Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A very big thumbs up for the maternity unit in UCHG, and their special care section.

My wife went in when her waters broke in the wee hours of the morning, 5 weeks before her due date. She had an emergency C-section that evening under a general anaesthetic, and gave birth to a (thankfully) healthy baby boy, who was then brought to special care.

The care given to both of them was fantastic, from the receptionist and porter in A&E to the surgeons, doctors, nurses, cleaners and everyone else working there. They were helpful, courteous and professional all of the time.

My wife was let out after 5 days, but was able to use the parents room (a bedroom for the use of parents of babies in the special care section) in order to be there to feed our son. It made her life a lot easier than having to travel to the hospital every 3 hours, which we did try and found that we were both wrecked. Our son was released after a week.

We could not praise the people working there highly enough. It is completely the opposite to what we hear about the way that people are treated in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Congrats Fey. And it's nice to hear good things about the frontline staff in the Regional. People don't normally believe me when I say it

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fey! wrote: »
    A very big thumbs up for the maternity unit in UCHG, and their special care section.

My wife went in when her waters broke in the wee hours of the morning, 5 weeks before her due date. She had an emergency C-section that evening under a general anaesthetic, and gave birth to a (thankfully) healthy baby boy, who was then brought to special care.

The care given to both of them was fantastic, from the receptionist and porter in A&E to the surgeons, doctors, nurses, cleaners and everyone else working there. They were helpful, courteous and professional all of the time.

My wife was let out after 5 days, but was able to use the parents room (a bedroom for the use of parents of babies in the special care section) in order to be there to feed our son. It made her life a lot easier than having to travel to the hospital every 3 hours, which we did try and found that we were both wrecked. Our son was released after a week.

We could not praise the people working there highly enough. It is completely the opposite to what we hear about the way that people are treated in the hospital.

Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I forgot to mention Bella Baby in Oranmore; they were unbelievably helpful when we were trying to get 5 weeks preperation into 3 days!!!

@ thesandeman; I've generally found staff and treatment very good in the regional; from speaking to various people, I get the impression that it's management who let the front line people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Jarren wrote: »
    Big thumb down to DHL/FEDEX/UPS for trying to be persistent in overcharging me for the VAT on the delivery invoices.

Big thumb up to the revenue/customs for superb service in rectifying those ^^^ gob****es
    mistakes.
    I'm having the same problem with FEDEX at the minute. They told me that it was their mistake but the letters kept coming. I called up again and they said they want the money... gonna let that one slide I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Had order live items from a company on the south side of the city. Fastway should have them with me later in the evening. Had a missed call from what turned out the be the delivery driver. Said he left the items at number 28. So on checking across the road . No sign of items number of phone calls later the driver couldnt tell me where he given in my delivery to and his manner was less then acceptable. He was very rude to my wife. Got on the the store we bought the items from they said items are marked delivered . But that they check with the company. Got on to fastway head office talked to a very nice lady. She said she look into it and have it sorted. Fastway delivery driver had his kid drop the items off as he was to spinless to get out of the van. Jobs being the way they are . Very hard to come by . Still getting the cowboys . I know this is one driver but end of the day the company it self is selling its brand and not caring who to they just taking his cash. Il not be using any company that has fastway as a delivery services.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The company from whom you purchased the goods are the people who have the contract with Fastway, not you. Get in touch with the company and make your complaint known to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

AIB have the best customer care service over the phone. Every time I ring them with a problem they're excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I have no idea where to post this - if it is in the wrong place Mods, please move as deemed.

I have a courier business delivering office stationary around the Greater Dublin area. About 3 weeks ago, I lost a set of keys somewhere on my travels during the day. Next day I retraced my steps as much as I could but to no avail.

Yesterday I got a letter in the post from Dunnes informing me they were in possession of my keys ( I had a Dunnes, Tesco & Centra scan card attached to the keyring).

Today I got my keys back after collecting them in Dunnes in Lucan. Unfortunatly the person who handed the keys in never left a contact phone number. The Manageress in Dunnes told me someone found them on the Chapelizod by-pass and handed them in.

In case that person is reading this, I would like to say a HUGE thank You to Him/Her, and also thank Dunnes for going to the trouble to get my keys back.I would have liked to thank that person personally, but without a number, not possible. If You are reading theis, I can only say 'Thank You'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I found the keys and handed them in. No thanks necessary.

I'll pm you my paypal for the reward.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I have no idea where to post this - if it is in the wrong place Mods, please move as deemed.

I have a courier business delivering office stationary around the Greater Dublin area. About 3 weeks ago, I lost a set of keys somewhere on my travels during the day. Next day I retraced my steps as much as I could but to no avail.

Yesterday I got a letter in the post from Dunnes informing me they were in possession of my keys ( I had a Dunnes, Tesco & Centra scan card attached to the keyring).

Today I got my keys back after collecting them in Dunnes in Lucan. Unfortunatly the person who handed the keys in never left a contact phone number. The Manageress in Dunnes told me someone found them on the Chapelizod by-pass and handed them in.

In case that person is reading this, I would like to say a HUGE thank You to Him/Her, and also thank Dunnes for going to the trouble to get my keys back.I would have liked to thank that person personally, but without a number, not possible. If You are reading theis, I can only say 'Thank You'.

Great to hear someone who appreciates a good turn. I handed back a wallet stuffed with cash and didn't even get a thank you. He had at least £200 in the wallet (opened it to check for ID).

A friend of mine found a new iPhone on a night out and called "Mum" from the contacts and was accused of stealing the phone. He was so pissed off he smashed it mid conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Found an 'American sized' wallet where I worked a few years ago. It contained over 1000 in euros and dollars, a passport, flight tickets (leaving next morning) and his hotel swipe card. Rang the hotel and told them we had it. Guy arrives back a couple of hours later, says 'I believe you have my wallet?' I took it out of the safe, he grabbed it out of my hand without even a 'thank you' and marched out the door. Would put you off caring in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Found an 'American sized' wallet where I worked a few years ago. It contained over 1000 in euros and dollars, a passport, flight tickets (leaving next morning) and his hotel swipe card. Rang the hotel and told them we had it. Guy arrives back a couple of hours later, says 'I believe you have my wallet?' I took it out of the safe, he grabbed it out of my hand without even a 'thank you' and marched out the door. Would put you off caring in future.

What a w*nker - I don't know if this is any consolation but the other side. A friend of mine found a wallet in Oxford - Loads of cash, some funky looking ID, Amex cards credit cards the lot. Dropped it into the local police station.

A few days later an official looking car turns up outside her school - she called to the office to meet the guy who's wallet she found which turned out to be the US ambassador to the UK. Suffice it to say various rewards where lavished including a stay on his yacht for her and a few friends which was quickly turned down on her behalf by the school as unseemly.

It does happen both ways don't let it put you off - Karma.

Just remembered another one. Years ago my granny was doing he shopping in a local supermarket. She finished just before the shop closed and when she was at home she round a bag with the till takings amongst her shopping!
    She got a taxi back to return it and they complained that it took her half an hour to come back with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Actually when we bought our gaff the solicitor was given one lump sum by my wife's parents. X to go to the deposit Y to go to us. They cocked it up and over paid us some how. They were then nothing but bloody rude in wanting it back. I made them send a courier in the end to pick up the cheque.

Manners cost nothing people need reminding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

DID Waterford - went into DID on Friday and picked out 5 large kitchen appliances and a new tv and a stand for the tv. The staff in there couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and even managed a nice discount for us. Everything was delivered just after lunchtime today with no fuss and our old appliances were taken away. Everything has been installed and is working perfectly. Very happy.

Harvey Norman Waterford - we were in there on Friday also. We were picking out a bed when a member of staff approached us to offer assistance. She was really friendly and chatty and we had a great chat with her. She went through everything about the bed and mattress with us and sat us down while she put through the order. She also gave us a nice discount. I had a phone call from the member of staff today letting me know that our bed and mattress should be with us early next week. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭BnB

Fey! wrote: »
    A very big thumbs up for the maternity unit in UCHG, and their special care section......

You know I never really thought of it as "Customer Service" but now that you mention it, I had a similar experience to yourself in Limerick Regional Maternity.

Our new baby had to spend a week in the Neo Natal ward after being born in April. Now - It was no big deal - It was just for observation and all was great thank God. But I just could not say enough nice things about the people working down there.

Of course they take great care of the babies and on a professional level the work they do is amazing. But I was simply blown away by... I'm not even sure how to put it...... the humanity of them.

As I said, our wee baby wasn't really sick and in a way we nearly felt a bit like we were putting them out compared to some of the poor sick wee babies there. But yet, every time you go in and talk to a nurse, you were made feel like your baby was the most important in the whole wide world.

You would think it is hard having to go home or go out for a few hours and leave your little baby.... but they were just so amazing you would never feel that. In fact, you'd nearly feel that they would look after her better than you ever would yourself.

I saw them dealing with very difficult cases. Mothers who were obviously drug addicts who seemed incapable of caring for a baby. Personally, I felt like screaming at them at times, but I saw these nurses, minding them and coaxing them and getting them to feed the baby etc etc...always doing the best for the baby.

We left the place after a week and I was just humbled at the people I met in there. Every last one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ElainemBent

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me with the awful customer service I have experienced with Fleming Florist in Naas Co. Kildare.

On the 23rd of May I called the shop to order their Sent of Summer Arrangement for delivery to my aunt in Carlow. I specifically selected this arrangement as they come in a lovely reusable window box. :D

I was assured by the owner that Flemings do deliver to Carlow.I explained to the shop owner that I wanted to include a card for my Aunt and that I would be going to Carlow that evening if it would be okay to drop it into the store after they close. The owner was very nice and explained that although they had no post box, I could pop the card under the door.

I ordered and paid over the phone with the owner (47 Euro)

I called on the 24th of May to make sure they got my card and to ask for the delivery date to be on the 25th of May. I was speaking to another staff member as the original person I dealt with was not in the store. They informed me that they don't actually deliver to Carlow, they have an arrangement with another florist in Carlow that deliver to that area on their behalf.

I explained that if I had been told this by the owner the day before I would have just brought my card to a florist in Carlow instead. They apologised for the mix up and offered to post my card to the florist they use in Carlow and postpone the delivery until the card was received. They assured me that she would call me as soon as the card was received so I would know when the flowers were being delivered.

I called Fleming Florist on the 29th of May as I had heard nothing, <SNIP> promised to follow up and call me back, but never did.

On the 31st of May my aunt called to thank me for the flowers she received that day. You can imagine my surprise when I asked her about the flower box and she told me that it was just a standard bunch of flowers tied with a ribbon!!!

I called Fleming Florist straight away, and spoke to the owner. She was very apologetic, and said that she saw the other staff member had written on the order sent to the florist in Carlow that it was just a standard arrangement tied with ribbon. She offered to send out the original order complimentary.

On the 8th of June the flowers had still not been delivered and I called Flemings Florist to query this. I had to call again on the 12th of June only to be told that the Sent of Summer Arrangement was no longer in stock!!! I told the owner at this point that I would like a refund.
    She told me that it was in Interfloras terms and conditions that they can send out a different arrangement if the arrangement order is not in stock. I explained that I did not book with Interflora, I booked over the phone with Fleming Florist, and at no point during the conversation or any of the conversations to this point was Interflora mentioned or any terms and conditions explained to me. I explained that I felt I was being very reasonable considering the amount of phone calls I had to make since my initial order, and I was not looking for a refund on my phone bill! The owner agreed to a full refund, including the delivery charge, which she initially tried to tell me I was not entitled to.

On the 27th of June I called again as I still had not received my refund, the staff member assured me that the owner would call me back before 4.30pm, but never did.

On the 28th of June I sent an e-mail requesting my refund under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 with in 30 days as laid out under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I called again on the 29th after receiving her reply about issues with Ulster Bank. Understanding the issues with Ulster Bank I agreed to wait a few weeks.

I called on the 1st of August when I had not been refunded, she told me she process the refund there and then while I was on the phone.

I called again on the 10th of August when I still had not been refunded and asked for a cheque to be posted.

On the 22nd of August I sent an e-mail querying the cheques where abouts, and she replied saying that she forgot to post it!!

I received a refund of 36euro on the 23rd of August, 3 months after my initial order, 11euro short of the amount debited from my card on the 23rd of May, and 1euro less than the arrangement price!

When I queried this via e-mail they just quoted the Interflora terms and conditions that had never been given to me.

I am putting this post up, not because I am out of pocket 11 euro, but to highlight the extremely poor customer service of Fleming Florist. I cannot believe that with all the companies closing down at the moment, that a small company would be so ignorant to treat a customer like this. It is the principal of how I was treated not the money.

I believe that I have been very polite and patient with Fleming Florist over the past 3 months, but I feel now that the way I was treated was just not good enough. There a plenty of good florists in Ireland losing business to company like this.

Please do not name employees in a public forum.

Moved to the Best/Worst Customer Service thread

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 oonagh3030

Hi

I purchased a tanning machine last October (2011) at the Beauty Show In Dublin. I paid cash and did not get a receipt ( i was told they would send it out in the post so I left my details with the company) I know I know my fault I should have insisted on getting a receipt on the day.
    Anyway this machine never worked right, always an over spray, leaking, motor shutting down and the tent I got wouldn't fold down.

When I called the Company Revive Beauty or Wild supplies and they are known as (not sure if I am allowed say the name?) any I was told if I didn't have a receipt I had no come back! Also the guy I spoke with was so bloody rude!

I am so angry with this company. What do I do next? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Is there any other way you can prove that you purchased the tanning machine from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oonagh3030

NO..I paid cash and didn't get a receipt.

But I just Googled them and it turns out I'm not the only one

http://www.whoseview.ie/review/Bad-Customer-Service--1044327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

carphone warehouse in bandon is absolutely shocking! i am never ever getting a phone in there again! i bought a blackberry there in june and ive had to send it away for repair several times, never ending story! and the staff are no help atal none of them even know how to use the phone!! never mind answer a query i have about it they just tell me to ring someone else, im sure to let everyone i know not to go there!

Merged with Best/Worst Customer Service thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

mummymoo wrote: »
    carphone warehouse in bandon is absolutely shocking! i am never ever getting a phone in there again! i bought a blackberry there in june and ive had to send it away for repair several times, never ending story! and the staff are no help atal none of them even know how to use the phone!! never mind answer a query i have about it they just tell me to ring someone else, im sure to let everyone i know not to go there!

well i used to work there and tbh, when people ask me for a blackberry i tell them straight outright how crap they are and how many problems people have with them. If your ringing a shop, they might be busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akiko

Hi everyone,

I am new to boards and I am really enjoying reading some of the threads. This is my first post and its one of praise!

I recently received excellent customer service in Brown Thomas, Dublin.

I had to make a return on a faulty item I purchased last November and I was prepared for a battle! However the staff were really great and offered me an exchange straight away! They also helped me to replace the item as it was last season and no longer available.

I am so happy I decided to complain and I was extremely impressed with how the staff handled the situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

as much as this is going to PAIN me, i feel i have to say it. i got fantastic service from a guy in pc world in sligo. back story is that a few years ago i had un-ending hassle with them when a laptop hard drive died. absolutely shocking. managers denying stuff i was told by staff, no call-backs, months of sorting out, and i swore i'd never darken their doors again.

BUT, last weekend we needed to buy speakers and were in sligo anyway so we popped in. got chatting to an eastern european guy [can i mention his name?] who let us try out different speakers and was very knowledgable and helpful. probably the only helpful member of staff i've ever encountered in any pc world, and the only one i've ever met that knew what he was talking about. they better hold on to him!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Adrienne B

I would just like to warn anyone purchasing a voucher from LivingSocial to know in advance that should anything go wrong (in my case, the merchant refusing to honour my voucher), that LivingSocial will not give you any support or make any efforts to stop you being ripped off.

They're not legally obliged to help, as their terms and conditions clearly state that your contract is with the merchant. However, I had (naively) thought that they would have some duty of care to their subscribers especially when it is clear the merchant in question is not reputable. In my case, there were numerous complaints made about the merchant by purchasers who'd had similar experiences. In fact, there were so many disgruntled customers, the merchant insisted consumer reviews were suspended on RateMyArea.com.

The LivingSocial customer service reps refuse to answer any direct questions and send vague replies to my emails, pretty much just cutting and pasting their FAQs, very deliberately not acknowledging any of the points I raised. When I would press them for a specific answer they'd just wheel out the "your contract is with the merchant" line again which is extremelyunhelpful when the merchant is refusing to engage.

They also claim to vet merchants in advance of advertising their deal yet are reluctant to explain how (because clearly in my case their vetting procedures did not work). When I told them I was aware there were numerous other unhappy purchasers (who I'd been in contact with), they said it was up to individuals to contact them themselves with a complaint and they would investigate. These individuals had all been in contact with LivingSocial but again they were just fobbed off with vague replies.

I'm still trying to get a refund from LivingSocial but expect I will end up in the Small Claims Court before I get any satisfaction.

In the meantime, it hasn't put me off using daily deal websites, although I definitely won't use LivingSocial again. I will be more cautious with the other daily deal companies and will only buy deals from merchants I am already familiar with and can trust not to take my money and run. This probably defeats the purpose of these daily deal websites, as most businesses sign up to them as a marketing tool, to get new business.

I don't blame LivingSocial for me being ripped off by this particular merchant, as these things happen, but I am extremely disappointed at their disregard for me as their subscriber, and their unwillingness to assist me in getting my money back. They've made it very clear that they've made their commission and I'm on my own!

• Advertisement

Hi - are you looking for assistance with a consumer issue, or is this more a general complaint?

Advertisement