Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

OK, me being the utter idiot that I am at times, I tried to buy Black OPs2 online pre-owned at GameStop.ie

So you can imagine my annoyance when I opened the package this morning to find Black Ops1 which I already own. Went back over my order and it was deffo my mistake so I emailed them owned up, explained what happened and pleaded for forgiveness and a refund/store credit. Within an hour I got a reply which started with this line;
    We've all done something similiar at one point so I don't see an issue with returning it and your raised it with us as soon as you could.

Gave me the option of taking it to my local store or posting it back for a full refund. I know it's only €15 but it's excellent customer service and deserves to be highlighted.

Well done GameStop!!

(I posted this comment not as a new thread in the PS forum too but it deserved to be here as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into the Best/Worst Customer Service thread

dudara

Thanks mod!!! I didn't see a gamestop thread and didn't look for a mega thread to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

AnPost is the worst:

I have bought an item through Arnott’s (http://www.arnotts.ie) online service. Surprisingly enough Arnott’s is using the highly inefficient service of AnPost http://www.anpost.ie to deliver their products (what a shame).
    I knew since the beginning that something was going wrong as I had plenty of bad experiences with AnPost (90% failures on deliveries approximately, also in my previous addresses) and poor customer service too. In this instance the postman didn’t bother to ring the bell, because he forgot the gate code to get access to my estate (all postmen are in possession of gate code of the complex). Basically without code he should have walked through the pedestrian entrance (which is constantly open, day and night) and he should have walked not more than 5 meters to ring the bell, but that was too much effort for him, so he brought the item to the depot instead (without ringing and without posting the letter “Sorry, We missed You!” by hand), and he sent me this letter from the depot instead … “Sorry we missed you”. I called straight away the AnPost customer service department (2 time, same answer) and as an answer I was told that either I needed to go and recollect the item from the depot (which is very far from where I live and from where I work as well, for me it means taking 1 hour permission from work, taking 2 luas and queuing at the post office, bringing an heavy items back home by taking 2 luas and walking a long while…all because the post man didn’t want to bother to walk 5 meters to ring the bell) or, after 5 working days, the item would be returned to Arnott’s. I insisted that I was at home in this instance, that gates were open as usual and that nobody rang my bell but the answer was the same as in their system they had “NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS”. I sent a complaint to Arnott’s asking for a refund (because delivery failed) and they started an investigation on what happened, and it is thanks to them if I could push for a second attempt delivery (probably because Arnott’s is the best AnPost customer?!). How the AnPost driver justified it...he said that he could not park safely his van…however there is plenty of parking space at my gate where even massive trucks can fit (5mt away from the ringbell) which is both safe parking and it does not obstruct the passage at all.

My suggestion? Boycott all companies which are using AnPost for deliveries. In this way AnPost will need to improve their services if they want to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good
    I'm quite the opposite. I select companies who use An Post because couriers can't be bothered looking for rural houses with a single parcel. I have only praise for the service we get from An Post and a postman who goes out of his way to give a tremendous service. Horses for course? Or can we not tar all people in all professions with the one brush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Funny, I find An Post provide excellent service and do my best to only order from companies who use them. Any online clothes shopping I do is almost always Asos or Boohoo because they use An Post and I'm confident my purchase will always arrive. If I happen to not be home the Postman leaves my package in the local Post Office so I can collect it later.

That said, I live in a rural area (part of the reason I hate relying on other couriers because they always need directions and it's awkward if I'm not home). I don't know if this influences the service of An Post? I've never had any issues with them!

I never really have a problem with AnPost now that I live in a rural area. In Sligo town if you weren't home then you had to got to the sorting office (??) to collect your package where as in the estate I live now the Post Woman knows most of the people and will drop our parcel at someone else's house knowing I'll get it. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm quite the opposite. I select companies who use An Post because couriers can't be bothered looking for rural houses with a single parcel. I have only praise for the service we get from An Post and a postman who goes out of his way to give a tremendous service. Horses for course? Or can we not tar all people in all professions with the one brush?

Agree bigtime there. Have had parcels left in shops or delivered to businesses because the courier couldn't be bothered going a couple of miles extra to deliver to me. Once, the courier gave one of my packages to a bread delivery man in Letterkenny who dropped it in a shop - the bread guy said the courier couldn't be arsed driving too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Barbarela

It seems to me as if the Post Office has hired people to sing odes on An Post.... I will share my experience and my story instead. This happened to me last year when I was living in Ballsbridge (Dublin 4). As I am working from home, I am available to any postman all the time. Sometimes they didn't even bother to ring the bell and I just found an unreadable note in my post requesting me to go and recollect the item at the post office (despite I was sitting at home all the time)... But the worse happened to me when my mum sent me an important parcel from my country, but forgot to register it. After 2 weeks without any delivery I began to be a bit nervous, three weeks passed and there was no trace of my parcel... I went to ask about it a couple of times at the Dublin 4 post office, with no success, my mother started investigation back home, I wrote several complaints to our officials and I was so desperate that I sent an email to the General Director of the Post Office in my country! Since I used to work as a journalist and I am still writing a blog, I wrote him that I will share my experience on my blog with readers of our major national newspapers if the parcel would not be found... In one day I got a reply saying they have traced the parcel and it got stuck somewhere at Dublin 4 post office!!! I have always been a big fan of Ireland and Irish people, but now I understand the joke about the Irish post mentioned in one of the Friends TV series... The truth is, you have one of the most expensive post services I have ever experienced, but zero post professionalism. It seems to me as if many postmen don’t care about making our life more difficult, about wasting our time, about wasting our money on phone calls... I eventually went to recollect the parcel (obviously without receiving any note) and the post assistant didn’t even apologize! After one month of living nightmare...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Barbarela wrote: »
    It seems to me as if the Post Office has hired people to sing odes on An Post....

...and I stopped reading. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Good
    It seems to me as if the Post Office has hired people to sing odes on An Post....

How dare you! This is a forum for opinions on service and I gave mine. I couldn't be bothered reading the rest of your epistle after that introduction but let me assure you my only involvement with An Post is as a customer who honestly receives a tremendous service from them and who has had endless problems and deplorable service from man couriers over the years.

Edit. I have just noticed that you registered today just to post that insult! Maybe the couriers have hired someone to put an anti An Post spin in play. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

After a few teething problems with our new postman, who started about a year ago (our old postman had been here for at least 10 years), i can't fault the service. Our postman has even been so kind as to interrupt his route and come to our house before 8:30 (we did not request this ever) because he knows we both leave for work and college at that time. I do 90% of my shopping online so get a lot of parcels and he tries to get to the house that bit earlier to save us going to the post office. Very decent of him.

DPD on the other hand used to make me feel murderous. We're acquainted with 2 of the delivery drivers now but in the beginning they were a nightmare, plenty of pretend attempted deliveries.

As I said I do 90% of my shopping online and have experience with Fastway, Nightline and DHL and DPD are the worst of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Never had a problem with An Post - and I'm not singing any odes for them, nor paid to do so! Our postman goes above and beyond to ensure delivery and I MUCH prefer their service to couriers, for the same reasons quoted by others here.

Seems strange to me that the last 2 people with An Post problems also have a difficulty with paragraphs and a propensity for 'posting' large walls of similar text - perhaps they should 'address' that too! But I'd never stoop to accuse them of anything ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Teagwee wrote: »
    Never had a problem with An Post - and I'm not singing any odes for them, nor paid to do so! Our postman goes above and beyond to ensure delivery and I MUCH prefer their service to couriers, for the same reasons quoted by others here.

Seems strange to me that the last 2 people with An Post problems also have a difficulty with paragraphs and a propensity for 'posting' large walls of similar text - perhaps they should 'address' that too! But I'd never stoop to accuse them of anything ... ;)

I never had a problem either with our Postie. We live in Newbridge, and cannot praise our Postman high enough.

I also agree with this poster... post badly written. Also notice new subscribers......ulterior motive?

Oh, and I also cannot let this go without praising Arnott's hight enough. I bought my house new 6 years ago, but only got the keys 10 months after I should have got them. Having bought all my furniture, I had to hire storage area ( thanks to Reids....the most unco-operative shower I ever came across...no wonder they have gone - this is NOT a reflection on their staff ). As for Arnotts? They couldn't be more accomodating, and sored our beds until we were ready. So for someone to go and ask for all companies using An Post to be boycotted?? Shove it!

I have never nor am I currently working for An Post. Just feel that I can use this opportunity to praise our Local publicly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It seems to me as if the Post Office has hired people to sing odes on An Post.... I will share my experience and my story instead. This happened to me last year when I was living in Ballsbridge (Dublin 4). As I am working from home, I am available to any postman all the time. Sometimes they didn't even bother to ring the bell and I just found an unreadable note in my post requesting me to go and recollect the item at the post office (despite I was sitting at home all the time)... But the worse happened to me when my mum sent me an important parcel from my country, but forgot to register it. After 2 weeks without any delivery I began to be a bit nervous, three weeks passed and there was no trace of my parcel... I went to ask about it a couple of times at the Dublin 4 post office, with no success, my mother started investigation back home, I wrote several complaints to our officials and I was so desperate that I sent an email to the General Director of the Post Office in my country! Since I used to work as a journalist and I am still writing a blog, I wrote him that I will share my experience on my blog with readers of our major national newspapers if the parcel would not be found... In one day I got a reply saying they have traced the parcel and it got stuck somewhere at Dublin 4 post office!!! I have always been a big fan of Ireland and Irish people, but now I understand the joke about the Irish post mentioned in one of the Friends TV series... The truth is, you have one of the most expensive post services I have ever experienced, but zero post professionalism. It seems to me as if many postmen don’t care about making our life more difficult, about wasting our time, about wasting our money on phone calls... I eventually went to recollect the parcel (obviously without receiving any note) and the post assistant didn’t even apologize! After one month of living nightmare...

LOL. Yes, An Post pay people to post online. My God. Awful post.

In fairness to them their postal service is pretty decent. Any package I get from abroad is usually with me the day after it hits Ireland on the tracking. Decent. Much better than many countries.

The only thing I will say is the staff in their depots are a bit "average" at times, and it is annoying they won't take cards to pay customs charges. But their basic service is very very good in fairness.

Good
    The complainant says she is a journalist and writes a blog. My God! If that is the standard of her literary prowess I despair for their educational system. Anyway, I wonder if her native postal system is efficient as An Post. I live in a very rural area and never fail to get next day delivery of parcels despatched before 4pm. Honestly, cannot fault them. The last courier took 3 days for a delivery from Dublin and claimed he failed to deliver as nobody was home - it transpired that he was bluffing and had not attempted delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I have always been a big fan of Ireland and Irish people, but now I understand the joke about the Irish post mentioned in one of the Friends TV series...

Unfortunately I don't think you get the joke at all. If you did you would know it has nothing to do with An Post.

Chocolate counter in the Book Centre Waterford - FALSE ADVERTISING

My bf has been going in there every Saturday for over 5 years to buy a box of chocolates for himself and they have now lost him as a customer.

Over the past few months they have been engaging in false advertising. The boxes are made up by price so this morning I was getting a box of sweets for my bf and asked for a €12.75 box of sweets. The woman behind the counter asked if I wanted a pre-made box or her to make one up, I asked for her to make one up. After she had filled the box she told me she would have to weigh it as some of the sweets she had put in the box were a bit bigger, i was confused by the need to weigh a priced box but agreed. She weighed the box and told me it was going to be €15.98. I paid and left. I rang my bf to tell him what had happened, i very rarely use the shop so i wasn't sure if this was normal or not, he said he would ring the Book Centre about it.

He spoke to a man there who insisted that i was told about this pricing system before anything was put in the box. I wasn't. My bf said that it was false advertising to advertise a box as €12.75 and charge €16 for it. The man then said "the box didn't cost €16, it cost €15 something" :rolleyes:

I believe if you request a certain price then the box should only be filled up to that price - anything after that is up to the person selling the product, if they are going to weigh every box they should have a sign up indicating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Good
    Thing is though, you accepted the price and left. You could have said that you only wanted to pay €12.75 as that is what you asked for. The assistant could then have taken out chocolates to that value. It would be like going to a butcher and asking for €5 worth of sliced ham. They slice away estimating what it will be and then weigh it. They say it actually comes to €6, you have the choice to accept this price or ask him to remove some so you pay what you asked for.

Soundman wrote: »
    Thing is though, you accepted the price and left. You could have said that you only wanted to pay €12.75 as that is what you asked for. The assistant could then have taken out chocolates to that value. It would be like going to a butcher and asking for €5 worth of sliced ham. They slice away estimating what it will be and then weigh it. They say it actually comes to €6, you have the choice to accept this price or ask him to remove some so you pay what you asked for.

Or she could've just given me what I asked for. If she had filled the box and weighed it when she thought it was getting near the price I asked for, she could've stopped putting sweets in then. They already have made up boxes for each price they offer, surely they have an idea of what it takes to fill each box.

Also, anytime I've been in a butchers and they have meat advertised at certain prices, i.e. 4 chicken fillets for €6, they don't put 4 chicken fillets in the bag and then say "oh one of them is a bit bigger so it's actually €7".

• Advertisement

Good
    Why did you not say you just wanted the other value of chocolates?

Why did you not say you just wanted the other value of chocolates?

What do you mean? I asked for a €12.75 box of chocolates as advertised. Do you mean why didn't I just ask for what I had actually requested in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Good
    Considering a lot of shops know that the Irish don't complain and just take what they are given for the most part, this is a big tactic of theirs to earn more money. Overfill the box slightly, cut a little too much ham, and so on. They know that when it comes to food especially people will just take it as they know that they will eat it and not waste the food when they get home.

Good
    What do you mean? I asked for a €12.75 box of chocolates as advertised. Do you mean why didn't I just ask for what I had actually requested in the first place?
    Now you are just being pedantic. When she weighed them all you had to say was "No, sorry. I just wanted the 12.75 box worth, please"
    Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

Of course...this is why Ireland bankrupted and nobody said anything or protested neither. All is fine for Irish people. Ireland provides excellent services and well managed. If Irish could wake up a little they could see that AnPost is plenty of debts, it is the most expensive postal service in Europe (and probably the less efficient) and they are stealing the money from all of us because of their ineptitude (AnPost bankrupted already infact). Wake up people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

pappe wrote: »
    Of course...this is why Ireland bankrupted and nobody said anything or protested neither. All is fine for Irish people. Ireland provides excellent services and well managed. If Irish could wake up a little they could see that AnPost is plenty of debts, it is the most expensive postal service in Europe (and probably the less efficient) and they are stealing the money from all of us because of their ineptitude (AnPost bankrupted already infact). Wake up people...

Your experiences don't change the fact that plenty of people have only positive things to say about An Post (none of whom were paid to say so:rolleyes:) It is what it is, I wouldn't say that something was satisfactory if it simply wasn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Your experiences don't change the fact that plenty of people have only positive things to say about An Post (none of whom were paid to say so:rolleyes:) It is what it is, I wouldn't say that something was satisfactory if it simply wasn't.

I'm going to row in with those who are happy with An Post. They've improved enormously in the past few years. Its not unusual for me to bump into my postman at the other end of Lucan on my way into work waiting at the traffic lights, and for him to rapidly go through his bag and hand me my post. They get a lot of flack- but in all honesty they are a million times better now than they were a few years ago.

Are they more expensive than other postal services? I hadn't noticed a big difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jayop wrote: »
    Are they more expensive than other postal services? I hadn't noticed a big difference.

Irish deliveries- more reliable and a bit (but not much) cheaper. International- forget it, they're way too expensive. My own bugbear is postoffices- surely there should be a dedicated queue for those posting letters/parcels/packages? I actually burst into hysterical laughter when I saw a sign indicating no packages at the counters on social welfare days....... As an organisation they seem to have lost their focus. They are trying to some sort of service provider to literally everyone- at the cost of their actual business- I mean if I want to go to the bank, I'll go to the bank- I don't want to queue behind 42 people in a pen that looks like it was designed for feeding sheep into a dipping pool- just to post a registered letter. Life is too short. Sometimes I just bite the bullet- pay the extra and UPS it- I only have a short lunch break, why should I spend it in some ridiculous queue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

pappe wrote: »

Are you aware that An Post has a Universal Service Obligation which means it must provide a delivery service to every house in Ireland. And has to charge the same price nationally for items covered by the USO, regardless of distance. And that its prices for international mail are regulated by international agreements? The USO cost An Post €60 million last year, otherwise it would have been in profit. If you went to a courier company in Wexford and asked them to deliver an envelope to Donegal for 60c what do you think they would say?

Where did you get the idea that An Post are the most expensive postal service in Europe? And what measure are you using to compare their efficiency to others?

The country may be bankrupt but not many of it's citizens are (I'm not, are you?). Otherwise An Post would not have been able to take in €2.2 billion in State Savings in 2012 and see the overall total held for the NTMA increase from €7 billion in 2007 to €16.2 billion at the end of 2012.

Advertisement