Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

hdowney wrote: »
    I was going to, but the number finished transferring today (and the phone turned up) so I guess there'd be nit much point since it's not something I'm gonna go through again anytime soon. Sorry for snapping btw, bad day

No problem, it's good that its finally arrived:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Went for lunch in The Cellar in Galway today. Found a hair in my food....while chewing it and told the waitress. Was halfway through my food and felt ill after chewing on a hair so couldn't eat any more. She apologised and took the food away. Went to pay, told the cashier about the hair, and was told I wouldn't be charged for the chips, as that's where the hair was. Shouldn't have accepted this, but I did and left.
    I then emailed a complaint to the manager, who did not apologise in his reply, and even said he was glad that the staff didn't charge the €2 for the chips, despite the hair causing me to not eat half my food and feel ill! I fully expected an apology at least, or as I've do e in my own job in the past, an invitation to come back and have some food to make amends. No such joy there, and I won't ever be returning, having been a loyal customer for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Amazon.co.uk
    Incredibly slow when replying to questions on online chatting system.

54 minutes spent with the first person, then 45 minutes with the second person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Boaty wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk

Choose the 'Ring Me' option. I got a callback within 20 minutes, and my issue solved immediately. Total call length less than 3 minutes in total. I gave up on the chat- I was going around and around in circles (for over an hour).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Boaty wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk

Don't forget to tell people they gave you a 10% discount when you did get speaking to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bought some presents online and started to wrap everything today. When I was checking everything I noticed that one of the things I bought in M&S was faulty. Sent an email about it and within half an hour a replacement had been arranged. I also checked a toy that I bought on Amazon. Again, it was faulty and wouldn't work properly. Within 15 minutes a refund had been arranged. I was pretty pissed off at the whole situation when I realised that both things were faulty but it was handled really well by both M&S and Amazon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Scan.co.uk, I think I praised them also a few months back for their amazing next day delivery, really wasn't expecting that for standard postage.

Anywho, I bought a custom laptop last week and they rang this morning saying the chassis is out of stock on the ordered 15.6" one. I was offered a full refund or a free upgrade to the 17.3" model. Needless to say I took the latter. Thanks a lot again Scan! Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Samsung.

I have an American style fridge freezer that was in my house when I bought it. Last night it stopped working.
    I rang samsung this morning and they told me that as I never had anyone out to the house to look at this before there was no call out charge for a guy to come out. I got a phone call at 1 from a guy who said he'd be there by 2. I asked my father to go to my house and wait for this dude as I'm in work. Dad just rang to tell me my fridge is back working and the chap is gone. Yes it cost me €170, but considering the alternative was a replacement for 1000, and the unit is well outside warranty, and first contact was a little after 9 this morning that's a big well done to samsung in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Max Benjamin Candles: candle wick only burnt 1/2 way so emailed and asked was this usual and 2 days later I had a replacement delivered by courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Went into a DID shop recently looking for a light bulb for a Belling oven.

Was told they do sell bulbs, but light bulbs for Belling ovens need to be ordered from Belling directly as normal bulbs won't fit.

Fair enough.

Was in Dealz later and chanced getting 2 of them for €1.50 (they looked the same size). They fit and work perfectly.

Thinking back now, I think he just wasn't bothered getting up and getting one for me!

Thats bad enough, but if you're going to be lazy just say you have none! Don't give out bull$hit information too.

I know they wouldn't make much on something like selling a light bulb, but I won't forget their awful customer service next time I make a large purchase. Jerks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Went into a DID shop recently looking for a light bulb for a Belling oven.

Was told they do sell bulbs, but light bulbs for Belling ovens need to be ordered from Belling directly as normal bulbs won't fit.

Fair enough.

Was in Dealz later and chanced getting 2 of them for €1.50 (they looked the same size). They fit and work perfectly.

Thinking back now, I think he just wasn't bothered getting up and getting one for me!

Thats bad enough, but if you're going to be lazy just say you have none! Don't give out bull$hit information too.

I know they wouldn't make much on something like selling a light bulb, but I won't forget their awful customer service next time I make a large purchase. Jerks.

You were hardly in Blanchardstown were you ? Because I was only just giving out about the exact same thing myself a few weeks ago.
    Went in looking for a tv. 3 of them standing around scratching their behinds. When I did ask for help I was told they were busy and would be with me in a minute. I finally gave up n started to walk off when one had the cop on to stop me.
    I nearly wasn't going to buy there only I couldn't find the same tv cheaper anywhere else.
    To add salt to my wound when I did buy it, I had to ask them to carry it out n the look of disgust on their faces.
    Wasn't a happy bunny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I'm browsing in Power City or DID and I see a sales guy coming towards me, I just ask him if they sell fuses for 13 amp plugs and he runs a mile!

Either you're about to buy a large appliance or you're a tyre kicker (time-waster).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Best/Worst Customer Service Thread

dudara

BTW - and this is a genuine question - do you need special bulbs for an oven? i.e. should they be able to withstand high temps and use in an oven?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Typical household lightbulbs can withstand up to 800 degrees, so I don't see why not.

You were hardly in Blanchardstown were you ? Because I was only just giving out about the exact same thing myself a few weeks ago.
    Went in looking for a tv. 3 of them standing around scratching their behinds. When I did ask for help I was told they were busy and would be with me in a minute. I finally gave up n started to walk off when one had the cop on to stop me.
    I nearly wasn't going to buy there only I couldn't find the same tv cheaper anywhere else.
    To add salt to my wound when I did buy it, I had to ask them to carry it out n the look of disgust on their faces.
    Wasn't a happy bunny either.

No, it was the Tallaght branch. Useless bunch of $hites.

dudara wrote: »
    Merged into Best/Worst Customer Service Thread

dudara

BTW - and this is a genuine question - do you need special bulbs for an oven? i.e. should they be able to withstand high temps and use in an oven?

I got my oven repaired recently and was told by the repair man that when replacing my light bulb to make sure it's one for an oven. The ones for fridges are identical in appearance.

Typical household lightbulbs can withstand up to 800 degrees, so I don't see why not.

Household bulbs do burn very hot, but they are also in clean environments with plenty of cooling. An oven is an enclosed heated space, potentially with lots of humidity and contaminants (i.e. grease spatters). I'm just being cautious here and asking this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Brief story that I hope may be of use as a heads up for other people who may be moving house.

I am due to get the keys to my first home this Friday. I had to call to the property this evening to check everything was fine internally prior to finalising purchase. The electricity was disconnected, a note from Airtricity dated 3rd December (date tennents vacated) addressed to 'new owner' saying to contact them within 5 days or the supply may be disconnected. As we did not have access to the property prior to this we weren't to know.

I rang Airtricity on the number provided and finally got through to a customer care rep. I was informed that as the new owner I would have to pay BOTH the disconnection fee AND the reconnection fee :confused: The leaflet states this as 79.45euro each, totalling 158.90 euro.

I asked for clarification as I was not the owner at time of disconnection. Rep went to check with supervisor and returned saying that absolutely, without doubt, I was liable for the disconnection fee also. He soften this by saying its an ESB network charge, not theirs and he was sorry but could process the 158.90euro. I asked for clarification again and was told clearly that to reconnect to the network would cost me the full 158.90euro.

I contacted ESB / Electric Ireland. Provided all the same information. I was told reconnection fee is 79.45euro only, and I am not liable for the disconnection charge (as I thought!)

Lesson: DO NOT always take for granted the answers you are given on the phone. I had card in hand ready for payment and would have been none the wiser had I not rang Electric Ireland.

Very unprofessional conduct by Airtricity, especially when a 'supervisor' provided the information. Needless to say we wont be using them and I will not be recommending them to anyone. Chancers!! :mad:

Merged into Best / Worst Customer Service thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Brief story that I hope may be of use as a heads up for other people who may be moving house.

I am due to get the keys to my first home this Friday. I had to call to the property this evening to check everything was fine internally prior to finalising purchase. The electricity was disconnected, a note from Airtricity dated 3rd December (date tennents vacated) addressed to 'new owner' saying to contact them within 5 days or the supply may be disconnected. As we did not have access to the property prior to this we weren't to know.

I rang Airtricity on the number provided and finally got through to a customer care rep. I was informed that as the new owner I would have to pay BOTH the disconnection fee AND the reconnection fee :confused: The leaflet states this as 79.45euro each, totalling 158.90 euro.

I asked for clarification as I was not the owner at time of disconnection. Rep went to check with supervisor and returned saying that absolutely, without doubt, I was liable for the disconnection fee also. He soften this by saying its an ESB network charge, not theirs and he was sorry but could process the 158.90euro. I asked for clarification again and was told clearly that to reconnect to the network would cost me the full 158.90euro.

I contacted ESB / Electric Ireland. Provided all the same information. I was told reconnection fee is 79.45euro only, and I am not liable for the disconnection charge (as I thought!)

Lesson: DO NOT always take for granted the answers you are given on the phone. I had card in hand ready for payment and would have been none the wiser had I not rang Electric Ireland.

Very unprofessional conduct by Airtricity, especially when a 'supervisor' provided the information. Needless to say we wont be using them and I will not be recommending them to anyone. Chancers!! :mad:

The likelihood is that Electric Ireland would have charged you the disconnection also if they had been the supplier. They are not charging for the disconnection because they have not been charged it by ESB Networks as they were not the supplier when the property was disconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

All companies do it- without exception- where the power has been disconnected. It is an issue for potential owners.

This crops up again and again and again- over in the Accommodation and Property forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I'm not even going to comment on the ethics of doing this- but lets just say it appears to be what a lot of our Boardsie friends are doing........

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Plek Trum wrote: »

If I lost one of my customers, and he comes back with the business, I would welcome him with open arms. Would I charge him for the privilege - you must be joking. Only monopolies with a free hand and no state supervision can do that and get away with it. A bone of contention I have is the low-usage Electric Ireland electricity charge. In my case the usage cost amounts to about €7/€8 (vacant premises) but when all the extras are added, the bill exceeds €70.Can I impose a charge on my customer and say I am charging him 10 times the cost (of running the service) because he does not use my services that often.

The whole thing is mad and as seen from the Central Remedial Clinic "top up" payments to CEO's and directors, very badly policed by the Regulators - so what's new? Will anything be done - no. The people are aware of what is going on, but will the regulatory authorities and Government finally start to act? Public utilities, state agencies and the Government (and now the charity organisations) are taking too much from an empty pot (using borrowed money) and have not yet led by example and reduced their costs and wages. If they do this, then they can say they are feeling the pain, just as badly as the general public are suffering. If you are a genuine decent person in this country, you have no chance, just bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    If I lost one of my customers, and he comes back with the business, I would welcome him with open arms. Would I charge him for the privilege - you must be joking. Only monopolies with a free hand and no state supervision can do that and get away with it.

Not really, UPC did it to me twice. Moved into a rented flat, there were bills arriving address to "The resident". Rang UPC, told them I'd just moved in and I wanted to get connected, they refused unless I paid whatever outstanding balance was there from the previous resident. Which obviously they never got anyway, plus I just did without TV for 6 months so they lost my business too.

A few years later, moved from my then current place to a new house. Rang them to arrange transferring the account, told everything was fine, got cut off a while later. When I rang they had no record of me ever having an account with them at either my old address or my new address, or my current or previous landline or mobile. They then said if they were to restore service they'd treat me as a new customer and charge a 50 quid connection fee. Had Sky inside a week. For good measure UPC later started sending threatening letters demanding the return of a digital set top box which I'd never had in the first place. Quality customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I placed an order with Boohoo on December 1st. Delivery to Ireland 5 days. To cut a long story short, parcel arrived 11 days later, in fact I only got a dispatch notice on the day the parcel should have arrived.

Notice parcel was very small to have contained four dresses. Opened it there were only two. Hours later I get a refund email saying that money was being returned to my account in 3-5 working days for items that were unavailable.

My main issue is lack of communication. At no time being made aware that two of the items I wanted were out of stock (my account still says today that these items were sent). At no time being alerted that their dispatch team were overloaded and that they could no longer stand over their 5 day delivery to Ireland schedule.

To add insult to injury, one of the dresses I actually got looks like it was made by a blind person, seams horrendously crooked and poorly done.

Will be avoiding in future :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

athtrasna wrote: »
    I placed an order with Boohoo on December 1st. Delivery to Ireland 5 days. To cut a long story short, parcel arrived 11 days later, in fact I only got a dispatch notice on the day the parcel should have arrived.

Notice parcel was very small to have contained four dresses. Opened it there were only two. Hours later I get a refund email saying that money was being returned to my account in 3-5 working days for items that were unavailable.

My main issue is lack of communication. At no time being made aware that two of the items I wanted were out of stock (my account still says today that these items were sent). At no time being alerted that their dispatch team were overloaded and that they could no longer stand over their 5 day delivery to Ireland schedule.

To add insult to injury, one of the dresses I actually got looks like it was made by a blind person, seams horrendously crooked and poorly done.

Will be avoiding in future :mad::mad::mad:

When you order on line you run the risk of bad service and the receipt of a bad product. In your case this has happened and then the follow-up service and communication from Boohoo was sloppy. I find from experience while dealing with the larger organisations that the personal touch is lost because each time you contact them you will end up dealing with a different customer service person each time. The best method is to get the full name of a particular person in the organisation and keep dealing with him/her and follow up each conversation with an e-mail.

In any case, for the sake of their reputation, they should be more professional in dealing with your short-shipment and bad quality of garment. Boohoo are based in Burnley and Manchester, so it is likely that the product you received may have originated from a low-cost manufacturing country on the Asian Continent, where most times they will use child-labour, hence the low-quality.
    Most times we do not question the origin and labour conditions, as we are only interested in getting the best bargain possible and ignore the ethical implications.

Is it not better to try and shop local, as I would think that your local store, (small & large) will bargain with you and give you a good deal. The plus is that you can see what you buying and the business is kept in your local area to the benefit of the economy. These are the issues you must weigh up before ordering on line.

Good luck and I hope the issue is sorted out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I entered the kiosk to get a latte coffee to go.
    The man behind the counter wanted me to try for free some Polish food. He said he did'nt want me to pay. I even a got a strange tasting drink, well to my Irish tastebuds, made with beetroot. Anyway, I 'll return soon.;)

• Advertisement

gugleguy wrote: »
    I entered the kiosk to get a latte coffee to go.
    The man behind the counter wanted me to try for free some Polish food. He said he did'nt want me to pay. I even a got a strange tasting drink, well to my Irish tastebuds, made with beetroot. Anyway, I 'll return soon.;)

Is this The Square in Tallaght?

Advertisement