but they won't tell me what to apply for or how to go about doing that.

Even if I do change to a current account that loan still won't go ahead! I need to apply for another type of loan but they won't tell me what to apply for or how to go about doing that.

Have you tried dealing with a different member of staff , i know from my time dealing with banks and such the hiring of idiots policy is well and truly open , you could of been just really unlucky and got a few f**Ktards . a leaving cert does not mean somebody is intelligent anymore :(

Have you tried dealing with a different member of staff , i know from my time dealing with banks and such the hiring of idiots policy is well and truly open , you could of been just really unlucky and got a few f**Ktards . a leaving cert does not mean somebody is intelligent anymore :(

When I called again I got the same person! I posted on the Talk To Bank of Ireland forum to see if they can help.

When I called again I got the same person! I posted on the Talk To Bank of Ireland forum to see if they can help.

well i would expect you to get some positive results from them , i really don't feel it's integral to a loan application to switch your account to a higher interest rate , that's just plain old bad treatment of a customer they should really be taking care of .
    all my kids have CU accounts from a young age , they have never had a problem paying for their own cars, insurance or holidays . personally i bloody hate banks but i have to use them ,kids only use them for Lazer and what knot now.

anyway i really hope you get it sorted , i know it can be frustrating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Booked Kayaking with a particular group back in 2010 for €120 (pre Groupon days!)

Set a date for it, but then discovered that I couldn't make it. They were kind enough to let me reschedule. I then booked a new date which they had to change themselves - couldn't make the new date. Booked a THIRD date which I then couldn't make once again.

After all that, they were kind enough, in June 2012, two years after booking, to send me my money back less €5 administration fee.

Excellent customer service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^I'd nearly call it bad for putting up with you messing them around for so long!!

Booked Kayaking with a particular group back in 2010 for €120 (pre Groupon days!)

Set a date for it, but then discovered that I couldn't make it. They were kind enough to let me reschedule. I then booked a new date which they had to change themselves - couldn't make the new date. Booked a THIRD date which I then couldn't make once again.

After all that, they were kind enough, in June 2012, two years after booking, to send me my money back less €5 administration fee.

Excellent customer service!
    Remind me to never take a booking from you EVER :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Once got a letter from the postman to collect items from the local sorting office (won't say which one). Anyway after breaking my neck to get there (worked through lunch to be able to finish early in work at 4.00 to get to the office for 5) I pulled up at 4.50ish and the lone guy was outside with his bike and had a face on him when I got out of the car as he had to pull the shutters back up, he had obviously been seconds away from making a dash for the weekend. I thought I would break the obvious tension by saying something like 'Hi sorry for being so late', something to that effect. Stupid really as I was not late but sometimes its nice to be nice. His response had me reeling

'What the f*ck do you want?'

Genuinly shocked I was, so much so for once in my life I could not think of a single retort. Normally a smart so and so I admit but that really shocked me with such un-professionalism. I always hear stories of workers being protected by Unions etc. but it was clear that this grumpy oul fecker knew his job was safe and could treat anyone how he wanted, as long as there were no witnesses I suppose.

He next had a problem with the fact the slip the postman left in my home said there was 3 items and there were only 2 in the sorting office. No matter how many times I told him they were DVD's from www.play.com he refused to give them to me. I can see the issue if it was the other way around maybe, my slip said 2 and there were 3 items but had no idea why he would refuse me. He just kept on saying to ring back on Monday. I did that and to ensure they gave the two items to me I had decided to play nice and just get my parcels and maybe decide to complain after, as they were presents for people for Christmas. I never did as I knew nowt would come of it.

To this day, over 8 years later I am still raging over the ignorance of the guy. Some people don't believe me either when I tell them and always say 'Dave, you know how smart you are..You must have pissed him off somehow?'.

For once in my life I genuinely was the polite one :) . And to be honest I still can’t think of a good response to that, without stooping to his level.

Once got a letter from the postman to collect items from the local sorting office (won't say which one). Anyway after breaking my neck to get there (worked through lunch to be able to finish early in work at 4.00 to get to the office for 5) I pulled up at 4.50ish and the lone guy was outside with his bike and had a face on him when I got out of the car as he had to pull the shutters back up, he had obviously been seconds away from making a dash for the weekend. I thought I would break the obvious tension by saying something like 'Hi sorry for being so late', something to that effect. Stupid really as I was not late but sometimes its nice to be nice. His response had me reeling

'What the f*ck do you want?'

Genuinly shocked I was, so much so for once in my life I could not think of a single retort. Normally a smart so and so I admit but that really shocked me with such un-professionalism. I always hear stories of workers being protected by Unions etc. but it was clear that this grumpy oul fecker knew his job was safe and could treat anyone how he wanted, as long as there were no witnesses I suppose.

He next had a problem with the fact the slip the postman left in my home said there was 3 items and there were only 2 in the sorting office. No matter how many times I told him they were DVD's from www.play.com he refused to give them to me. I can see the issue if it was the other way around maybe, my slip said 2 and there were 3 items but had no idea why he would refuse me. He just kept on saying to ring back on Monday. I did that and to ensure they gave the two items to me I had decided to play nice and just get my parcels and maybe decide to complain after, as they were presents for people for Christmas. I never did as I knew nowt would come of it.

To this day, over 8 years later I am still raging over the ignorance of the guy. Some people don't believe me either when I tell them and always say 'Dave, you know how smart you are..You must have pissed him off somehow?'.

For once in my life I genuinely was the polite one :) . And to be honest I still can’t think of a good response to that, without stooping to his level.

What the f*ck do i want, oh how about a service that you are payed bl**dy too well to provide , now get that ****ty look off your face ,get the shutters up and show some dam respect to the public who you are serving before i get on to your union rep . something i would of said :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

HarryD wrote: »
    Paypal - Crap customer service. I applied for an ebay item refund under buyer protection policy and website said I was not covered. But then got an email stating I was

I used to work for them, out in Blanchardstown or wherever it was. One of the worst, most thankless jobs I've ever had. Really, spare a thought for the poor souls working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Had to call them last night, second time ever, service was again absolutely fantastic, other companies could take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Had to call them last night, second time ever, service was again absolutely fantastic, other companies could take note.

If only is was actually them and not a 3rd party service supplier that they might change at any time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Got a few calls off PTSB last week asking me to come in and discuss investment opportunities. They practically hold all of my savings and I have been meaning to invest a portion of my money so I though it would be worth a 1-1 meeting.

I sorted a meeting at the Stephens Green branch for 4:30pm and booked a few hours of work (I'm based in Sandyford). I arrived perfectly on time to find that there was apparently "No one free to meet me" despite them pestering me to meet with them!

I called the open24 support line and asked what was going on, upon which I was asked to hand my phone to the guy behind the desk. After they talked for a while I got my phone back. Apparently the meeting had been booked for a branch in Walkinstown against my explicit request for a meeting at Stephens Green and I was asked if I was free another day during the week - no I was not!

I then asked if I could just do a meeting over the phone during the week instead. The response to this was that all their rates and information are available online, and if I had any questions I could ring them. What the hell was the point of arranging a meeting at all?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

We were having bother with our Eircom broadband so we switched to Digiweb. We live in a rural area so our options are limited.

Before we switched we contacted Digiweb about their Metro broadband package. They sent out a technician to test for a signal at our house. The technician told us that trees at the front of our house were blocking the signal and suggested that we cut them down. The trees block our house from a very busy main road so it's not a decision we'd take lightly. The technician told us that someone from Digiweb would ring us later that day with our options.

We received a call about an hour later (note: before we became customers they were all about follow-up phone calls and actual customer service) telling us that they could offer us an 8mb connection. Of course we were delighted, we had a 3mb connection with Eircom. We checked with Digiweb numerous times (we were just so amazed) that we could actually get that connection on our line. We advised them exactly why we were leaving Eircom and they knew our reason for moving to them was the increased speed. We understand that Digiweb use Eircom's equipment but they told us numerous times that that did not matter and that we would receive an 8mb connection regardless. So we signed up with them. We signed up to an 8mb package (including minimal calls as we barely use our landline) at €30 for the first 3 months.

We received our router and found we were only receiving a very poor 2mb connection. We rang Digiweb, somebody was going to call us back. We waited days for that call. We rang them again, somebody was going to call us back. We waited another few days. Eventually my boyfriend rang them and actually got to speak to the relevant person who told him that our line couldn't handle 8mb. Obviously my boyfriend was pretty outraged considering what he had been promised (he left Eircom after 10+ years of pretty much faultless service aside from the 2 months before we moved). The person he spoke to said it might be possible for us to receive a 5mb connection and that he would call us back. Again, that call never came.

In the meantime we received our first bill from Digiweb, in the amount of €57.82, no mention of the promised €30 for the first 3 months.

We decided to get Comreg involved considering the lies we had been told and the poor customer service we were receiving. Comreg got involved and it then transpired that we couldn't receive any satellite broadband (despite being told we would get a signal if we cut trees down), we couldn't receive an 8mb or 5mb connection and all that Digiweb could offer us was exactly what we had been getting from Eircom. Comreg negotiated with Digiweb and Digiweb agreed that if we decided to leave our contract that they would not charge us any penalties.

We were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need broadband for work and my boyfriend needs broadband for college and due to Eircom's monopoly on rural broadband we felt stuck. My boyfriend contacted Digiweb and agreed to stick with them as long as they honoured their promise of the €30 for the first 3 months. He was told yes, that was fine and an agreement was reached. At that point my boyfriend asked that a paper bill be sent to the house so that he could pay the bill in the post office (we pay all our bills in the post office) and the person he spoke to said this was no problem and that a paper bill would be sent out.

We never received the paper bill, instead yesterday my boyfriend received a demand via e-mail from Digiweb saying that if the bill wasn't paid within 5 days our service would be cut off. We have received absolutely no other correspondence from Digiweb in relation to the bill, either by post or by e-mail, other than the original bill which we believed to be wrong so we were awaiting the correct bill reflecting the promised discount.

My boyfriend rang Digiweb and spoke to the most condescending woman on the planet. My boyfriend tried to explain the situation with her interrupting him throughout and she kept repeating over and over again, "but sir why would we have promised you a discount when you're not entitled to it?" and "sir, that just doesn't make sense, you're not entitled to a discount so we can't give you a discount just because you demand it" Over and over and over again. My boyfriend informed her of the agreement that was reached only recently, that we would stay with them if they agreed to honour their discount promise. She informed my boyfriend that "the person you spoke to obviously wasn't authorised to make such a decision." Things ended up getting very heated because this woman was using such condescending language and being so rude on the phone. My boyfriend hung up on her and rang back and got through to someone else. Again, he explained the situation and this person said that he would speak to someone in accounts and ring him back in an hour. My boyfriend got a call back at lunchtime today saying that they were not going to honour their promise of a discount but that if we wanted to cancel our contract we could do so penalty free.

Again, unfortunately, we are stuck with them because of a lack of options.

Comreg have been informed of the entire thing and have basically taken no action against Digiweb. That's Ireland, companies can lie to gain a customer, continue to lie through a contract and get away with it.

Anybody who is considering Digiweb, steer well clear. They are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

We were having bother with our Eircom broadband so we switched to Digiweb. We live in a rural area so our options are limited.

Before we switched we contacted Digiweb about their Metro broadband package. They sent out a technician to test for a signal at our house. The technician told us that trees at the front of our house were blocking the signal and suggested that we cut them down. The trees block our house from a very busy main road so it's not a decision we'd take lightly. The technician told us that someone from Digiweb would ring us later that day with our options.

We received a call about an hour later (note: before we became customers they were all about follow-up phone calls and actual customer service) telling us that they could offer us an 8mb connection. Of course we were delighted, we had a 3mb connection with Eircom. We checked with Digiweb numerous times (we were just so amazed) that we could actually get that connection on our line. We advised them exactly why we were leaving Eircom and they knew our reason for moving to them was the increased speed. We understand that Digiweb use Eircom's equipment but they told us numerous times that that did not matter and that we would receive an 8mb connection regardless. So we signed up with them. We signed up to an 8mb package (including minimal calls as we barely use our landline) at €30 for the first 3 months.

We received our router and found we were only receiving a very poor 2mb connection. We rang Digiweb, somebody was going to call us back. We waited days for that call. We rang them again, somebody was going to call us back. We waited another few days. Eventually my boyfriend rang them and actually got to speak to the relevant person who told him that our line couldn't handle 8mb. Obviously my boyfriend was pretty outraged considering what he had been promised (he left Eircom after 10+ years of pretty much faultless service aside from the 2 months before we moved). The person he spoke to said it might be possible for us to receive a 5mb connection and that he would call us back. Again, that call never came.

In the meantime we received our first bill from Digiweb, in the amount of €57.82, no mention of the promised €30 for the first 3 months.

We decided to get Comreg involved considering the lies we had been told and the poor customer service we were receiving. Comreg got involved and it then transpired that we couldn't receive any satellite broadband (despite being told we would get a signal if we cut trees down), we couldn't receive an 8mb or 5mb connection and all that Digiweb could offer us was exactly what we had been getting from Eircom. Comreg negotiated with Digiweb and Digiweb agreed that if we decided to leave our contract that they would not charge us any penalties.

We were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need broadband for work and my boyfriend needs broadband for college and due to Eircom's monopoly on rural broadband we felt stuck. My boyfriend contacted Digiweb and agreed to stick with them as long as they honoured their promise of the €30 for the first 3 months. He was told yes, that was fine and an agreement was reached. At that point my boyfriend asked that a paper bill be sent to the house so that he could pay the bill in the post office (we pay all our bills in the post office) and the person he spoke to said this was no problem and that a paper bill would be sent out.

We never received the paper bill, instead yesterday my boyfriend received a demand via e-mail from Digiweb saying that if the bill wasn't paid within 5 days our service would be cut off. We have received absolutely no other correspondence from Digiweb in relation to the bill, either by post or by e-mail, other than the original bill which we believed to be wrong so we were awaiting the correct bill reflecting the promised discount.

My boyfriend rang Digiweb and spoke to the most condescending woman on the planet. My boyfriend tried to explain the situation with her interrupting him throughout and she kept repeating over and over again, "but sir why would we have promised you a discount when you're not entitled to it?" and "sir, that just doesn't make sense, you're not entitled to a discount so we can't give you a discount just because you demand it" Over and over and over again. My boyfriend informed her of the agreement that was reached only recently, that we would stay with them if they agreed to honour their discount promise. She informed my boyfriend that "the person you spoke to obviously wasn't authorised to make such a decision." Things ended up getting very heated because this woman was using such condescending language and being so rude on the phone. My boyfriend hung up on her and rang back and got through to someone else. Again, he explained the situation and this person said that he would speak to someone in accounts and ring him back in an hour. My boyfriend got a call back at lunchtime today saying that they were not going to honour their promise of a discount but that if we wanted to cancel our contract we could do so penalty free.

Again, unfortunately, we are stuck with them because of a lack of options.

Comreg have been informed of the entire thing and have basically taken no action against Digiweb. That's Ireland, companies can lie to gain a customer, continue to lie through a contract and get away with it.

Anybody who is considering Digiweb, steer well clear. They are a joke.

Hi pixiebean22

Its an all too familier story. I know what you're talking about as I've been there too. By the way, just have a look at your statement, at the part I have in bold. Now, change companies to govt. and change customer to voter. Ya really could'nt make it up, could ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@darkhorse Please leave politics out of it.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I will. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

darkhorse wrote: »
    I will. My apologies.

I for one liked the fact that he brought up politics. But i digress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I for one liked the fact that he brought up politics. But i digress :pac:

Yes - you do digress. Please don't do it again.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I am shocked as to just how bad the service is in this shop specialising in medical equipment on sale to the public.

Rudest rudest rudest staff I have ever come across.:mad:

Advertisement