Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Funny enough, I found the same when I went in years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Bought a very cheap wireless laptop mouse from Jims Computer store there just last week for 5 euro (a special offer). They contacted me 2 days later to say there'd be a couple of days delay due to demand but offered me another (more expensive) model for the same price if I couldn't wait. I was happy to wait then today they said that it would be delayed again so they're refunding me the 5 euro and are now sending me the other mouse for absolutely nothing. What a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

We were having bother with our Eircom broadband so we switched to Digiweb. We live in a rural area so our options are limited.

Before we switched we contacted Digiweb about their Metro broadband package. They sent out a technician to test for a signal at our house. The technician told us that trees at the front of our house were blocking the signal and suggested that we cut them down. The trees block our house from a very busy main road so it's not a decision we'd take lightly. The technician told us that someone from Digiweb would ring us later that day with our options.

We received a call about an hour later (note: before we became customers they were all about follow-up phone calls and actual customer service) telling us that they could offer us an 8mb connection. Of course we were delighted, we had a 3mb connection with Eircom. We checked with Digiweb numerous times (we were just so amazed) that we could actually get that connection on our line. We advised them exactly why we were leaving Eircom and they knew our reason for moving to them was the increased speed. We understand that Digiweb use Eircom's equipment but they told us numerous times that that did not matter and that we would receive an 8mb connection regardless. So we signed up with them. We signed up to an 8mb package (including minimal calls as we barely use our landline) at €30 for the first 3 months.

We received our router and found we were only receiving a very poor 2mb connection. We rang Digiweb, somebody was going to call us back. We waited days for that call. We rang them again, somebody was going to call us back. We waited another few days. Eventually my boyfriend rang them and actually got to speak to the relevant person who told him that our line couldn't handle 8mb. Obviously my boyfriend was pretty outraged considering what he had been promised (he left Eircom after 10+ years of pretty much faultless service aside from the 2 months before we moved). The person he spoke to said it might be possible for us to receive a 5mb connection and that he would call us back. Again, that call never came.

In the meantime we received our first bill from Digiweb, in the amount of €57.82, no mention of the promised €30 for the first 3 months.

We decided to get Comreg involved considering the lies we had been told and the poor customer service we were receiving. Comreg got involved and it then transpired that we couldn't receive any satellite broadband (despite being told we would get a signal if we cut trees down), we couldn't receive an 8mb or 5mb connection and all that Digiweb could offer us was exactly what we had been getting from Eircom. Comreg negotiated with Digiweb and Digiweb agreed that if we decided to leave our contract that they would not charge us any penalties.

We were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need broadband for work and my boyfriend needs broadband for college and due to Eircom's monopoly on rural broadband we felt stuck. My boyfriend contacted Digiweb and agreed to stick with them as long as they honoured their promise of the €30 for the first 3 months. He was told yes, that was fine and an agreement was reached. At that point my boyfriend asked that a paper bill be sent to the house so that he could pay the bill in the post office (we pay all our bills in the post office) and the person he spoke to said this was no problem and that a paper bill would be sent out.

We never received the paper bill, instead yesterday my boyfriend received a demand via e-mail from Digiweb saying that if the bill wasn't paid within 5 days our service would be cut off. We have received absolutely no other correspondence from Digiweb in relation to the bill, either by post or by e-mail, other than the original bill which we believed to be wrong so we were awaiting the correct bill reflecting the promised discount.

My boyfriend rang Digiweb and spoke to the most condescending woman on the planet. My boyfriend tried to explain the situation with her interrupting him throughout and she kept repeating over and over again, "but sir why would we have promised you a discount when you're not entitled to it?" and "sir, that just doesn't make sense, you're not entitled to a discount so we can't give you a discount just because you demand it" Over and over and over again. My boyfriend informed her of the agreement that was reached only recently, that we would stay with them if they agreed to honour their discount promise. She informed my boyfriend that "the person you spoke to obviously wasn't authorised to make such a decision." Things ended up getting very heated because this woman was using such condescending language and being so rude on the phone. My boyfriend hung up on her and rang back and got through to someone else. Again, he explained the situation and this person said that he would speak to someone in accounts and ring him back in an hour. My boyfriend got a call back at lunchtime today saying that they were not going to honour their promise of a discount but that if we wanted to cancel our contract we could do so penalty free.

Again, unfortunately, we are stuck with them because of a lack of options.

Comreg have been informed of the entire thing and have basically taken no action against Digiweb. That's Ireland, companies can lie to gain a customer, continue to lie through a contract and get away with it.

Anybody who is considering Digiweb, steer well clear. They are a joke.

Just to add to this post.

My boyfriend tried to use our house phone just now - we never really use it, both have mobiles, we just keep it to keep in contact with elderly family members. So he tried to make a call and there is a dial tone but no calls could be made. He just rang Digiweb and they told him that the account was suspended :confused: because the account hadn't been paid :confused: We paid the account in full two weeks ago after speaking to them about the issues we were having with the discount we were supposed to receive and they decided to renege on.

The woman on the phone was insistent that the account hadn't been paid and our service (the phone only has been disconnected, broadband still "working") would be suspended until it was paid in full. My boyfriend explained the situation and explained that the bill had been paid. I had transferred €30 when we were under the impression that we were still getting the discount they had promised us before we became customers and when it transpired that they had lied to us I transferred the rest of the amount due €28 the following day. The woman my boyfriend spoke to was insistent that the bill needed to be paid but after some digging she found the second payment on the system :rolleyes:

I advise anyone considering them to stay well away. They are incompetent liars! If we could change providers we would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Bought a very cheap wireless laptop mouse from Jims Computer store there just last week for 5 euro (a special offer). They contacted me 2 days later to say there'd be a couple of days delay due to demand but offered me another (more expensive) model for the same price if I couldn't wait. I was happy to wait then today they said that it would be delayed again so they're refunding me the 5 euro and are now sending me the other mouse for absolutely nothing. What a service.

Hmmmmm, your signature references irishtechnews.net, safe to say you are involved?
    Funnily enough Jims Computer store is sponsoring a prize on irishtechnews.net

I'm not saying this sponsorship and your glowing review are in any way related (god forbid) just that it would have been good if you highlighted the apparent conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hmmmmm, your signature references irishtechnews.net, safe to say you are involved?
    Funnily enough Jims Computer store is sponsoring a prize on irishtechnews.net

I'm not saying this sponsorship and your glowing review are in any way related (god forbid) just that it would have been good if you highlighted the apparent conflict of interest.

Yep we did a story on them and gave away a prize but my own experience was separate from that. In fact it's the only thing I bought from them (or not now it's free). If I wanted to be sneaky I'd like to think I'd be a little smarter then that now ;) The link to the site is very clearly in my sig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Amazon are wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smerfetka

Tesco,feckin joke I placed order online for delivery 2 days ago and didn't arrive at all.No bloody call,nothing.They didn't forget to charge my card of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

smerfetka wrote: »
    Tesco,feckin joke I placed order online for delivery 2 days ago and didn't arrive at all.No bloody call,nothing.They didn't forget to charge my card of course
    Two days ago and you have'nt called them yet?! I would have called them that day as I would most likely be waiting to get some of that shopping.Love to hear how you get on..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

My 8 year old Zyxel modem went intermittent last week and I rang Vodafone service to see about new one. I had not got one from them since I had joined. They said if I renewed a 12 month contract with them they would send one out. This was just after lunch and the new one arrived before 9 AM next morning. Very very quick service and their tech support was good as well with a follow up query.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Many years spent as either sales or customer service so ive never had any bad experiences from any service supplier coz i dont leave em off the phone till i get it sorted ....sorry folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bus eireann Irish rail and meteor in that order. for the worst.

best recently would be ulsterbus the meteor store in newbridge and carlow town council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

haymur wrote: »
    My 8 year old Zyxel modem went intermittent last week and I rang Vodafone service to see about new one. I had not got one from them since I had joined. They said if I renewed a 12 month contract with them they would send one out. This was just after lunch and the new one arrived before 9 AM next morning. Very very quick service and their tech support was good as well with a follow up query.

I had the opposite. Modem crashed and, despite having just renewed the contract, I was told that because the modem was out of warranty I'd have to pay for a new one. I just plugged back in an old one I had and everything worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smerfetka

jluv wrote: »
    Two days ago and you have'nt called them yet?! I would have called them that day as I would most likely be waiting to get some of that shopping.Love to hear how you get on..

I send an email,and called them 3 days after delivery date.It's all sorted for now,I'm waiting for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Anyone been in the Eurospar in Applewood, Swords? They have the worst queuing system I have ever seen and never seem to have enough on the tills. I've never gone in and gone straight to a till without a 5 minute wait.

They also don't seem to understand that clearing a queue is more important than whatever else you are doing. Those Dairy Milks can wait to go up on the shelves love, there are two tills not serving anyone and 15 people in the queue. Priorities.

That being said, their staff are pleasant and they seem reasonable enough price-wise relative to other similar places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Anyone been in the Eurospar in Applewood, Swords? They have the worst queuing system I have ever seen and never seem to have enough on the tills. I've never gone in and gone straight to a till without a 5 minute wait.

They also don't seem to understand that clearing a queue is more important than whatever else you are doing. Those Dairy Milks can wait to go up on the shelves love, there are two tills not serving anyone and 15 people in the queue. Priorities.

That being said, their staff are pleasant and they seem reasonable enough price-wise relative to other similar places.

They used to have converyor belts in the main part of the shop, not anymore though. It's awful, you can never just run in and grab something.

I wrote an email to Meteor last week- I spent 25mins queuing in their Pavillions branch (only 2 guys serving, taking aaages to do so) to buy a charger.

Went across to Vodafone and got served in 5mins (more staff around) and got the charger 6quid cheaper.

Meteor creditted my account 20quid:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi I just thought it would be nice to say something nice about a little shop called complete furniture in Finglas.We where on the hunt for a new mattress,fella has to have a firm materess.We tried all the usual place and was disapointed by service,delivery charge and removal.This was all included in the price(alot less then then the usual places) and no heavey handed salemans.Id rather give me few bob to a local tradespeople then a muli national and happy with the service.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

texas star wrote: »
    Hi I just thought it would be nice to say something nice about a little shop called complete furniture in Finglas.We where on the hunt for a new mattress,fella has to have a firm materess.We tried all the usual place and was disapointed by service,delivery charge and removal.This was all included in the price(alot less then then the usual places) and no heavey handed salemans.Id rather give me few bob to a local tradespeople then a muli national and happy with the service.:)

I have used this shop on a number of occasions over the years for mattresses, lamps and various other household items. I concur that the value is excellent, the sales team are great to deal with and, as you wrote, it is nice to support local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not a best or worst.......but a timely one.

I was cycling past a barber's on Amiens St yesterday and spotted an early bird deal for €14.....(normal price €18.50).

Cycled in early today to avail, arrived 8.45am......was told, verbatim, "you are too early for the Early Bird".....

Had to laugh.

Apparently it is only 9 to 11, but this part of the sign was conveniently hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

There is a Barber shop in Rathmines called Dr Ali's . it's across from the Swan Center .
    Monday to Wed he charges 6 euro as do a lot of others , but its the quality of the job he does .
    i had my eye brows and ears trimmed and i had the best haircut every time i go in .

i must stress its not the Polish one a few doors up, if you ask for a little bit off , you get your head shaved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 padgo

Oh wait till you try 3 mobile!

That's when the fun starts.

I actually think 3 don't seem to give a s**t who they hire because the customer service is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

Walker TV originally purchased April 2011 from Power City. This product was faulty and returned to the store in November 2011 when it was agreed the product could be repaired under warranty. The repaired television was returned in an awful condition I was offered replacement TV instead which I accepted. This TV also was faulty and at the beginning of 2012 I again returned to the store and the product was replaced. This third TV was faulty and returned to the store in August 2012. I refused the offer of a repair and requested a refund. I have since been advised the product has been repaired free of charge in line with Power City’s Policy, a repair which I had not agreed to in the first place. I have absolutely no faith in the model/product after the DVD player being faulty on two different sets and the power cable on another. I believe I have given this product and Power City a more than reasonable time to satisfy me that the product is fit for the purpose intended. I have been advised my request for a refund is refused and Powercity" would not offer a refund on the set unless it cannot be put right with a repair". Worst customer/ after sales service ever !!! I am of the opinion that the product/ model is defective and I have no faith in the model. I have now lodged a claim with the SCC does anyone have any experience with this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Media centre and separate external hard-drive.
    Bought from a small retailer who has subsequently gone out of business.
    Both under 2 years of age.
    Trekstore are refusing to honour the warranty on them- as they are in Germany and apparently sold the devices at a cut price to the retailer, persuant to them honoring any warranty obligations. I've been backwards and forwards to them for over a year now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

smccarrick wrote: »
    Media centre and separate external hard-drive.
    Bought from a small retailer who has subsequently gone out of business.
    Both under 2 years of age.
    Trekstore are refusing to honour the warranty on them- as they are in Germany and apparently sold the devices at a cut price to the retailer, persuant to them honoring any warranty obligations. I've been backwards and forwards to them for over a year now.........

Id the manufacturer usually offer a warranty you would have to have signed a disclaimer at the point of purchase. Were you even told that there was no manufacturer warranty?

No- just that the media centre, and hard-drives were on special offer, nothing more, nothing less. They were good value- but there was no indication whatsoever that they had no warranty.

No- just that the media centre, and hard-drives were on special offer, nothing more, nothing less. They were good value- but there was no indication whatsoever that they had no warranty.

You have waited long enough already. Go to small claims with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You have waited long enough already. Go to small claims with it.

There is no contract with trekstor, only with the small retailer who has now gone out of business so small claims would be pissing €20 away

Mactard wrote: »
    There is no contract with trekstor, only with the small retailer who has now gone out of business so small claims would be pissing €20 away

Since its an electrical good I would be surprised if there's no mention of a warranty on the packaging or user manual. That would be with the manufacturer.

Since its an electrical good I would be surprised if there's no mention of a warranty on the packaging or user manual. That would be with the manufacturer.

First off- all the packaging was in German. Secondly- I've long since tossed the packaging- I don't habitually keep packaging on the off-chance something goes wrong. So- yes, there may very well have been lots of details there- however, I don't have them......

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

First off- all the packaging was in German. Secondly- I've long since tossed the packaging- I don't habitually keep packaging on the off-chance something goes wrong. So- yes, there may very well have been lots of details there- however, I don't have them......
    Maybe read up on European Small Claims Procedure? on the Courts.ie website might be an option for you. Do you know if the product is normally covered under a warranty for the time you had it - 2 years seems long, no? Can you not locate the warranty information on the Manufacturers website?

• Advertisement

Damit wrote: »
    Maybe read up on European Small Claims Procedure? on the Courts.ie website might be an option for you. Do you know if the product is normally covered under a warranty for the time you had it - 2 years seems long, no? Can you not locate the warranty information on the Manufacturers website?

I tried that for him but nothing on the website for any of their products.

Advertisement