Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

WELCOME to Irish type of business!
    6 years ago, when I moved here from continental europe, I was shocked by such a slow-go type of customer service here.
    For me it's unacceptable to wait for a email response longer than 1 business day, which is still a norm here in Ireland.
    No one uses online services here, lack of email support.. etc.

or and btw, did you try to find (or made an appointment) a plumber or electrical here in Ireland?
    Try! - you will get a fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

If I've no phone credit, I can't call Airtricity.
    If I email them with an important query, I have to wait 2-3 days for a fûckin reply.

Really gets on my wick.

What's worse is, SKY don't have a call back service either. I can't even email them to request a call back because the emails are for UK customers only!!
    I absolutely have to buy credit to call their number. How such a big company can't offer such a simple service is really beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Irish customer service is absolutely, positively dire at the best of times. To deal with a nice company is such a refreshing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

andersat2 wrote: »
    WELCOME to Irish type of business!
    or and btw, did you try to find (or made an appointment) a plumber or electrical here in Ireland?
    Try! - you will get a fun!

Ha yes for sure! Funnily it was the other way around for us. Only today did the boiler man, who works for the service company we pay a yearly fee to, turn up out of the blue expecting access to the roof area/plant room to service the boilers. It's a building managed by a property agent who requires notice before opening up restricted areas. If his company or even him had bothered to ring ahead to confirm, access would have been sorted out, saving his company money....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    Ryanair & Easyjet do this as well. It's not a showstopper to me. I book in for free, get an aisle seat with AL and all is well...

What? No they don't. Ryanair anyway certainly doesn't force you to pay for an assigned seat.

When you try to check in online with Aer Lingus, for a start there's two separate buttons for checking in depending on whether it's more than 30 hours before your flight (because, y'know, having the software calculate that is too complicated).
    If it's more than 30 hours before your flight, you can't proceed to check in unless you select a seat. And you can't select a seat without paying for it. Unless I missed something that's not very obvious. (If it's less than 30 hours you can go ahead and be automatically assigned a seat).

Just for good measure, AL boarding passes run multiple first names together and truncate the name after 19 characters. So if you book as Arthur Terence McMyname, your boarding pass has MCMYNAME/ARTHURTERE on it, which given it's not the name on poor Arthur Terence's passport, could conceivably cause him issues at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

MOH wrote: »
    What? No they don't. Ryanair anyway certainly doesn't force you to pay for an assigned seat.

Want a bet? I always take care when booking Ryanair to uncheck the boxes and double-check what I've chosen before I actually book the flight. They are notorious for sneaking in charges. Easyjet are the same, but haven't used them since moving here
    When you try to check in online with Aer Lingus, for a start there's two separate buttons for checking in depending on whether it's more than 30 hours before your flight (because, y'know, having the software calculate that is too complicated).
    If it's more than 30 hours before your flight, you can't proceed to check in unless you select a seat. And you can't select a seat without paying for it. Unless I missed something that's not very obvious. (If it's less than 30 hours you can go ahead and be automatically assigned a seat).

Not a big deal. It's obvious, isn't it? If you want to check in more than 30 hrs before, then you pay for an assigned seat. If like me, it doesn't matter where we sit - we simply check in the day before. And it's free. Why the song and dance? Either you want to pay for the seating or you don't! It's not as though the charges are hidden...
    Just for good measure, AL boarding passes run multiple first names together and truncate the name after 19 characters. So if you book as Arthur Terence McMyname, your boarding pass has MCMYNAME/ARTHURTERE on it, which given it's not the name on poor Arthur Terence's passport, could conceivably cause him issues at the airport.

Again - not a biggie to me, but suppose it might be an issue for others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Heatons online :

ordered 2 items and opted to have them sent to the local branch. website says 5 working days , took 7 working days til I got a call to say they were in the branch. Called into the branch today to collect the items (money has already been debited from my account) and they couldn't find the items?

waited almost 30 minutes while they searched the stockroom. Awaiting a callback from the Manager.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Customer service... I wish....I didnt even get to buy anything.....:confused:

Went into PC on thursday evening, 6'ish....wanting to buy a new fridge/freezer.....picked a couple but decided to look for assistance as we had a couple of questions...lad leaning against some fridges down the shop playing with his phone ...i wandered down and asked him... in his broken but perfectly good english he said he would get someone to help...:confused:
    5 minutes later, but feeling like a hour.....no-one ever came...........we left :mad:

Maybe they dont need my business as i thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

Power City in Fonthill and Tallaght seem to have only 2 people on the floor. Even if the shop is empty and you want to ask a question they always seem to be in a hurry to get away from you.

I would never buy anything from Soundstore in Cork again. Worst customer experience ever when buying a washing machine which blew up a week later. They really messed me around...

Was in the market for a fridge freezer last year. My husband persuaded me to go to Soundstore just to check out what they have. Nearly settled on a Bosch, but wanted to check a couple of things. We waited with another couple for ages. No-one came. Then a older lady walked in with a young girl. Magically, an assistant appeared from no-where and served the lady! Of course we and the other waiting couple left . The was E400 down the swanee.

Went to Harvey Norman in the end. At least the staff are helpful, attentive, know what they're talking about and seem to want your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Went to Harvey Norman in the end. At least the staff are helpful, attentive, know what they're talking about and seem to want your business.
    They're nice and helpful but they don't know what they're talking about from my last experience there.. and from someone I know who used to work there.

PeteK* wrote: »
    They're nice and helpful but they don't know what they're talking about from my last experience there.. and from someone I know who used to work there.

Depends on who you get I suppose. I've bought laptops (x2) and a fridge freezer. On all occasions, we dealt with salespeople who seemed to know what they were talking about and gave helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

I would never buy anything from Soundstore in Cork again. Worst customer experience ever when buying a washing machine which blew up a week later. They really messed me around...

Was in the market for a fridge freezer last year. My husband persuaded me to go to Soundstore just to check out what they have. Nearly settled on a Bosch, but wanted to check a couple of things. We waited with another couple for ages. No-one came. Then a older lady walked in with a young girl. Magically, an assistant appeared from no-where and served the lady! Of course we and the other waiting couple left . The was E400 down the swanee.

Which Soundstore?

Not too long ago I rang the Soundstore in Wilton to check if they still had a certain printer in stock (I needed one asap). The lady that answered was obnoxious and acted as if I was a nuisance for phoning the store.

This year I went to Harvey Normans (Kinsale Road) and bought an item. It was behind a display. The young guy working there, got it and then rushed to a computer to get my details and then rushed to the checkout. The store was virtually empty. What the hell was the rush for?

Unacceptable rudeness from both shops.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It was the Soundstore in Blackpool...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Worztron wrote: »
    Which Soundstore?

Not too long ago I rang the Soundstore in Wilton to check if they still had a certain printer in stock (I needed one asap). The lady that answered was obnoxious and acted as if I was a nuisance for phoning the store.

This year I went to Harvey Normans (Kinsale Road) and bought an item. It was behind a display. The young guy working there, got it and then rushed to a computer to get my details and then rushed to the checkout. The store was virtually empty. What the hell was the rush for?

That actually sounds great! Have bought stuff in HN and had to wait for ages for the worker to get things sorted.

But maybe your guy was bursting for a pee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Well for me the best is Debenhams store in newbridge. Went in there to get an outfit for my son for a wedding but they didn't have the trousers in his size. The manager was on the case and even went as far as going up to Dublin to get the trousers for me. They returned calls when they said they would and followed through on everything they said.
    Amazing service. That particular manager put my faith back into customer service.....well done Debenhams and thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

This is more amusing than anything else...If a service is bad you complain, if a service is good..well...I only think its fair you compliment.
    My local Lidl is great, friendly service, nice tidy shop, nice fresh stock, so I decided I'd bang off an email just to say fair play.
    I finished it by saying something along the lines of "my only gripe is that the smell of the fresh pastries from the bakery make it very hard to get some actual shopping done" :pac:

I got the following response:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to alert us to your experience. Without customer comments we are unable to maintain the high standard of service we aim for.

We are sorry that your visit was an unpleasant experience for you and we would like to offer our apologies for any upset caused. We regularly monitor and retrain our staff in order to ensure that our customers receive the best service possible. Please be advised that the District Manager will fully investigate your comments and will take the appropriate action to help prevent any such occurrences from happening again.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Regards,
    Customer Services Dept

followed half an hour later by:

Dear Uberbeamerman,

Our previous email was sent to you in error. We would like to sincerely apologise for the confusion.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our the store in question. We would like to assure you that your comments have been passed to the Sales Operations for the area.

sigh

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Superquinn gets a bit of rant and praise.The rant is they never delivered half of my shopping,rang when i realised and told it would be there with 1 1/2 hours.Great except it didnt get delivered.
    Rang again was told it would be first thing in teh morning,again didnt materilise.Rang and to be fair she was very nice on the phone and got straight on to them.It was delivered soon after.

The praise is the manager rang me and was very sorry and apolagetic.Told me i was getting €20 voucher as a way of an apology.That was Monday and the voucher arrived yesterday.So 1 day between her calling me i got the voucher.I want to say thank you they were great to deal with

Which Soundstore?

I don't think the HN guy was rude TBH. Personally, I would prefer to be served quickly and with the minimum of fuss. I hate it when shops try to push additional products on you that you don't want and didn't ask for. It irritates me no end.

Back home in London, I once went into Comet (now defunct) to buy an oven. Not only did I wait ages to be served, but the spotty oik who did eventually appear tried to push aftercare products on me. When I politely declined, he then tried to make out I was tight and stupid for not inflating his pay packet. In the end, I walked out leaving the guy in mid-sentence. I bought the oven from a local Euronics guy who was absolutely lovely and really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Which Soundstore?

so you need a printer asap and give out when you are served quickly....:confused:

• Advertisement

I don't think the HN guy was rude TBH.

I disagree. I was able to catch up with a needlessly quick walk. I hope he does not act the same way if an elderly person is there.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

so you need a printer asap and give out when you are served quickly....:confused:

The asap part was an aside. They were 2 different places and times where 2 different items were bought. To say it was being "served quickly" would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Best for me, Marks & Sparks. Once ever, I had a bad experience there, with someone grouchy. Overall, standard is very good. Worst, beyond doubt, in my experience, Peter Marks. Still recovering, after a recent experience and definitely won't be back. Receptionist in Liffey Valley, the worst I have EVER experienced. Appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

^^^^ So true about Marks and Sparks. Used to do most of my food shopping there. It didn't matter if there was 5 oldies paying with purses full of coins in front, the cashiers were always happy and friendly. And most importantly, their food is beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Dreadful customer service at Allied Irish Banks.

They closed down a very busy branch and kept open a little place in a distant town that just cannot cater for the customers. The only explanation I can see for this is that there was political pressure brought to bear to keep this particular branch open. The customer area is not much bigger than a decent sized kitchen, with no privacy, insufficient queuing space and only two chairs for anyone who has to wait.

I visited their large branch in the main county town several weeks ago and the service there was just as bad. I only wanted to use the ATM but it was not working so having plenty of time on my hands, I joined the queue inside. It took 50 minutes to get from the door to the counter (where there were only two people on duty) and while I did not mind as I had plenty of time that day, surely that is just treating the customer with contempt.

The standard reply to any complaints is that you now have internet banking and wait for this – they have a mobile bank doing the rounds once per week. Well, it may come as a surprise to the suits at AIB but there are plenty of banking transactions that you cannot carry out on the internet, not to mention the fact that many of their customers cannot use or do not have access to the internet. As for the van doing the rounds once per week, I will leave that one to the people who write comedy sketches.

Hopefully another bank will soon enter the Irish retail banking market. There is an opening there for a bank that gives at least some consideration to the needs of the customers.

What are people’s experiences with Bank of Ireland as I was thinking about transferring my business to them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

solas111 wrote: »
    What are people’s experiences with Bank of Ireland as I was thinking about transferring my business to them?

Very friendly and nice staff- let down by different sections not talking to one another and general incompetence. They are very pleasant to talk to- but...... getting anything done, is still damn frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

AIB's response to a simple query a few days after I moved to London: Keep me on hold for nearly 10 minutes when it's already an international call anyway, and then suggest that I fly back to Ireland to sort the issue.

Twatwaffles.

As soon as I have my credit card bill paid off I want no further dealings with that shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Very friendly and nice staff- let down by different sections not talking to one another and general incompetence. They are very pleasant to talk to- but...... getting anything done, is still damn frustrating.

Yes this exactly. Their phone operators are always pleasant and the staff in my local branch are great. However their head office lets them down and I feel like they're slowly trying to cut down on staff in the branches... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why would a customer want something from the HR department? Are you by any chance a disgruntled former employee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Jcgobrien wrote: »
    there so called HR department is a complete joke if you want something off them you have to go chasing them they don't no how to write a letter they can't get the date right and they can't sign a letter off its a total joke !

You chased them (...Around the shop?) for a letter and they gave you one with the wrong date and forgot to sign off at the end? Sloppy <SNIP>.

Did this happen when you were in there to get the messages?

If I ever go to Clane, I won't even bother asking them for a letter in SuperValu. Thanks for the heads up.

Advertisement